How to get free housing or an apartment for single moms in 2022

Some links below are from our sponsors. Here's how we make money.

In this post, we share programs that provide housing help for single mothers, including rental assistance, home loans for single moms, and ways to get help when you’re facing a housing crisis.

Need money now? Join the 2 million workers who use Steady app to earn up to $27/hr., plus bonuses, with side jobs and gigs.

1. HUD housing for low-income single moms

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) works with landlords to offer affordable rent to low-income families, including single moms, the disabled and senior citizens.

Learn how to qualify for HUD housing, and search for a HUD apartment on the program’s website.

HUD also has various state-sponsored housing programs throughout the country. Learn about these state housing programs for low-income moms.

HUD public housing for low-income families is another option. Contact your state’s Public Housing Agency directly to learn more.

2. Housing Choice Voucher program, also known as Section 8 vouchers

HUD Section 8 vouchers are coupons given directly to low-income renters who use them to pay part of their rent to participating landlords. Apply for Section 8, and find participating property owners.

3. Emergency Solutions Grants

If you suddenly become homeless or are in a housing crisis, the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program provides resources to help you find emergency housing, prevent homelessness, or assist with rapid relocation to a safe place.

Federal ESG funds are distributed to grantees including state and local governments, nonprofit and for-profit organizations, public house authorities, and Tribal entities. 

Grantees assist people in their jurisdiction with current or back rent, security deposits, utility payments, and provide tenant advocacy for legal issues with landlords.

If you need fast help finding a home or staying in your current home, contact your local HUD field office to get in touch with your local ESG grantee.

4. CoAbode

CoAbode helps single mothers connect for the purpose of sharing a home. Participants pool resources to create a supportive, more affordable, and secure environment for raising children.

In many cases, mothers who use CoAbode are able to move to neighborhoods with more resources, better school systems, and new opportunities because they combine incomes.

To participate, register for free with CoAbode. Answering the personal profile questions helps you search for and be found by single moms like you. Sign up for a free account with CoAbode to start the process.

“I need help paying my rent today.”

Whether you lose a job, have an unexpected illness, or suffer a financial setback, there is housing help for single moms available. While some resources are immediate, others take time so it is important to apply as soon as possible.

In fact, in some states, submitting a rental assistance application is enough to ban an eviction. This could give you time to find more rental assistance programs or secure new living arrangements.

1. COVID-19 rental assistance

To provide rental help throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, state, local, and tribal programs are funded by the federal Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program. 

You can also check with your city, county, or municipality for ERA help by calling 211 in the United States.

Funds cover rent, utilities, and other home energy costs. You may also be able to get money for relocation expenses.

You may be eligible if:

  • At least one person in your home lost income, qualifies for unemployment, owes large expenses, or experienced financial hardships (priority goes to those unemployed for 90 day or more)
  • Your household income is below the area median income (AMI); percentages vary by area but applicants with 50% or less income than the AMI have top priority 
  • You or a household member is at risk of becoming homeless

Start now, as it can take at least three to five weeks to process your application. Find COVID-19 rental assistance in your area.

2. Veterans Affairs assistance with rent

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) offers assistance with rent through a joint program with HUD. The HUD-VA Supportive Housing program (HUD-VASH) provides rent assistance vouchers to homeless veterans living in privately-owned housing.

If you are a veteran in need of rent assistance from HUD-VASH or facing an eviction or loss of housing, contact the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans for immediate assistance. Phone lines are open 24/7.

3. Salvation Army rent assistance  

The Salvation Army uses its resources to offer short-term emergency funds for rent assistance. To date, the organization has provided over $112 million in rent and mortgage assistance in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Salvation Army operates neighborhood locations in all states, as well as in Puerto Rico. Each location has specific services. To find out if emergency financial assistance is offered in your area, use your zip code to find your local center.

4. Catholic Charities rental assistance

Catholic Charities USA addresses diverse needs of people all across the nation. If you are struggling with paying rent, consider moving to a Catholic Charities owned or operated property.

Catholic Charities rental assistance comes in the form of affordable housing options. They have over 35,000 affordable housing units and are working to add more.

To see what resources and properties are available in your area, search by your city, state or zip code.

Are there any programs to help single moms buy a house?

If you are dreaming of home ownership, there are single-parent home buying programs to help you find affordable properties and offer mortgage assistance.

There are federal, state, non-profit and private programs that not only help you with financial assistance, but also educate you on the home buying process from beginning to end. 

Check out the following resources:

How to buy a home as a single mom

Even if your income is low, you may qualify for special home buying programs for single moms, and those with limited income.

1. Is it time to buy? 

Timing is everything. Explore what loan options are available, monitor home prices, and make sure you have a financial plan in place to afford a home.

Use New York Times’s excellent tool to see if you should rent or buy a home: Rent or Buy Calculator

Should you keep the house in divorce? How to decide …

2. Look at all the mortgage options.

Don't just take the first mortgage that you are offered, or assume your current rate is the best you can do. Shop around for the best APR and repayment terms:

There are a variety of loans and resources available that support first-time home buyers, people with low incomes, and veterans.

You can also inquire about low income home loans for single mothers at your current bank or consider joining a credit union. Both may have programs or discounts for home financing or work with outside organizations to help you buy a home.

3. Work to earn more and save your down payment (if required). 

Earning more money is the best way to reach your financial goals.

This post offers strategies for negotiating a higher salary, while this one has more than 13 high-paying careers that you can start from home, including as high-paying jobs you can do without a degree.

For side gigs, join the 2 million workers who use Steady app to earn up to $27/hr., plus bonuses.

You may be considering selling your home or another property. What you need to know about selling a house for cash.

Other ways to find helpful and free resources for low-income families and individuals:

Help for single moms: 33 resources$500 monthly single mom grant
Free laptopsScholarships for single moms
Free carFree Christmas gifts
Free smartphoneBest jobs moms can do from home
Free wifi Free and low-cost prescriptions
Free formulaFree diapers
Free clothes
Are there any programs to help single moms buy a house?

There are federal, state, non-profit and private programs that not only help you with financial assistance, but also educate you on the home buying process from beginning to end. Check into getting an FHA loan.

Robyn Evans is an award-winning writer, inspirational author, and occasional songstress (especially in the shower). Born and raised in Baltimore, she focused on helping women make healthy choices for body, mind and soul. She’s a grateful bonus mom to a photographer son and activist daughter and works with young writers through a nonprofit organization. Robyn writes for corporate clients, is a former feature writer for The Carroll County Times, has written for The Baltimore Sun and is the author of three books. Learn more about Robyn here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *