Thanks to the ease of use or the increased potential for finding a match (be it for romance, partnership, a hookup, marriage, or anything in between), online dating has become a mainstream choice for those of any age, walk of life, and lifestyle. According to The Knot, online dating is the #1 most common way engaged couples met today.
With the swipe of a finger or a few keystrokes, you can have a pool (or a puddle) of suitors waiting to woo you. For the dater who is an educated professional seeking a serious relationship, EliteSingles is a solid choice.
EliteSingles stands out because it features:
- A deep personality survey to make highly compatible matches
- Verified profiles
- 82% of the members have a college education
- 90% of members aged 30+
What is EliteSingles?
Striving to match you with educated professionals, EliteSingles dating website works similar to other dating sites using personality-based algorithms. Because of that, EliteSingles digs deep. Starting with questions regarding how you feel about yourself and ending with questions about those more emotionally trying situations couples may face together, Elite Singles doesn’t leave any stone unturned.
One question asks you to rate your level of attractiveness, while others gauge your feelings on raising children. The site functions more like a digital matchmaker than any impersonal dating app could, asking pointed questions to direct you to your perfect match. Using your responses and comparing them to those from millions of singles around the world, it appears Elite Singles’ methodology could increase your chances of finding love and having fun while you’re looking.
Not sure what makes EliteSingles different than other matchmaking websites? Consider having to face those questions you might be embarrassed to answer honestly if your friend were to ask. For instance, if you care how much money the person you’re dating makes or if you don't like children, this site takes away the shame you may feel when expressing your thoughts on these matters. The site not only wants to know, but they will use the information you provide to find your matches. Sites like eHarmony or Zoosk don’t even give you the option of being honest in this way.
How does EliteSingle work?
EliteSingles works similar to eHarmony. Upon entering the site, you’ll face standard questions including, “Are you looking for men or women?” and “When were you born?” After filling out such generic information, the questions gradually become more probing, the kind of questions that could easily make you uncomfortable and might prompt you to lie, like the kind of race you prefer to date. This is the dating and personality questionnaire component of the signup process about which the site boasts.
Depending on how honest you are with yourself, you might be shocked at what you learn not only about your personal preferences, but also your values and how you would possibly react when faced with a moral dilemma. Questions such as, “How important is attractiveness to you?” and “Would you stay with a partner through a life-altering change?” are relevant and highlight a potential match’s character — not to mention challenge you to examine your own beliefs. Because of the depth of the questions, I’d suggest carving out up to an hour of your time to complete Elite Singles profile — they designed their site so that once you start the process, you can’t stop until you answer more than 200 of their questions.
Once you’ve completed the questionnaire, Elite Singles pairs you with members based on a compatibility score of 1 to 100. The higher the score, the higher the likelihood of compatibility, according to the Elite Single’s algorithm. While you’re more than welcome to browse the website — if you pay for a subscription — the real magic comes in the form of a daily email containing between one and five matches for that day. No fuss, no hassle, you pretty much never have to think about it again. Elite Singles brings nearby matches right to your inbox.
Does EliteSingles have an app?
While the website boasts an easy-to-use app to find a mate on the go, I could not find it in Apple’s App Store. I was, however, able to locate it in the Google Play Store for Android.
Is EliteSingles free?
You can access EliteSingles for free. In the free version, you can go through the personality profile and match with others. However, with the free version, you won’t be able to see anyone’s profile photo or send anyone a message — which is perfect for taking a baby step toward dating or getting a taste of online dating. However, for actually connecting and seeing your potential matches, you need to upgrade to a paid version.
How much does EliteSingles cost?
For a premium membership, there are currently three options. Premium Light costs $24.95 per month for three months. You’ll receive access to the messaging system and what EliteSingles calls “intelligent matchmaking,” otherwise known as the way they utilize the questionnaire that you filled out when you first signed up.
Premium Classic runs for six months at a rate of $14.95 per month. With the Premium Classic membership, you’ll receive both unlimited communication and intelligent matchmaking, as well as the ability to view all member photos, see everyone who visits your profile, and turn on read receipts for your messages.
The last membership option is Premium Comfort, running for a full year at $12.95 per month. This option has all the same benefits as the previous for a smaller price tag, because of the longer commitment.
What kind of people are on Elite Singles?
EliteSingles boasts an impressive 165,000 new members per month. According to their website, 82 percent of members hold a bachelor’s degree, and supposedly every eight minutes someone on EliteSingles finds their soulmate.
Billing itself as a source for professionals who are serious about finding a meaningful romantic match, the thinking is that singles willing to spend significant time and money on creating a profile will be more likely to be serious about dating and career.
If you’re looking for something casual or have a swipe-and-go mentality, joining Elite Singles is not for you.
The site is geared toward educated professionals and requires a minimum of three months for any of the paid memberships.
Most of Elite Singles’ members are 33 to 50 years old, making it less appealing to the swipe-happy millennials that Tinder and Bumble target.
Pros of EliteSingles for online dating
- Accuracy: EliteSingles' personality test makes it harder to lie. They ask you the same question in more than one way to see how you react and engage, testing who you are as a person and how you think. This method should prove helpful when curating honest, thoughtful matches.
- Advice for new singles: If you’re one of the many who is new to online dating, or could use some dating advice, EliteSingles’ blog has hundreds of articles on topics like how to build trust in a relationship.
- Website safety: According to the Elite Singles website, Elite Singles checks every user profile for authenticity. The site states:
“In order to avoid this on EliteSingles, we manually check each individual profile to guarantee that everyone on our site is serious about the search for love. We use SSL Encryption, Fraud Detection, and Manual Profile Verification to ensure our members feel completely comfortable when using our service.”
Cons of EliteSingles for online dating
- Completing the personality test can be time-consuming: While filling out the questionnaire on EliteSingles, I timed myself. It took me a full 45 minutes to put thought behind my choices and answer each question honestly. Anyone who’s short on time may not want to invest almost an hour into a website before ever seeing a single match.
- Matches come to you: Unlike other dating sites, EliteSingles doesn’t allow you to decide with whom you’re interested in connecting. Instead, EliteSingles delivers only five to seven matches to your inbox per day. If you don’t like any of them, you have to wait until the next day for more matches. If you’re accustomed to accessing thousands of profiles options at any given time, this can be frustrating. Swipe happy people beware. This method of receiving curated options can, however, force members to consider each suggestion with more thought than they usually would. Think of it like paying for a high-end matchmaker. She will send you a small list of very carefully selected matches to consider.
- App lacking: I found the desktop version of the website adequate in its usability and appearance. That said, we’re all on our phones more than ever. While the site boasts an easy-to-use app to find a mate on the go, I could not find it in Apple’s App Store. I was, however, able to locate it in the Google Play Store for Android. The app has a low score of 2.5 out of 5 stars. Users complain that it’s not exactly friendly to those looking to cancel as locating the settings for your account can be quite tricky.
EliteSingles vs. eHarmony
While both eHarmony and Elite Singles offer extensive personality questionnaires to gauge your compatibility with potential matches, there are subtle differences between the two. While Elite Singles’ introductory quiz is much more extensive, eHarmony’s questions are psychology-based. I’m unsure which is more effective.
More relevant a difference, EliteSingles can only be found in the Google Play Store, while eHarmony’s mobile app appears in both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. That fact alone makes eHarmony much more tech-friendly.
The subscription options are also different.
EliteSingles prices range from $12.95 per month to $24.95 per month.
eHarmony is more expensive with prices ranging from $19.95 to $39.95 per month.
Niche dating on EliteSingles
Elite Singles appears to be LGBT friendly, and will potentially match LGBT singles based on their personality test.
Tried Christian Mingle but didn’t love it? Don’t be discouraged as EliteSingles devotes a portion of their website to Christian Dating — 67 percent of members identify as Christian.
Those looking for a connection over the age of 50 will not feel left out on EliteSingles, as the average age holding at 45+.
EliteSingles recognizes dating by race, with its Black dating and Asian dating content. Still, in the vein of their gay and lesbian dating subsites, the information the site offers to those interested in dating members of a specific race doesn’t stray too far from their main site, so I don’t feel comfortable recommending it for this purpose by itself.
All in all, though, EliteSingles provides users with enough options and variation to warrant a try.
Stacey Freeman has been published in The Washington Post, Entrepreneur, Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan, Woman’s Day, Town & Country, Yahoo!, HuffPost, Popsugar and Worthy. She has been quoted in The New York Times, HuffPost, and SheKnows, to name a few. She is also a single mom of three amazing kids. For more information about Stacey, visit www.writeontrackllc.com.