scroll top

Help for single moms in Vermont

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Vermont struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

We also put together resources specifically for:

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Vermont

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Cash Assistance in Vermont

Reach Up — Vermont’s name for their Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program — provides cash assistance for qualifying families with children or to relatives who have court-ordered custody of a child placed in their home. 

The amount paid out varies depending on household income. A Benefits Program Specialist (BPS) will determine the amount of your benefit. Generally, an eligible family of three can receive up to $1,384 a month in cash assistance. However, exact amounts depend on location and specific family circumstances. See full income guidelines.

For those who only need help for up to four months, Vermont also offers the Reach First program. Reach First is aimed at helping families get through short-term financial issues by providing cash assistance.

Cash assistance is available for a lifetime total of 60 months for adults. Children being taken care of by a relative may qualify for longer coverage. 


  • U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen
  • Permanent Vermont resident
  • Pregnant and/or have children under 18  
  • Children and mother must have social security number
  • Gross income must be less than 80% of AMI
  • Children under age 5 must be up to date with immunizations
  • Children ages 6 to 18 must attend school, and parents/caretakers must attend school conferences

How to get help:

Vermont Reach Up Programs

Vermont has several programs to help parents gain access to better opportunities:

  • Reach Up: Monthly cash help for basic necessities and support to help you define and reach goals for education, career, housing, finances, and more
  • Reach Ahead Pilot: Helps former Reach Up or Post-Secondary Education (PSE) recipients transition to the workforce and offers help to pay for child care, food, and fix any barriers to work (such as providing car repairs or work clothes)
  • Reach First: Short-term financial help and support (four months or less)
  • Vermont MOMS: Virtual stress management classes for moms that offer gift cards for class attendance


  • Each program has its own eligibility requirements, call the number below for more details

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Vermont: 

Single moms in Vermont can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Vermont

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Vermont

There are multiple programs in Vermont to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Emergency Housing

Those who have lost their housing due to a catastrophic situation may be eligible for emergency housing in a hotel for 28 to 84 days. Length of stay is determined by your situation. 

Catastrophic events include: 

  • Natural disasters, such as fire or flood
  • Fleeing domestic violence 
  • Constructive or court-ordered eviction that is not your fault 


One of the following must be true:

  • Age 65 or older
  • Pregnant in third trimester 
  • Child/children age 6 or younger 
  • Qualify with at least 4 points
    • Disabled veteran (1 point)
    • Active Family Services case (1 point)
    • SSI or SSDI applicant (1 point)
    • Child/children between the ages of 7-17 (2 points)
    • Discharged from a 48-hour inpatient hospital stay within the last 30 days (2 points)
    • Over 18 years old and discharged from DCF custody within the last 3 years (1 point)
    • Reach Up recipient
    • Individual on probation or parole with Dept of Corrections (1 point)

How to get help: 

Transitional Housing

The Department for Children and Families provides up to 18 months in a hotel for qualifying Vermont residents who experienced financial hardship or job loss because of COVID-19. 


  • Vermont resident 
  • Gross income under 80% of AMI 
  • Have not received any other federal funds to pay for expenses 

How to get help: 

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent.


Vouchers and housing are based on household income and family size. You can find your county’s income limits on the HUD website

How to get help: 

Mortgage assistance in Vermont 

If you need help buying a home in Vermont, these programs can help: 

Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program

The Vermont Housing Finance Agency’s Homeowner Assistance Program provides grants of up to $30,000 per household toward: 

  • Overdue mortgage payments
  • Utility bills
  • Property taxes
  • Property association charges


  • Applying for expenses related to your primary residence, located in Vermont
  • Experienced financial hardship due to the coronavirus pandemic:
    • Job loss
    • Reduction in income
    • Increased costs due to illness or the need to care for a family member 
  • Have an income equal to or less than 150% of AMI                                   

How to get help: 

VHFA Mortgage Programs 

The Vermont Housing Finance Agency offers a variety of mortgage programs for homebuyers in the state. The programs are offered through local VHFA Participating Lenders:


This mortgage program has VHFA’s lowest interest rate and a 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage loan. Other benefits include: 

