If you have a used or inherited watch, you can likely sell it for cash — even if it is broken.
CashforGoldUSA buys all luxury watches, as well as gold and silver watch parts. The the family company has been in business since 2005, has an A+ BBB rating, insures your item up to $100,000 and pays within 24 hours. Get a quote for your watch now >>
If you'd rather not sell your watch, you can also use it as collateral to secure a personal loan. Read our Diamond Banc review and borrow up to $500,000 in 24 hours or less with Diamond Banc >>
Here is what you need to know about selling your timepiece for the best price, quickly.
How to sell a watch in 3 steps
Whether you choose to sell locally, or online, the basics of selling a luxury timepiece are similar:
- Understand the value of the watch you're selling.
- Research all the options you have for selling watches.
- Get quotes for online watch buyers before going “near me.”
How to sell a watch: Step 1
First, understand the value of your watch:
- Start with any documentation you have of the timepiece: receipts, box, certifications, appraisal, any documented history of past ownership
- A Google search of the make and model, year, as well as an estimation of its condition — see what others are selling similar watches for on sites like ebay, Chrono24.com and Worthy.com.
- Get a quote from an online watch buyer. CashforGoldUSA will give you a quote quickly through its website.
- Consider taking your watch to a local jeweler near you to get an appraisal
How to sell a watch: Step 2
Research your options for selling timepieces, chose the one you feel most comfortable with, that promises the highest price.
- Selling to a watch dealer near, you, pawn shop or consignment may feel safer if you know the business or can speak directly with the store
- Online watch buyers have the benefit of allowing you to research multiple buyers easily without leaving home, and read through dozens or hundreds of Better Business Bureau or Trustpilot reviews from all over the country. Plus, selling online is private and discrete.
CashforGoldUSA and myGemma have BBB ratings of A+, while Worthy has a B+ rating, and all insure your item, with the option to have your item shipped back to you free and insured should like.
How to sell a watch: Step 3
To sell a timepiece to an online watch buyer:
- Go to the watch buyer’s website and answer their questions to see if you qualify to sell through them. CashforGoldUSA accepts all luxury watches and gold and silver watch parts. Worthy and myGemma have stricter criteria.
- Request a Fedex or USPS mailer. Reputable sellers will send the mailer for free, as well as provide sufficient insurance, tacking number and a guarantee to return your item without charge, should you choose.
- Send in your watch.
- Get a quote. Negotiate if you think your watch is worth more.
- Get paid — most online watch buyers will pay via ACH, Paypal or even paper check in the mail.
Jewelry stores or watch buyers near you will require a visit to their showroom. They will inspect your timepiece, and if interested, make an offer, typically in cash. Be sure to negotiate a higher rate.
How to sell watches “near me”
Typical local places for selling watches include pawn and consignment stores, local jewelers, estate sales and auctions. To sell near you:
- Get an appraisal via a jeweler, watch dealer, antique/estate jewelry dealer or otherwise do your research online to understand your timepiece and what it is worth.
- Get a few quotes locally from reputable jewelers, appraisals, pawnshops or collectors.
- Sell your item, get paid on the spot, typically in cash.
How to sell a watch online
Increasingly, there are many more trustworthy options for selling your watch or luxury timepiece online, including directly to other buyers through sites like ebay, Chrono24.com as well as to reputable watch buyers like CashforGoldUSA, Worthy and myGemma.
By working with a reputable online watch buyer, you increase your chances of getting the highest price. Why? Because online platforms can work with minimal overhead (no expensive retail space to rent), can do large volumes with smaller margins, and are global, and have the ability to reach a global buyers’ market — which is exactly the market for luxury watches.
Sell a watch via CashforGoldUSA
Brands CashforGoldUSA accepts include:
|A. Lange & Sšhne
|Ansonia Clock Company
|Abraham Louis Breguet
|Baume et Mercier
|Ball Watch Company
|Bell & Ross
|Chung nam group
|Elgin National Watch Company
|E. Howard & Co.
|F. P. Journe
|Fortis Uhren AG
|Hamilton Watch Company
|Hindustan Machine Tools
|Illinois Watch Company
|International Watch Company
|Lancashire Watch Company
|Marathon Watch Company
|Minerva Watch Company
|PR & A Watch Sagl
|Waltham International SA
|Waltham Watch Company
|Webb C. Ball
Selling your gold to CashforGoldUSA is straightforward:
- Visit CashforGoldUSA.com and fill out a form requesting a prepaid mailer be sent to you, free of charge.
