If you are looking for a way to bring in some extra cash, selling gold jewelry, coins, or metal scraps that you no longer want could be an excellent way of doing just that. But when it comes to selling that gold, there are countless options — which can be overwhelming.
CashforGoldUSA is our No. 1 recommended best place to sell your gold, for a few reasons:
- CashforGoldUSA pays within 24 hours,
- Found by Fox Business News investigation to pay 3X their competitors
- BBB A+ rating
- Price match guarantee
- Free return guarantee
- 10% bonus if you ship within 7 days
Here are answers to the most common questions people ask about CashforGoldUSA, including a review of my personal experience with the company:
What is CashforGoldUSA?
CashforGoldUSA buys gold online from people looking to sell old gold jewelry, coins, dental and other scrap. They make money by buying the gold at a slight discount to the scrap value of the metal. They then melt these objects down and sell at a profit. The vast majority of the value of each sale goes to the seller.
What does CashforGoldUSA buy?
CashforGoldUSA buys gold in any shape, form, or quantity, including:
- Broken or whole gold jewelry, including gold rings, bracelets, earrings, chains, pins, clasps, necklaces, etc.
- Gold coins
- Gold ingots, nuggets, and solder
- Gold wire
- Gold dental scrap
The company accepts all karats of gold, including 8k, 9k, 10k, 14k, 15k, 18k, 22k, and 24k gold.
Is CashforGoldUSA legit?
While it’s understandable that you might feel nervous about selling your gold online, CashforGoldUSA is a completely legitimate business. In fact, they stand out from other online gold buyers in a number of ways:
- 100% free shipping: Fill out a form requesting an appraisal of your item, and they will send you a prepaid mailer through either FedEx or USPS (your choice), which you can then track, door-to-door.
- Insure all shipments: All shipments are automatically insured up to $5,000, with additional insurance available for items valued up to $100,000. If something happens to your gold during transit, you’ll be compensated for it.
- Pay fast: If you accept their offer, CashforGoldUSA will pay within 24 hours.
- Risk-free returns: If you don’t like the amount they offer, you’ll receive your items back at no cost, trackable through FedEx or USPS.
- 10% bonus if you ship within 7 days
Cash for Gold USA reviews
BBB rating and reviews
If you were to search for CashforGoldUSA on the Better Business Bureau website, CashforGoldUSA and its sister websites are run by CJ Environmental, Inc., a metal refining company that has been in business since 2005.
CJ Environmental has an A+ rating with the bureau. The profile also shows that the company has an average of 4.34 stars out of 5, based on an average of 44 customer reviews.
CashforGoldUSA customer reviews
Cash for Gold USA is a reputable online gold buyer that has a 98% approval rating from Shopper Approved. Below are a sampling of customer reviews:
My CashforGoldUSA review
CashforGoldUSA is the leading online site that is a place that buys gold and diamonds (as well as silver). You send in your gold by mail or FedEx.
CashforGoldUSA is one of the oldest and most reliable companies that will buy your gold and diamonds for the highest price. CashforGoldUSA has a parent company, C.J. Environmental, which has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. A Fox News investigation found that CashforGoldUSA.com paid out three times more (3x!) than the other top online gold buyers.
This is my experience with CashforGoldUSA:
- I went to CashforGoldUSA.com and estimated the value of my ring using their gold and diamond calculator.
- The price seemed fair, so I requested a FedEx mailer be sent right to my door — and was picked up at my door, 100% free. You can also choose a USPS mailer. The shipment was insured up to $100,000 by Lloyds of London.
- A few days later I received an email from CashforGoldUSA with an offer. I accepted.
- Within 24 hours I received the sum via PayPal. You can also choose a check or bank transfer.
CashforGoldUSA pays a 10% bonus above their estimate if you ship your item within 7 days.
The 12-carat gold ring with a couple of small diamonds fetched $159. That was more than 5 years ago when gold prices were lower, so I’d expect the offer to be higher today.
Here are some recent sales at CashforGoldUSA:
Get started with CashforGoldUSA.com today >>
Here is a Fox News investigation that found CashforGoldUSA pays out 3x its competitors:
How CashforGoldUSA works
Selling your gold to CashforGoldUSA is rather straightforward. All you need to do is:
- Visit CashforGoldUSA.com and fill out a form requesting a prepaid mailer be sent to you, free of charge.
- Place your items inside the mailer and send it back to CashforGoldUSA. You can have the mailer picked up at your door (opposed to taking it to the shipping center).
