Thinking of selling old jewelry? These are the common ways to resell fine gold, diamond, gemstone and other jewelry:
- Local jewelry store
- Local cash for gold store
- Pawn shop
- Consignment shop
- Professional jewelry buyers online
Where can I sell my jewelry for the most money?
There are highly reputable jewelry buyers like that will help you sell your jewelry quickly, safely and for a fair price. Below are my recommendations, based on my own personal experience selling old diamond and gold jewelry to each of them, plus user reviews, Better Business Bureau ratings, and quality of their customer service.
CashforGoldUSA is a professional jewelry buyer I recommend for selling gold, diamond, silver and other jewelry that is worth less than $1,000. Pays within 24 hours.
Worthy is a jewelry marketplace specializing in diamonds and works with items that will sell for $1,000 or more.
Both online jewelry buyers CashforGold and Worthy have A+ ratings with the Better Business Bureau and overall positive customer reviews. I have sold jewelry with both of them and had positive experiences.
For most gold, silver, platinum and diamond jewelry, I recommend CashforGoldUSA which is accredited and rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and guarantees you will get paid within 24 hours.Consider selling old jewelry now as gold prices hit record highs. Use CashforGoldUSA's online gold calculator with today's gold price estimates.
- Where can I sell my jewelry for the most money?
- Best place to sell gold and jewelry: CashforGoldUSA
- Other places to sell jewelry
Where to sell jewelry: Reviews of 4 jewelry buyers
While you can use a local pawn shop, you’re going to get a better offer from an online jewelry buyer like CashforGoldUSA. Online companies that buy gold, silver, diamonds and other fine jewelry typically have lower overhead and steeper competition than in-person, brick and mortar jewelry buyers in your local community.
Here is a quick comparison of top online jewelry buyers I've personally used:
Best jewelry buyer where you can sell gold and jewelry: CashforGoldUSA
Wondering about the best site to sell jewelry? Our No. 1 recommendation for selling jewelry online is CashforGoldUSA.
CashforGoldUSA and its sister sites, CashforDiamondsUSA.com and CashforSilverUSA.com, are owned by the same parent industry, C.J. Environmental, a family business founded in 1975, that is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating. C.J. Environmental has paid out more than $156 million for gold, diamond and jewelry sales, and was found by a Fox Business News investigation to pay three times its competitors:
CashforGoldUSA pays within 24 hours, and insures your item up to $100,000 with Jeweler's Mutual insurance. They also pay a 10% bonus above their estimate if you ship within 7 days. They guarantee that you are 100% satisfied with the highest price in the market — or they will return your item immediately, for free.
In my jewelry box was a lower-valued ring that a relative had given me when I married. I was now divorced. Time to go!
I had a good experience selling a ring with CashforGoldUSA, and others have as well, including these on the BBB profile:
From past research I’ve done as a business journalist on selling gold jewelry (including dental fillings. I’m not kidding), I know mail-in gold buyers like this can be a good deal.
I decided to try CashforGoldUSA.
How to sell jewelry online with CashforGoldUSA:
It was really easy.
- On the CashforGoldUSA site, I plugged in my name and address on their website.
- Within three days I received a USPS mailer. You can also request a FedEx mailer. Both come with tracking numbers.
- I stuck the ring in the mailer, dropped it in the mailbox.
- The next day I received an email with an offer for $159, which I accepted.
- A $159 PayPay payment within 24 hours. You can also get paid by check or bank transfer. BOOM! Ring was sold.
This video does a good job explaining how CashforGoldUSA works:
Pros of CashforGoldUSA
- Easy, straight-forward process.
- Legit gold buyer with a A+ Better Business Bureau rating.
- Pays within 24 hours.
- Free insurance up to $5,000 — and up to $100,000 upon request.
- One of the older online gold and jewelry buyers with more than 35 years experience.
- Quick way to get cash for jewelry, watches, scrap, silverware and silver coins, dental and other forms of silver, gold and platinum, as well as diamond jewelry and loose diamonds.
- You decide whether you want to accept their offer, or not. 100% free, immediate return.
- Earn a 10% bonus above your quote price when you send your item in within 7 days.
Cons of CashforGoldUSA
- Unlike Worthy, the price they offer is based on one evaluation — not several bids from multiple jewelry buyers.
- Generally not a fit for high-end or designer jewelry or large diamonds with a resale value above $5,000.
In short: For quick sales of modest jewelry or gold or silver, CashforGoldUSA is a solid jewelry buyer for fast money and trustworthy service.
You can also sell your gold and silver jewelry, coins, silverware (and dental work!) through CashforGoldUSA, the parent company (which has nothing to do with the scandal-ridden Cash4Gold, which was embroiled in lawsuits and scandal for its 2009 Super Bowl ads).
Have questions about the CashforGoldUSA service? Read their FAQs.
Other jewelry buyers you could use to sell jewelry
While we recommend Worthy for higher-end jewelry, and CashforGoldUSA for fine gold jewelry, as well as lower-cost items, there are other reputable online jewelry buyers, too.