- Place your items inside the mailer and send it back to CashforGoldUSA. You can have the mailer picked up at your door (opposed to taking it to the shipping center).
- Your items will be appraised within 24 hours of receipt to determine the value of the gold, and you’ll be sent an offer.
- If you accept the offer, you’ll be paid by either check, bank wire, or directly through PayPal. You can be paid in as little as 24 hours after accepting the offer.
- If you don’t accept the offer, your item will be returned to you free of charge.
Get an idea of the value of your item before you send it in for appraisal. Just enter the weight and karat of gold into CashforGoldUSA's gold calculator:
It is important to note that this is just melt value, and not a final offer. The only way to get an accurate offer is to send your item in for appraisal.
Sell a watch via Worthy.com
Worthy.com is an online marketplace specializing in diamonds and branded jewelry and directly buys luxury watches. Worthy only accepts items that will re-sell for at least $1,000.
Watches Worthy.com accepts include:
|Bell & Ross
- Go to Worthy.com
- Get an online quote from a site like Worthy to understand if their estimate is in line with a price you feel comfortable with.
- If they and you are interested in proceeding, Worthy sends you a free FedEx mailer overnight.
- Send in your watch, 100% insured up to $100,000.
- Your timepiece is authenticated by Central Watch, a New York City watch repair, appraiser and buyer founded in 1952.
- Worthy will professionally clean and photograph your timepiece in high-definition. You set the minimum price you are willing to sell.
- Your auction goes live to hundreds of vetted buyers globally.
- Get paid within as little as 24 hours by Paypal, or by check mailed to your home.
Worthy has a B+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
When your watch or other jewelry sells, Worthy.com takes a fee of up to 22 percent of the sale price.
That’s something to keep in mind, but remember that anyone selling anything for you is going to take a cut — they just might not be transparent about it.
Keep in mind that the whole process withy Worthy will typically take about 2 weeks.
If you chose not to sell, or the minimum price is not met, Worthy will return your watch for free.
How much can I get for my watch on Worthy?
The amount your watch will bring depends on many factors.
You won’t be surprised by the final sale prices, since you will receive an estimate from Central Watch beforehand, and you yourself set the minimum you are willing to accept for a sale at Worthy.com.
That said, here are some things that can affect the value of your watch: Limited production numbers, brand and model, proof of Swiss craftsmanship, manufacturer-made movements, construction using precious metals, the quality of jewels and stones in the piece, the conditions of the clasp and band, and piece’s history and age.
Worthy points out that some of the watches it deals with have sold for more than $1 million.
For a quick reference, though, Worthy reports that on its site, a Rolex Submariner recently sold for $6,120, a Hublot Big Bang recently sold for $4,725 and a Breitling Motors recently went for $2,929.
Sell a watch to myGemma, formerly WP Diamonds
myGemma only buys luxury watches, including:
|A. Lange & Söhne
|Baume & Mercier
|Bell & Ross
- Go to myGemma.com
- Get an online quote
- If they and you are interested in proceeding, myGemma sends you a free FedEx mailer overnight.
- Send in your watch, 100% insured up to the full value of your item. More expensive items can easily be sent by MALCA armored delivery.
- Your timepiece is authenticated, and a formal offer will be sent by email, or in a phone call.
- If you accept, you can get paid within as little as 24 hours by Paypal, or by check mailed to your home.
myGemma also accepts in-person appointments in its locations in New York City and London.
myGemma also buys diamonds, branded jewelry, luxury handbags and sneakers, offering trade-in deals in addition to direct payment.
How much will myGemma give me for my watch?
While myGemma does not publish its commission, most jewelry and watch buyers take at least a 20% commission off the top of the market value of what they will pay you.
Is myGemma a trustworthy company?
myGemma, formerly WP Diamonds, has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating, 4.8/5 stars on Trustpilot based on more than 2,300 reviews, and physical offices in New York or London.
How will I get paid by myGemma?
myGemma will wire you the money or send a check out the same day. If you choose a wire, the money will go straight into your bank account and be available in as little as 24 hours.
If you sell your watch at one of their locations, myGemma will pay in cash, check or wire transfer. Sellers with an offer under $400 will receive a check only.
What you should know about selling your luxury watch
Similar to jewelry, watches of high quality can be valuable for decades and centuries after purchase. While there are some exceptions, the price you paid will likely be more than the price you get in resale.
- Antique watches are at least 100 years old.
- Vintage watches are at least 20 years old.
- A watch less than 20 years is likely to be classified as simply “old.”