  • Down payments 0% to 5% (determined by lender)
  • Down payment and closing cost assistance available
  • Up to $825 savings on Vermont Property Transfer Tax at closing


This mortgage program offers a 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage loan. Other benefits include

  • Down payment 0% to 5% (determined by lender)
  • Down payment and closing cost assistance available
  • Up to $825 savings on Vermont Property Transfer Tax at closing
  • Annual Federal tax credit up to $2,000 with the MCC


This mortgage program offers a 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage loan. Other benefits include

  • Down payment 0% to 5% (determined by lender)
  • Down payment and closing cost assistance available
  • Up to $825 savings on Vermont Property Transfer Tax at closing


  • Minimum credit score of 640 (higher minimum scores may be required by some lenders)
  • No homeownership within prior 36 months if purchasing in: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Grand Isle, or Windsor County 

How to get help: 

Vermont Housing down payment assistance

The Vermont Housing Finance Agency also helps with down payment and closing costs in the form of a second mortgage loan. 

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

ASSIST Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance includes: 

  • 0% interest loan with no monthly payments
    • The loan is repaid when the property is sold 
  • Maximum loan amount $10,000 or $15,000 based on income (lender will determine)


These loans are not available as standalone assistance but in conjunction with VHFA’s programs listed above: Move, Move CC or Advantage. 

  • Borrowers and non-borrowing spouses must be true first-time homebuyers

How to get help: 

Vermont First Generation Homebuyer Program 

First-time homebuyers in Vermont may be eligible for a $15,000 grant for down payment and closing costs. Eligible borrowers can also combine this grant with VHFA ASSIST to receive up to $30,000 in assistance. Funding for the grant is available on a first-come, first-served basis while funds last.


  • All borrowers and non-borrowing spouses must be true-first time homebuyers and at least one borrower must have: 
  • Parents or legal guardians who do not currently own a home
  • Been placed in foster care at any time in their life
  • Minimum credit score of 640 (higher minimum scores may be required by some lenders) 
  • No ownership within prior 36 months, if purchasing in: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Grand Isle, or Windsor County 

How to get help: 

Homeless assistance in Vermont 

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you may be able to get help from the following program: 

Agency of Human Services 

The main goal of the Agency of Human Services is to prevent Vermont residents from becoming homeless — or from having to return to homelessness. AHS and community partners help provide housing stability and reduce homelessness though: 

  • Emergency shelters
  • Transitional housing
  • Permanent housing
  • Counseling to acquire the necessary life skills to maintain permanent housing


Requirements are set by individual agencies and programs. 

How to get help: 

More housing help: 

Transportation help for low-income families in Vermont

Single moms in Vermont can take advantage of multiple resources offering free or affordable transportation.

Free and low-cost transportation

The following programs offer free or low-cost rides to eligible families in Vermont.

Guaranteed Ride Home

If you carpool to work and your ride falls through or you need to leave early, the Guaranteed Ride Home program can help. Use any public transportation you need to get home, and the program will reimburse your travel fees up to $70. Claims usually take up to six weeks to process.


  • Carpool to or from work
  • Have an unexpected change of plans affecting your carpool 

How to get help:

Commuter Co-Op

Commuter Co-Op allows you to organize a carpool for work or school transportation using a vehicle provided by the state of Vermont. You can keep the vehicle at home or a shared space for all carpool participants to share. Each participant pays a share of the monthly fee, which is usually about $100 split among each rider.


  • Have a commuter group organized

How to get help:

Free Wheelin’

Free Wheelin’ is a free transportation program for rural travelers in the Waitsfield, Fayston,

Moretown, and Warren areas. Contact the company to get a free ride to shopping areas, medical appointments, and social services. Rides are available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Rides are available to anyone who needs transportation and calls ahead to reserve a ride.

How to get help:

  • Call 802-249-3427

Vermont Medicaid transportation

Vermont offers non-emergency medical transportation to households who have Medicaid. These free rides can bring you back and forth to medical appointments, whether they’re for yourself or your children. Some of Vermont’s public transit systems, including Tri-Valley Transit and Rural Community Transit, provide a service known as Dial-A-Ride, which includes transportation for Medicaid recipients.

Rides should be scheduled ahead of time, and your medical provider or caseworker can help you with scheduling.


