Filing your own divorce papers online or in your local courthouse will save you thousands of dollars, untold stress, and drama.
Since the paperwork can be overwhelming, some opt to use online divorce services to get printable divorce papers, and sometimes have a mediator or attorney look over the papers to make sure they are accurate.
Before signing on with an online divorce service, ask:
- Do you operate in my state?
- Do you offer consultation with a divorce lawyer?
- Is that included in the initial fee — or extra?
- Is that consultation by phone or email?
- How quickly can I expect a response?
- Will you file my divorce papers for me?
Also, seek out independent reviews for online divorce services (keep reading!).
Best online divorce service: Divorce.com
Our No. 1 recommendation for online, DIY divorce papers is Divorce.com:
- $159 total
- Ready to file within 2 business days
- Edit papers free for 30 days
- Speak with an attorney for $75 initial fee
- Mediation available for $49 initial fee
- Endorsed by celebrity divorce attorney Laura Wasser (Kim Kardashian, Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears)
- A- Better Business Bureau rating (parent company CompleteCase)
More reviews of online divorce services
There are many other online divorce paper service providers. Most have horrible online reviews from both customers and accrediting sites like Better Business Bureau. The technology, ease of site use, fee and customer service all play a role in our selection of best online divorce services.
Here is what you need to know about some of the larger companies:
- CompleteCase is a very similar product to 3 Step Divorce in price and offerings, though 3 Step has a higher (A+) BBB rating than CompleteCase (A-) and equal TrustPilot ratings (4 out of 5 stars), though CompleteCase has far fewer online reviews and does not offer a payment plan.
- LegalZoom, which we think is best for those who already use this legal document repository for other forms, and are comfortable with the format (though the price for their divorce papers service is much higher than Divorce.com).
- Rocket Lawyer, which we think is best for those who need just a few divorce papers or related documents.
Reviews of 3StepDivorce.com
3 Step Divorce bills itself as the original online divorce service and their aim is to make divorce as simple, quick and inexpensive as possible for both parties.
Pros of 3StepDivorce.com
- The 3 Step Divorce program is self-paced, so couples can take as long as they need. Your information will be saved as you go, so you can work at your own pace, and revise as needed.
- You can pay for the service in installments without halting your progress.
- Download immediately your divorce papers PDF.
- 24/7 online and live phone support.
- Price includes 100% of all services and papers required, while other companies will charge extra for storage or additional documents.
- Very good reviews for customer experience. A+ BBB rating and 4.3 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Cons of 3StepDivorce.com
- The site is outdated.
- You’ll still have to file the paperwork yourself — which is true for most all online divorce programs.
- More expensive than other leading online divorce paper products.
CompleteCase: Online divorce service review
Bob Butterworth co-founded the online divorce service CompleteCase.com in 2000 and became CEO in February 2014. CompleteCase was acquired by Birmingham, Ala., based private equity firm Featheringill Capital.
CompleteCase has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2013, and has an A- rating with a composite score of 4.3 out of 5 stars as of 2021:
CompleteCase has a 3 out of 5-star review on Trustpilot, based on 241 reviews:
Complete Case has been covered by well-known news programs including Good Morning America and the Today Show, and it’s been featured in USAToday, Time magazine and the L.A. Times. The company promises complete anonymity and privacy through McAfee, a secure site verified by GoDaddy.com, and secure encryption of documents through Verisign.
- The process is simple and straightforward.
- Information for filing in your local courthouse straight-forward.
- CompleteCase, like many other DIY divorce services, does not offer legal advice. If you need legal help, you’ll need to seek representation elsewhere.
- You get one month to complete the process, or else you’ll have to extend the service and pay more.
- You must wait a few days before you can download your divorce papers PDF.
Read our CompleteCase review here.
Onlinedivorcer.com: Online divorce service review
OnlineDivorcer.com looks a lot like its competitors, and has a low $139 total flat fee, and 100% guarantee your papers will be accepted in court.
This Austin based company has a solid A- BBB rating, though is not accredited and has no reviews or complaints.
OnlineDivorcer.com has just one, 1-star review from 2020 on Trustpilot. There is very little information on the company or its parent, Boosters Lab, on the Internet. Hard to tell if the site or company are active?
Divorce Forms Filler: Online divorce service review
Divorcefiller.com is similar to its competitors, except it promises to fill out and file the forms for you, which you can then download in PDF form and file locally. The company has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Divorce Forms Filler, at Divorcefiller.com, works similarly to 3StepDivorce.com, promising to provide all your divorce documents for your state’s divorce process in one place.
Divorce Forms Filler costs $139, with a money-back guarantee.
Divorce Forms Filler pros
Advantages of Divorce Forms Filler is that it is inexpensive, with a money-back guarantee with 100% court-approval promised.
Divorce Forms Filler cons
Disadvantages of Divorce Forms Filler is that it has poor reviews, though they do seem to be making an effort and promote 2,670 5-star reviews on its site.
DivorceNet by Nolo
DivorceNet offers $159 online divorce forms with a court-approval guarantee (if they aren’t approved, you’ll get your money back). DivorceNet is one of more than 50 websites hosted by Nolo, which offers thousands of DIY products, including legal forms, online documents, books (print and digital), and software.
You can also purchase DivorceNet's premium divorce papers package for $229, which includes will services, name change documents, and unlimited live customer support. Additionally, Divorcenet’s mediation service offers a free 30-minute phone consultation to help you understand if their flat-rate, $3,995 divorce mediation program is a fit.
DivorceNet divorce forms are not available for every state, but you can enter your information on their website to see if you qualify. If you are approved, you can answer questions at your own pace to generate your divorce documents — though DivorceNet says the process should take less than an hour. After you've completed your documents, you'll get step-by-step filing instructions for your state.
Once you and your spouse sign the documents and a judge reviews and signs them, your divorce will be finalized. Some documents will need to be notarized.
DivorceNet also offers free, state-specific educational resources (even for the states that don’t qualify for divorce papers) on the divorce process, child custody, asset division and more.
DivorceNet's parent company Nolo has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2020 with an A+ rating and 1.3 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot. None of the reviews posted on either site are specifically about DivorceNet, however.
- If your documents aren’t approved by the court, DivorceNet has a money-back guarantee
- DivorceNet’s parent company Nolo has a great reputation (A+ BBB rating)
- Costs are lower than a lot of its competitors and much less than hiring a lawyer
- DivorceNet offers a comprehensive library of free educational materials about divorce, including videos, podcasts, and articles
- This is a DIY service, so you'll do all the work yourself and make any legal decisions on your own with the information provided
- People in all states are not eligible for DivorceNet (fill out the form on their main page to see if your state is eligible)
- DivorceNet isn’t a substitute for a lawyer but can help you get a head start if you have a simple, uncontested divorce
Divorce Writer: Online divorce service review
Another solid online divorce paper option is DivorceWriter. This is a service that cuts out the lawyer — not necessarily a bad thing if you want to want to save money and aren’t at odds with each other — to condense a non-contested divorce into a few easy questions, forms and a trip to the courthouse to make things official.
According to DivorceWriter.com, their service is ideal for couples who have already agreed on how to divide their property as well as how any children will be raised.
DivorceWriter.com says their stats show that 49% of petitioners and 90% of respondents represent themselves in divorce. DivorceWriter.com also claims that, since its inception in 2005, it has grown to become the largest divorce website in the United States.
It is also the only online divorce business with an A+ accreditation from the BBB as well as one of the lowest cost providers as of 2021.
DivorceWriter.com charges the same package price for divorce whether you have children or not —$137.
Once you sign up for the program and get started, you will receive all the forms and instructions you need to download divorce papers PDFs and file for divorce on your own — provided your divorce is amicable and you and your spouse have agreed on all terms.