Jewelry buyer: Worthy
Do you have a gold necklace, wedding band, earrings, gold watch or coins? or fine, old, unworn jewelry or watches cluttering your jewelry box, or safety security box?
Many people inherit jewelry like necklaces, earrings, brooches, and watches from loved ones — items that may have complicated emotions attached, no matter how lovely or valuable they are.
If you have jewelry valued at $1,000 or more, including a diamond engagement ring, other diamond or gemstone jewelry, or branded items from Tiffany, Cartier or another high-end jeweler, then consider jewelry buyer Worthy.com, an online marketplace where hundreds of vetted buyers bid on your item.
Typically, the center diamond of an engagement ring of at least .5 carats will sell for $1,000. Worthy is A+ BBB rated, and insures your item up to $100,000 with Lloyds of London.
How to sell jewelry online with Worthy.com:
- Go to Worthy.com, and get a free estimate for your engagement ring, earrings, watch/timepiece, bracelet or other diamond or fine gold or gemstone jewelry.
- After you enter your information, Worthy will send you a free, insured FedEx or USPS mailer that you can track online. In a few days you will receive a free GIA certified appraisal with all the specifications of your item, and an estimate of how much your item will receive in auction.
- Once you approve the parameters of the sale, watch the auction bids roll in, and see how much your item earned.
- Receive cash payment for your jewelry by Paypal within 24 hours, or a check or bank transfer within a few business days.
Pros of selling with Worthy.com
- A+ BBB rating
- High consumer reviews
- Free lab GIA report
- Cool website that helps you understand the value of your jewelry
Cons of selling with Worthy.com
- Takes longer than other platforms
- Some users find the process overly complicated
I sold a ring on Worthy, and had a really good experience. Here is why I like selling jewelry online with Worthy: my Worthy review.
Jewelry buyer: WP Diamonds
WP Diamonds is another big jewelry buyer in the diamond, luxury jewelry, handbag and watch resale space.
WP Diamonds has a solid reputation as an online jewelry buyer, and promises to get you a fair price for your diamond or designer jewelry, loose stones (diamonds of at least .5 carat), handbags and watches.
However, theirs is a more traditional buyback platform, in that WP Diamond's in-house expert will evaluate your jewelry, and then make an offer. Take it or leave it.
Their team of GIA trained gemologists and industry veterans have the necessary knowledge and expertise to accurately price your diamond goods based on the current second-hand diamond market.
WP Diamonds pros
- Reputable jewelry buyer with an A+ BBB rating and over a thousand customer reviews
- Clean, easy-to-use site for selling jewelry online
- Pays cash for your jewelry
- Easy process, including FedEx round-trip shipping, and $150,000 insurance
- Choose to do business via email or phone
- Sell in as little as 24 hours: WP Diamonds buys your jewelry directly, meaning that there are no online listings or auctions to wait for. No haggling or negotiating, simply their best price upfront.
- No fees are deducted from your final offer, the amount you hear is the amount you get paid.
WP Diamonds cons
- The evaluation is done by an internal appraiser, not a neutral third-party laboratory like GIA, which Worthy uses.
- There is just one offer, not a price set by a dynamic marketplace
In summary, WP Diamonds is a reputable online diamond and jewelry buyer, that has been around for a long time. It is the fastest way to sell diamonds safely online to the experts. You can read my WP Diamonds review if you want to learn more about this company.
WPDiamonds vs Worthy
WPDiamonds and Worthy are both reputable companies that buy jewelry. There are, however, a few important differences. WPD specializes in diamonds, designer jewelry, luxury watches and handbags.
The second difference is in the evaluation process and fees. WP Diamonds' GIA trained gemologists and jewelry experts analyze the second-hand diamond market to provide a fair, honest and competitive price quote for your items. If you are happy with the price quote, they will pay for the shipping and insurance to send your items in for an in-person evaluation and final price. There are no costs deducted from their final offer.
Worthy, on the other hand, gives you an instant estimate, and then conducts a GIA-certified evaluation to come to a more accurate price estimate for your jewelry. There are 5-22% commission fees deducted from the final offer.
Speed: Selling to WP Diamonds does not involve any online listings or auctions. Unlike Worthy, selling to WP Diamonds' service allows you to sell in as little as 24 hours.
The final difference is in the sales process. When you sell your jewelry through WPDiamonds, you are selling it directly to them. When you work with Worthy, you are selling your jewelry through them, not to them. Ultimately, bidders buying through Worthy’s auction platform will drive the sales price for your piece. There is however no guarantee of a sale, a fee deducted from Worthy's final offer and if your items do sell, their process ultimately takes more time than WP Diamonds.
WPDiamonds vs CashforGoldUSA
WPDiamonds and CashforGoldUSA are very similar in a number of ways. Both companies provide you with packaging to send your jewelry to them for evaluation. Both companies will conduct an in-house evaluation and make you an offer within 24 hours of receiving your item. Both companies will pay you within 24 hours of you accepting an offer.