  • Medicaid recipient
  • In need of reliable transportation

How to get help:

  • Call 802-728-3773
  • Contact your Medicaid caseworker

Vermont public transit

Vermont has eight public transit systems. Those offering free or affordable rides are listed below.

Advance Transit

  • Covers: Upper Valley area
  • Offers: Free rides for all with Monday through Friday service

Green Mountain Transit

  • Covers: Burlington, Essex, South Burlington, Shelburne, Williston, Winooski, Milton, Hinesburg, and some areas of Colchester
  • Offers: Free rides on the 116 Commuter, free rides for children under 6, fares as low as $1 for children 6-17 

Marble Valley Regional Transit District

  • Covers: Rutland and surrounding areas
  • Offers: Free rides for children 6 and under, fares as low as $0.50 for adults


  • Covers: Windham and Southern Windsor counties
  • Offers: Free rides for all riders

Rural Community Transit (RTA)

  • Covers: Northeast Kingdom and Lamoille County
  • Offers: A few free shuttle routes operating throughout the day in areas like Lyndonville, Newport, and East Burke, Dial-A-Ride for Medicaid recipients 

The Green Mountain Express

  • Covers: Bennington County area
  • Offers: Free rides for Medicaid recipients

Tri-Valley Transit

  • Covers: Addison, Orange, and Northern Windsor counties
  • Offers: Free fares for all riders, Dial-A-Ride for Medicaid recipients 

Vermont transportation providers

The Vermont Public Transportation Association has an interactive map allowing you to see what public transportation provider services your area. Visit the map and click on the city or town you live in to find your public transportation provider.

Vehicle donation and car repair help in Vermont

The following organizations can help you get a free vehicle in Vermont:

Good News Garage

Good News Garage is a charity with programs for Vermont families in need of reliable transportation.

The Wheels to Work program gifts vehicles to families participating in Vermont’s Reach Up program, which helps families become more financially independent. A Reach Up caseworker must identify an individual as having a need for a vehicle donation and send their request to Good News Garage.

The Ready to Go program offers free minivans to families in need so that they can work, go to school, or bring their children to school or daycare. Recipients typically come from referrals through the Vermont Department for Children and Families, Economic Services Division.

How to get help:

  • Contact your caseworker
  • Call 2-1-1

Free Charity Cars 

Free Charity Cars awards free vehicles to selected applicants in all 50 states. The nonprofit charity group has been awarding free vehicles to low-income American families since 1996 and has gifted more than 9,000 cars. The charity group notes that they do not have an inventory of vehicles readily available as they award cars as soon as they get them, so there can be extensive waiting periods for those selected for the free car program. 


  • Be a resident of the U.S.
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Have a valid driver’s license
  • Be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
  • Have a genuine need for a vehicle 
  • Have access to a Computer and Internet Service
  • Sign up for an online account 
  • Complete an online application for a vehicle
  • Have the financial means to pay for the fees, including the tag, title, emissions, insurance, etc.
  • Take financial responsibility for maintaining insurance and upkeep on the vehicle if awarded 

How to get help:

If you're ready to buy a car, but you have low or no credit, Auto Loan Express is a quality lender:

  • Better Business Bureau rating of A+
  • In business since 1999
  • For new or used cars
  • Auto loans and refi for buyers who have low or no credit, or who have gone through bankruptcy or had a vehicle repossessed
  • Pre-approval within 30 seconds

24 hours to a car loan with Auto Loan Express >>

Utility bill assistance in Vermont

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Vermont, check out the following programs:

Vermont Gas Customers

The Department for Families and Children offers a 20% discount off monthly natural gas bills for qualifying families.


  • Residential Vermont Gas customers only
  • Have gross monthly household income at or below 185% of FPL

How to get help:

  • Call 800-775-0516
  • Fill out and print this application
    • Mail your application and supporting documents to: ADPC – Economic Services Division, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-1500

Green Mountain Power Customers 

The Department for Families and Children offers a 25% discount off monthly electric bills for qualifying families. You may be forgiven a past-due bill if you are new to the program. 