The company not only has good ratings, but it has plenty of reviews. Users who have filed for divorce via the website’s tools have called it “less stressful,” “organized,” and “painless.”
Unfortunately, DivorceWriter.com isn’t available everywhere. While this service is available to settle uncontested divorces in most states and the District of Columbia, it is currently unavailable in Missouri.
Pros of DivorceWriter.com
- File for divorce online and from the comfort of your own home. You don’t have to visit a stuffy lawyer’s office or pay for professional help.
- It’s only $137. You will pay significantly less to file for divorce online — perhaps even thousands of dollars less.
- DivorceWriter.com has great reviews. They also have the industry’s only A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and 4.4 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Your printable divorce paperwork is tailored to be appropriate for the state you live in, meaning you’ll file the exact forms you need.
- You get a 100% money-back guarantee if the court will not accept your divorce paperwork for any reason.
Cons of DivorceWriter.com
- You won’t receive professional counsel or advice. If the terms of your uncontested divorce aren’t as good as they can be, you won’t have professional guidance to help you renegotiate.
- While DivorceWriter.com has a process that’s easy enough for anyone to complete, you’re still doing it on your own and getting a divorce without a lawyer.
- The fee you’ll pay for this company’s services doesn’t include court filing fees. Make sure to call your local court office to find out about other fees you may be responsible for.
GetDivorcePapers: Online divorce service review
GetDivorcePapers.com is another legitimate site that offers low-cost DIY divorce services online.
GetDivorcePapers recent complaints at BBB include poor customer service, unwarranted extra fees, and general lack of incompetence and communication. GetDivorcePapers made no effort to respond or rectify these complaints on the Better Business Bureau.
Further, GetDivorcePapers Trustpilot review score is an average rating of 2 stars out of 5 stars.
By using the website and its tools to file the appropriate paperwork to get your divorce finalized, you’ll get access to step-by-step instructions that make the process easy.
GetDivorcePapers provides a 100% money-back guarantee on your investment, meaning that you’ll get all your money back if your local court won’t accept your divorce forms for any reason.
GetDivorcePapers offers their full divorce package for a flat fee of $139. You can also sign up for an ongoing subscription for $34.99 per month to take your time to complete and download your divorce papers PDF.
Hello Divorce: Online divorce service review
Hello Divorce bills itself as a tech startup aimed at disrupting the divorce industry. Founded by family law litigator Erin Levine, Hello Divorce operates in California, Colorado, Texas and Utah (with more states coming), the company raised $2 million in capital July, 2021. The platform offers a hybrid between a simple 3 Step Divorce – type of divorce paper service, and an expensive divorce lawyer.
Hello Divorce has a tiered platform, with services ranging from $20 per month for 6 months' access to divorce paper filing forms, to a flat $4,500 fee for 5 hours with a certified mediator, finalization of form service and filing, and creation of a parenting plan and child support agreement.
Hello Divorce offers a free 15-minute strategy call. We recommend their quick divorce quiz to understand what kind of divorce is right for you — DIY, litigator, mediation, or somewhere in between.
Hello Divorce does not have a Better Business Bureau rating, and as of July, 2021, no reviews on TrustPilot, though the company does have 4.5/ stars based on eight reviews on Yelp.
It’s Over Easy: Online divorce service review
Founded by family attorney Laura Wasser, who is famous for working on Hollywood Divorces including Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Heidi Klum and Ryan Reynolds, It’s Over Easy bills itself as a one-stop shop of low-cost, and low-stress uncontested divorce filing, including:
- Negotiation tools
- Serve your spouse divorce papers
- Co-parenting tools
- Parenting schedule templates
- Child support calculator
- Email and phone customer service
- QDRO Tools for Retirement Accounts, online parenting classes and name change
The basic package costs $699, which include generating all the divorce papers for your county and state, and serving your spouse by email when possible.
You are still responsible for filing your own divorce papers in your local courthouse and paying local filing fees. By comparison, Divorce.com costs $159 for this same service, minus serving your spouse. However, most couples filing online or amicable divorces don’t need to serve one another because communication is amicable.