- Your items will be appraised within 24 hours of receipt to determine the value of the gold, and you’ll be sent an offer.
- If you accept the offer, you’ll be paid by either check, bank wire, or directly through PayPal. Depending on which option you choose, you may be paid in as little as 24 hours after accepting the offer.
- If you don’t accept the offer, your item will be returned to you free of charge.
Get a free estimate of your item before you send it in for appraisal. Just enter the weight and karat of gold into CashforGoldUSA's gold calculator. It is important to note that this is just an estimate, though, and not a final offer. The only way to get an accurate offer is to send your item in for appraisal.
More on how CashforGold works:
CashforGoldUSA always guarantees that if you are not 100% happy with the offer they make for your gold, then you can back out free of charge. They also guarantee that if you have a better offer from a competitor, they will match that offer.
How long does CashforGoldUSA take?
Once you request your free mailer, you should receive it within about a week. Shipping your item to the company will take another couple of days. Once your item is received, it will be appraised within 24 hours and you will receive an offer. If you receive this offer, CashforGoldUSA will pay you immediately according to your preferred payment method. Receiving payment by PayPal will be the fastest option, with money deposited in your account within 24 hours. Payment by check or bank transfer will take a few more days.
All told, you can go from requesting a mailer to receiving cash for your gold within 2 to 3 weeks, depending on how quickly you send in your item.
10% bonus if you ship within 7 days.
How much does Cash for Gold USA pay?
Ultimately, how much you receive for your gold will depend on the weight and purity of the gold, as well as the current market price of the metal.
That being said, CashforGoldUSA guarantees that they will match any offer you have received from a competitor. A Fox News investigation found that the company pays an average of three times what competitors offered.
What percentage does Cash for Gold USA take?
CashforGoldUSA was found by this Fox Business News investigation to pay three-times its competitors. On average, the company reports taking a 20% fee, which is on the low side of the industry. Local jewelers and pawn brokers typically take a higher fee.
In general, online gold buyers are more competitive and have lower overhead, so can pay a higher price to sellers.
Pros of CashforGoldUSA
The benefits of selling your gold to CashforGoldUSA include:
- Ease: Selling your gold is as easy as requesting a mailer, sending your gold in for an appraisal, and accepting an offer.
- Speed: If you accept their offer, you can be paid in as little as 24 hours depending on the payment method you choose.
- High pay: CashforGoldUSA has been found to pay up to three times the price offered by competitors according to a third-party investigation.
- 10% bonus: If you send in your item within seven days, you can receive a 10% bonus for your gold.
- Price match: CashforGoldUSA will match any offer from a competitor, so you know you’ll always get as much money for your gold as possible.
- Free shipping: CashforGoldUSA will provide a prepaid, insured shipper for you to send in your gold for appraisal, and return your item free of charge if you choose not to sell.
- Hassle-free returns: If you decide you don’t want to accept their offer, CashforGoldUSA will send you your item back without question.
- Accepts a range of items: From jewelry to coins to dental scrap and more, in any karat size. CashforGoldUSA will also accept platinum, silver, palladium, and diamonds and gemstones through its sister websites.
Cons of CashforGoldUSA
While we recommend CashforGoldUSA, there can be some drawbacks, including:
- It’s not ideal for collectible coins, or branded jewelry: If you have gold coins that have value as a collectible or high-end designer jewelry, such as Tiffany, Cartier, Bulgari, David Yurman, Van Cleef & Arpels, or Harry Winston, we recommend Worthy.com.
- Your offer is based on a single evaluation: CashforGoldUSA appraises each item as it is received and uses this one evaluation to calculate an offer. Take it or leave it.
Other places sell gold online
Selling your gold can be an excellent way of bringing in some cash that you can use to reach your financial goals, whatever they are, and CashforGoldUSA is an excellent option for doing just that.
Here is a list of local gold buyers, as well as pros of selling gold online.
- Selling your gold is as easy as requesting a mailer, sending your gold in for an appraisal, and accepting an offer.
- You can be paid in as little as 24 hours depending on the payment method you choose.
- CashforGoldUSA has been found to pay up to three times the price offered by competitors according to a third-party investigation.
- If you send in your item within seven days, you can receive a 10% bonus for your gold.
- CashforGoldUSA will match any offer from a competitor, so you know you’ll always get as much money for your gold as possible.
- It’s not ideal for collectible coins, or branded jewelry.
- Your offer is based on a single evaluation: CashforGoldUSA appraises each item as it is received and uses this one evaluation to calculate an offer.