  • Residential Green Mountain Power customers only
  • Have gross monthly household income at or below 185% of FPL

How to get help:

  • Call 800-775-0516
  • Fill out and print this application
    • Mail your application and supporting documents to: ADPC – Economic Services Division, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-1500

Water Assistance Program

This program helps Vermont residents with: 

  • Past-due water bills 
  • Back charges and fees associated with late payments 
  • A one-time future payment based on certain factors:
    • Household income
    • Water/wastewater expense as percentage of total income
    • Number of household members
    • Whether the household includes a child under 6, adult over 60, or person with a disability


Priority will be given to those households whose water/wastewater has been disconnected or is at risk of being disconnected.

How to get help:

  • Call 800-339-6433
  • Fill out and print this application
    • Mail your application and supporting documents to: ADPC – Economic Services Division, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-1500

Fuel Assistance Program

This program helps pay a portion of your home heating bills — whether you own your home or rent, pay for heat directly or as part of rent. Get a list of fuel dealers


Must have gross monthly household income at or below 185% of FPL.

How to get help:

Vermont Crisis Fuel Assistance

If you are running out of heating fuel and cannot afford to buy more, reach out to Vermont Crisis Fuel Assistance for help. Eligible families can get financial help to purchase fuel or pay for electricity if your heating system uses it. You can also get support with payment plan negotiations payment plans and working with your energy provider to avoid gas or electric shutoff.

Applications are accepted starting November 27, 2023.


  • Household income at or below 200% of the FPL
  • Going through a heating crisis

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

WAP helps low-income families lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Types of assistance include:

  • Installing carbon monoxide detectors
  • Removing mold
  • Replacing inefficient or unsafe heating units 
  • Insulating a single family home for energy efficiency

On average, the program in Vermont makes about $10,000 worth of improvements per home, adds about 1,500 square feet of insulation and reduces drafts by 40%. 


  • U.S citizen or a qualified alien
  • Resident of state of Vermont
  • Household income meets the income limits.
  • An active Fuel Assistance household
  • Someone in your household gets Supplemental Security Income
  • An adult in your household received either Reach Up, Reach First, or Post-Secondary Education in the past 12 months

How to get help:

Applications are not available online, so you have to visit your county’s Weatherization provider.

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Vermont

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families:        

Children’s Integrated Service 

Children’s Integrated Service (CIS) provides early intervention, family support, and prevention services that help ensure the healthy development and well-being of children, from before birth up to age 5.

Support services include: 

  • Health and well-being throughout pregnancy and postpartum
  • Growth progress — including speech, language, movement, vision, and hearing — from birth to age 3
  • Positive social and emotional development for children up to age 5 
  • Help finding quality child care


Parents with children under the age of 5 can contact your local CIS Coordinator to see if your family is eligible. 

How to get help: 

Contact your local CIS Coordinator

Vermont Health Connect 

Vermont Health Connect, the state’s health insurance marketplace, offers medical, prescription and dental coverage. Dental benefits are included for both adults and children with Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur coverage. Learn more about the Vermont Health Connect plans below, or use this plan comparison tool. 

Vermont Medicaid 

Medicaid provides medical coverage for low-income individuals and families. In Vermont, the program’s benefits include:

  • Managed Medical Assistance (MMA) – Covers medical services like doctor visits, hospital care, prescription drugs, mental health care, and transportation for medical needs
  • Long-term Care (LTC) – Covers care in a nursing facility, assisted living, or at home (must be at least 18 years old and require nursing home-level care or hospital-level care if you have cystic fibrosis)
  • Dental – Covers all dental services for children and adults

Here is a list of covered services and copays. 


  • Resident of Vermont
  • U.S. national citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien
  • Household income below 133% of FPL

Plus, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Pregnant, or
  • Caretaker for a child 18 or younger
  • Member of the household has a disability, including blindness
  • 65 or older

How to get help: 

Dr. Dynasaur 

Dr. Dynasaur — Vermont’s version of the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — is for children who don’t qualify for Medicaid based on household income. Dr. Dynasaur provides low-cost or free health coverage for children, teenagers under age 19, and pregnant women. 