It’s Over Easy’s Premium package is $2,500, and is only available in New York and California. The Premium package includes spousal service by courier, payment of state filing fees, and courier delivery of your divorce forms to court. This package also provides you with forms for creating co-parenting plan and division of community assets and calculates child support based on your state’s schedule, which anyone can get for free online via a Google search.
LegalZoom: Online divorce service review
LegalZoom is known for its many legal resources, including estate and will planning, and now online divorce.
LegalZoom is a very legit, respected company for online legal advice and paperwork, including for divorce.
The LegalZoom divorce process works like this:
- Go to divorce.legalzoom.com and answer a few questions to make sure that your divorce is indeed no-fault, and therefore qualifies for LegalZoom. These include:
- Names and location of yourself and your spouse
- Date and location of your marriage
- Number of children and whether you are pregnant
- Properties and debts—and whether you plan to split either equally
- Confirm and pay $499 with a credit card or Paypal, creating a LegalZoom account.
- You will then be provided with the actual divorce filing documents in PDF you will need to file your divorce, along with filing instructions.
It is on you to do the actual filing in your state, which can cost an additional $200 to $400.
LegalZoom also has an additional, prepaid legal service if you still want to call an attorney:
- $71.94 / 6 months ($11.99/month)
- $119.98 / 12 months ($9.99/month)
Pros of LegalZoom
- Easy-to-use, quality service
- You don’t need your spouse involved in the process. As long as you are both in agreement on key issues, they just have to sign on the dotted line.
- LegalZoom has a great reputation. Better Business Bureau rating of A, and 4.3 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Cons of LegalZoom
- There are many other quality online divorce paper companies that do the same thing, for far lower fees.
- LegalZoom won’t actually file the documents for you.
- You’ll need to pay additional court fees, as set by your state and local court systems.
LetsGetDivorced.com: Online divorce service review
LetsGetDivorced.com was founded by Gerald Bruckner, an attorney of 20 years who says he wanted to create a simpler, easier, and more cost-effective way of filing for an uncontested divorce. The service is currently available only in New York, New Jersey, and Texas.
LetsGetDivorced.com works like this:
- Go to LetsGetdivorced.com and answer a few questions to determine whether or not your divorce is truly uncontested, and therefor qualifies for their services.
- If you qualify, you’ll be prompted to complete a more thorough questionnaire. Your answers to these questions will be used to populate your divorce forms.
- Once you have completed the questionnaire, you will be prompted to make your payment in order to download your forms.
- You can download and print the forms immediately upon completion. You will also receive instructions about filing the forms in your local courthouse and how to finalize your divorce.
All in all, the process takes an average of 30 minutes from start to finish.
LetsGetDivorced.com charges a flat fee of $99 for their services.
- LetsGetDivorced is very easy to use
- The process only takes 30 minutes from start to finish
- You can download your divorce papers immediately after completion, which comes with instructions for actually filing your papers
- LetsGetDivorced costs a flat fee of $99
- LetsGetDivorced comes with a guarantee that your forms will be accepted by the correct court
- Technical support is available by both email and telephone if you have any problems or questions while filling out the forms.
- LetsGetDivorced cannot (and does not) offer any form of legal advice. The website and service are specifically just designed to help you file your papers. If you have any questions about the divorce process, you’ll need to hire a divorce lawyer separately.
- LetsGetDivorced is currently only available in New York, New Jersey, and Texas.
- LetsGetDivorced can only be used for uncontested divorce
Despite claiming to be a “leading provider of personalized, online uncontested no-fault divorce forms,” LetsGetDivorced.com has virtually no presence on review websites such as Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
The site itself provides a short list of reviews that customers can read, all of which are 5-star, but these were clearly chosen by the site operators because they paint the business in good light. BirdEye, a less commonly used review site, has a number of negative reviews about LetsGetDivorced, including complaints of poor customer service and unreliable, incomplete, or incorrect forms.