To determine the age of a watch, as well as an antique watch’s value, and how to determine the value of a vintage watch or pocket watch, you must open the timepiece and find a serial number on the movements. If your watch does not have a serial number, a highly trained watch expert may be able to determine the make, model and year of your piece.
In fact, before you sell your timepiece, it is important to get an appraisal from a reputable jeweler who can offer you a certified appraisal, or authentication. Worthy has all the watches it manages sent to Central Watch for authentication.
What affects the value of your watch?
Here are some of the factors that can help determine the price you will receive for your watch:
- Brand and model (see below for a list of luxury brands buyers are most interested in)
- Limited production numbers
- Swiss Made
- Manufacturer-made movements (not replacements or repairs)
- Construction using precious metals including gold and platinum
- High-quality jewels and stones
- Age and history of the watch
- Quality of the clasp and band
What if you don’t know the brand of your watch? How can you check the quality and value of your luxury timepiece, whether your watch is gold, chrome or has a leather band?
If you have determined that yours is not a name-brand watch that is valuable as its own, you might investigate how much it costs to repair. For most vintage watches, the cost can be $200 to $500 — or more. This is likely more expensive than you would get to even sell the gold pieces in the watch — especially since today the price of gold per ounce has been near record highs.
Inherited a watch? Learn more about selling estate jewelry.
Which luxury watch holds its value best?
According to Watch Time magazine, Rolex and Patek Philippe watches hold their value the best.
How to find the value of a luxury watch (i.e. How much is my watch worth?)
If you have a vintage or antique watch — or simply a used luxury timepiece you no longer want — gather all the information you have on it, and start with one of the online marketplaces like Chrono24.com or even eBay, to understand a ballpark price you may receive.
You can take your old watch to a local jeweler or watch repairer, who can give you an appraisal, which is a written statement of the estimated replacement value of your watch. Replacement value is not the same as the resale value, which will be much lower. An appraisal is useful to understand more about your timepiece, and for insurance purposes.
From there, if you understand that your watch is worth in the thousands of dollars, consider taking it to one of the big auction houses like Sothebys or Christie’s, which all have qualified watch experts on staff.
Also, you can send your watch to Worthy.com which will send your watch to be authenticated by CentralWatch, a trusted and well-known watch repair and service provider.
Recently sold Cartier Tank
Recently sold Patek Philippe
Recently sold Omega
Recently sold Hublot
Recently sold Chopard
Recently sold Bulgari
FAQs about how to sell my watch
Know that if you have a gold, or gold-tone watch that is not a known brand name, you may be able to sell for the value of the metal — which is great news since gold prices have been at record highs in recent years. Learn more about selling gold, and top online gold buyers.
Have more questions about how to sell a watch? We have answers:
Can you sell your ex’s watch?
What if he moved out and left his watch in the dresser drawer or safety deposit box. Is it yours to sell?
The division of assets in a divorce is tricky territory best left to an attorney’s advice, but some general guidelines:
- If he or she abandoned the home and did not make claims to any property, it may be yours to keep.
- If the watch was a gift (from you or someone else), as well as an item he inherited, it would likely be deemed his alone.
- If the watch is of significant value and something you purchased together as a couple, it would likely be considered a marital asset, the value of which would be divided equally (you can of course sell it, and divide any cash proceeded).
- If you made a good-faith effort to return the watch to her, but she did not accept it, it could be considered yours.
Again, ask a lawyer.
How do I find out how much my watch is worth?
To sell your watch, start by getting an appraisal.
How can I sell my expensive watch?
If you have a luxury watch that is worth a very high amount of money more than $100,000, call one of the major auction houses. However, Worthy and myGemma are connected to the watch-buyer and collector community and can help you find the highest price for your timepiece.
Can I sell old watches for cash?
Pawn shops, consignment stores, many jewelry stores and even high-end jewelry and watch buyers are accustomed to paying cash for old watches. CashforGoldUSA is recommended for old, broken watches.
Bottom line: Is there a market for used watches?
Yes! There is a robust market for used watches and timepieces. You have learned how to sell a watch online, so we recommend you start with CashforGoldUSA now >>
The division of assets in a divorce is tricky territory best left to an attorney’s advice.
To sell your watch, start by getting an appraisal.
If you have a luxury watch that is worth a very high amount of money, say, more than $100,000, call one of the major auction houses. However, online watch buyers are deeply connected to the watch-buyer and collector community and can help you find the highest price for your timepiece, no matter the price.
Pawn shops, consignment stores, many jewelry stores and even high-end jewelry and watch buyers are accustomed to paying cash for old watches.