The greatest point of difference between WPDiamonds and CashforGoldUSA is in their target market. CashforGoldUSA focuses their business more on scrap metal and small diamonds, making them better suited for selling lower end pieces of jewelry. WP Diamonds, on the other hand, specializes in high-end jewelry. While they will purchase diamond jewelry of any carat weight from luxury brands, the company will only purchase unbranded diamonds that are at least .5 carats. WP Diamonds also purchases luxury watches, handbags and designer jewelry.
Jewelry buyer: Circa (previously Mondiamo)
Mondiamo was a relative newcomer to the online diamond and jewelry buyer market which partnered with BlueNile, a retail leader in the online diamond engagement ring world.
In early 2020, Mondiamo merged with a competing company, Circa. Circa has maintained Mondiamo’s relationship with BlueNile and has an A+ rating with the BBB.
Circa pays cash for jewelry, and accepts high-end branded jewelry, as well as diamonds of at least .4 carats, and engagement rings. They will also purchase historical or estate jewelry including pieces such as: Antique, Edwardian, Georgian, Art Nouveau, Belle Epoque, Art Deco, Retro, Modern.
Circa has 14 physical locations (11 in the U.S. and 3 international), if you prefer you can schedule an appointment for an in-person evaluation of your jewelry. Whether in -person or online, if you accept the offer, you will be paid immediately
If you provide a grading report from the GIA, EGL, IGI, AGS, GSI, GCAL, IIDGR, or HRD, Circa provides a guaranteed offer range. Once you mail in your jewelry, Circa is able to guarantee a final offer that falls within this range. The company claims that more than 90% of its customers receive a final offer price higher than the midpoint of the guaranteed range (which includes shipping and insurance). Mondiamo’s 15% fee is already calculated into the range.
- Works in partnership with diamond retailer BlueNile, and promise to offer a high price to you by cutting out the middleman
- Better Business Bureau rating of A+.
- Website's videos and posts create transparency.
- Fully insured FedEx delivery — both from you to Circa, as well as returns, when relevant.
- This jewelry buyer only deal in jewelry with a diamond of at least .4 carats.
- If you do not have a lab report, you must send in your item for evaluation and grading before an offer is made.
- That offer is good for just 7 days, after which you have to start the whole process over again.
In short, Circa is a solid company that brings the BlueNile experience full circle, promising to offer jewelry sellers high prices by removing the middleman.
Circa vs Worthy
Selling your jewelry through Circa (previously Mondiamo) works in much the same way as selling your jewelry through other sites in that they will conduct an evaluation of your item and then make you an offer, which you can accept or decline. Worthy doesn’t purchase your jewelry directly, but instead acts as an auction platform for your sale. Though Worthy provides you with an estimate of what they believe your piece will sell for, how much you make will ultimately be decided by the bids that it receives in Worthy’s marketplace—which can be much higher than the initial estimate.
Circa vs CashforGoldUSA
Though Circa and CashforGoldUSA both purchase jewelry, Circa specializes in high-end designer jewelry while CashforGoldUSA focuses on scrap metal and smaller diamonds. While Circa only accepts jewelry with a diamond of at least .4 carats in size, CashforGoldUSA does not have a minimum carat requirement. This makes CashforGoldUSA a better option if you are selling lower-end pieces of jewelry, and want your money in 24 hours.
Where you could sell jewelry: Online auctions and consignment shops
Where you could sell jewelry: Scrap gold buyers
If your old jewelry isn’t worth much as is, you might sell it as scrap gold or recycle it. Typically, online and in-person gold buyers will take your broken jewelry, dental gold and other scrap — including online buyers like CashforGoldUSA.
How about selling jewelry near me? What is the best place to sell jewelry near me?
Selling jewelry to a jeweler near you can be a solid choice if you have a jeweler you know and trust. This can also ensure a quick, cash sale. Just google “jewelry buyers near me.” However, it may be worth the time to send in your jewelry to CashforGoldUSA or Worthy (for free) to get a second offer.
If you are lucky enough live in a large town or city, you may have a number of jewelers or pawn shops you can ask about the value of your jewelry or watch, and go with the highest price. Thankfully, there are some excellent, reputable online jewelry buyers where you can easily sell your jewelry, and feel confident you got a high price.
While selling to a local jeweler or pawnshop may give you quick cash, brick-and-mortar jewelry buyers typically will pay less than online buyers.
I highly recommend selling your jewelry online. This is safe and secure, and it is easy to get multiple quotes in this highly competitive market. If you don't like a quote, a reputable jewelry buyer is happy to overnight your jewelry back to you, free of charge.
Yes, it is safe to sell jewelry online when you select a reputable company that offers insurance.
The quickest way to sell your jewelry is to walk into a pawn or jewelry store and sell it for whatever they offer. However, those places can smell desperation from a mile away, so do no expect to get the most money.