My Divorce Papers: Online divorce service review
My Divorce Papers exist to help couples file for divorce quickly and easily. My Divorce Papers guarantees that couples seeking a divorce can get started in under an hour. Better Business Bureau rates MyDivorcePapers’ parent company, Divorce Place Inc., an F.
Unlike some other divorce sites, My Divorce Papers does not require you to file an amicable divorce. Once you’re done answering these questions, My Divorce Papers will plug your answers directly into a custom set of legally binding forms that adhere to your specific state’s laws and regulations for divorce. If you need help splitting up your assets fairly, My Divorce Papers offers a free consultation with a certified divorce lawyer in your area.
There’s no obligation to use their services after the free consultation. You’ll also receive a dedicated account manager to walk you through every step of your divorce process, a parenting plan for child custody agreements, and use of calculators to divvy up your assets according to law. Plus, you’ll get access to a library of online divorce resources.
Pros of MyDivorcePapers.com
- My Divorce Papers fills out your divorce documents for you.
- You get your own personal account manager to help answer specific questions.
- No need to file an uncontested divorce to use My Divorce Papers.
- Quick process – My Divorce Papers says many of their customers complete the necessary divorce papers PDF within an hour.
- You can also receive a 100% refund if, for some reason, your court does not accept them.
Cons of MyDivorcePapers.com
- The $159 price point excludes court filing fees.
- Factors like state-specific laws and regulations can slow down the process.
- The process lacks a face-to-face quality that some find appealing during such a stressful and difficult time.
- F rating with BBB, and 2.6 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Customers complain of poor, frustrating customer service.
One Stop Divorce: Online divorce service review
One Stop Divorce is a newcomer compared to many other popular online divorce sites, including some of those on this list.
Because of that, the company is not currently accredited with the BBB. In fact, the BBB doesn’t even have a profile for One Stop Divorce, which also means that there are no customer reviews available either. Likewise, customer reviews don’t exist on Trustpilot or Reddit, which is unusual for a modern company. The company’s Facebook page has just one review. Yet the website claims that the company has helped more than 500,000 customers file for divorce 🤔.
Like other sites in our list, using One Stop Divorce is relatively straightforward, and similarly priced to its competitors:
- Go to Onestopdivorce.com and create an account. This will allow you to check whether or not you are eligible to use an online divorce service.
- Answer a series of questions about your divorce. This will include information about where you were married, where you will be filing for divorce, the date you were married, and where you and your spouse currently reside. You will also be asked about key terms of your divorce, including whether you have any children, whether alimony will be requested during the divorce, and whether there is any property or debt to divide.
- Make a payment. If you are eligible for online divorce according to the system’s calculations, you’ll then need to make a flat payment of $299 in order to download your divorce papers.
One Stop Divorce claims that it aims to have finalized divorce papers to you electronically within 2 days after you’ve paid and filled out the forms. You can also request that the forms be printed and sent to you, for an additional fee.
One Stop Divorce pros
- The website is easy to navigate and use
- The form can be completed in less than 15 minutes as long as you have all of the information in front of you before you begin
- The flat rate of $299 is comparable to what many other online divorce sites charge
- The service comes with a 100% court-approval guarantee
- One Stop Divorce is available in all 50 states
- Possible to have your finalized divorce papers in as little as 2 days after completing the process
One Stop Divorce Cons
- The lack of reviews, positive or negative, is odd, especially considering the company’s claim to have served more than 500,000 customers
- One Stop Review is not affiliated with the BBB and does not even have a profile with the company
- A lack of payment options means that you can only use the service if you are able to pay $300 out of pocket all at once
OnlineDivorce.com: Online divorce service review
OnlineDivorce aims to be a quick, easy and inexpensive solution for couples who want to separate amicably without help from a lawyer. In addition to shooting for a lower price point, OnlineDivorce really prides itself on convenience — it’s simple, and there aren’t too many bells and whistles. This is a service that has been around for 20+ years, which gives it some seniority. The folks at OnlineDivorce.com claim to have helped more than 800,000 people get divorced.
OnlineDivorce sets you up with a guided Q&A process that you can complete at your own pace. The first steps to signing up are figuring out if you know where your spouse is located and whether or not you two can agreeably divide your property, debts and issues related to your kids. You can wrap things up as you have time, and you can access customer support by phone whenever you need some help. Like many of the options out there, OnlineDivorce.com will give you personalized instructions to download your divorce papers PDF, and file your divorce paperwork the right way in your state.
Also, there’s a 100% money-back guarantee if your paperwork is not done right or isn’t accepted by your local court. OnlineDivorce services start at $139. There’s just one flat fee to get access to documents that will work for both you and your spouse. Many DIY divorce services online can run you around $300, so this is certainly a budget-friendly alternative. OnlineDivorce has been featured in USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, Time magazine, Good Morning America and the Today show, but the most recent feature was back in 2003.
Pros of OnlineDivorce
- The OnlineDivorce process is competitively priced, so it’s a budget-conscious option.
- The process is self-paced — but all the documents you need are.
Cons of OnlineDivorce
- OnlineDivorce has negative reviews on almost every site – including a B rating from the BBB, and 3.6 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- The site is not user-friendly or up-to-date.
- The company is living in another century, boasting of their top-notch technology, which includes “immediate email.”
You can read our complete review of OnlineDivorce.com.
Wevorce: Online divorce service review
While most online divorce services focus on the divorce papers, and helping you file them, Wevorce is closer to a mediation service or collaborative divorce, giving you access to three hours of live consultation with trained divorce mediators each month, as well as more involved online technology to help you and your spouse work towards a resolution.
Plus, Wevorce completes the divorce papers for you.
Wevorce claims success in keeping 99% of its clients out of court.
Sound good? It is, but is many times more expensive than any other online divorce program. Wevorce costs $949 for the first month, and $199 per month after that. Divorce negotiations can last a few months, or more than a year in some cases.
Wevorce is a good hybrid of online service, plus live mediator support. While more expensive than other online divorce services, it is a good value. Wevorce fills out the divorce papers for you.
More expensive than its other online services, but cheaper than IRL options. You have to work together with your soon-to-be ex to complete the mediation process — which is not for everyone.
123DivorceMe: Online divorce service review
Launched in 2006, 123DivorceMe is a competitor to 3 Step Divorce and other sites that promise a single, low fee in exchange for all the legal documents you need to divorce in your state.
123DivorceMe costs $139, or two payments of $74 each.
123DivorceMe has been around a long time and its price is competitive. High TrustPilot reviews, though the company has little web presence and a dated website. Tough to tell whether user experience is strong.
Ready Divorce Service review
Ready Divorce Service is C- rated by the Better Business Bureau, is not accredited, and is the parent company of these online divorce providers:
All these sites are very basic, with low online ratings.
Bottom line: Go with the best online divorce service
While there are several quality online divorce paper services, Divorce.com stands out because it has a great price.
There are many online divorce services. Before you sign with an online divorce service, make sure the company has: a high Better Business Bureau rating, a money-back guarantee, fees, customer ratings, and you're clear about the support or instructions are provided for filing. We chose Divorce.com as the best because it meets all the criteria.
Typically, either you, or an online divorce service, will download and prepare the documents according to your state guidelines. But before that, there must be a discussion, typically several discussions, between you and your ex-husband or ex-wife to discuss and agree upon many points of the end of the marriage. These agreements are then summarized in a settlement agreement, and filed with the court.
Benefits of downloading your divorce papers online, and filing them online, include: less expensive than a traditional divorce with lawyers; faster; less drama and conflict.
Yes. Getting a traditional divorce with lawyers is time-consuming, stressful and expensive. Filing yourself, online, amiably, can save money, time, conflict, heartache, and drama.