The program covers numerous services, including: 

  • Outpatient hospital care you get without being admitted to a hospital
  • Emergency services 
  • Hospitalization 
  • Pregnancy, maternity and newborn care 
  • Mental health and substance abuse services 
  • Prescription drugs 
  • Preventative and wellness services 
  • Dental and vision 

Some services may have limitations, see the list here. 


  • Child under age 19 with household income below 312% FPL, OR
  • Pregnant with income below 208% FPL

How to get help: 

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Vermont

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Vermont by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Vermont

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Farm to Family 

Farm to Family helps Vermont families buy locally grown fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. Those eligible may get $30 in coupons that can be used at participating farmers markets and farm stands.


You may be eligible one of two ways: 

  • Enrolled in the Department of Health’s WIC Program 
  • Household income is at or below the household income limits —— $3,551 for a family of three

How to get help:

Apply at special Farm to Family sessions in your area by calling your local health office


3SquaresVT offers money every month to eligible Vermont families to buy food at stores and farmers markets. The money is deposited on the Vermont EBT Card if you are under 65. If over 65 or receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), funds are deposited into your bank account.


  • Gross household income is 185% or less of the FPL or you have children and receive the VT Earned Income tax credit

If your household income exceeds 185% of the FPL but you have a person living with you that is over 60 or has a disability, you should still apply. Your application may be approved based on your household’s level of need.

How to get help:

Vermont Food Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 


  • Vermont resident
  • Gross household income is less than 185% of FPL
  • Have children and get the VT Earned Income Tax Credit 
  • Live with a person or persons age 60 and over
  • Live with a person with a disability (child, spouse, parent, yourself)

How to get help: 

Apply for benefits at your local district office.  

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children is a nutrition program that provides free baby formula and nutritional food items to low-income mothers and their babies. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. 

An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. Schools with at least 80% of the students eligible for free or reduced-price meals must provide breakfast at no cost to all students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

Contact the Vermont Agency of Education to apply.

Vermont’s Summer Food Service Program

The Vermont Agency of Education serves nutritious meals at no cost to children during summer break. Food is distributed at local schools, nonprofits, l parks and libraries. 


These are the current income guidelines for the Summer Food Service Program: 

How to get help: 

Find a location near you at the USDA Summer Food Service Program website.

Vermont food banks

Food banks in Vermont provide meals for individuals and families who are struggling to put food on the table. 


Each food bank sets its own eligibility and proof of need requirements. 

How to get help: 

To find a food bank near you and for additional information, visit the Feeding Vermont website.

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Vermont

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Vermont:

Child Care Financial Assistance Program 

The Child Care Financial Program offers subsidies to help families pay for child care. The amount paid and for how many hours varies. 


How to apply: 

Contact your local Community Child Care Support Agency. 

Vermont Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Contact your local Head Start or Early Head Start to apply. 

Universal Prekindergarten 

This program provides access to publicly funded prekindergarten education for Vermont students. 


A child is considered eligible for 10 hours of prekindergarten if the child is age 3, 4, or 5 by the date established by the district of residence.

How to get help: 

More child care help:

Education help for single moms in Vermont

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Vermont

If you are at least 18 years old in Vermont, you can take the GED test. You may also be able to take the test at 16 or 17 with written consent from a parent or guardian.

The GED test is broken into four exams on different subjects, which can be spaced out and taken at your own pace (though each individual exam has a time limit): 

  • Mathematical reasoning – 115 minutes
  • Reasoning through language arts – 150 minutes
  • Social studies – 70 minutes
  • Science – 90 minutes

You have two options for taking the test in Vermont: 

  • Online at-home test – $36 per subject
  • In person at a test center – $30 per subject

Vermont Post-Secondary Education (PSE)

The PSE program can give you monthly cash payments, mentorship, and help with child care, school supplies, and transportation to pursue an undergraduate college degree.


  • Vermont resident with college acceptance
  • Parent of minor dependent children who live with you
  • Household income under 150% of the FPL
  • Working no more than 20 hours per week

You’ll also need to be able to pay for tuition. If you cannot afford tuition costs, contact the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation.

How to get help:

  • Call 800-479-6151

Vermont Job Link is a free service to help you find a job or educational programs to start a new career. Once you create a free account online, you can access:

  • Available jobs in your area
  • Opportunities for on-the-job training
  • Career counselors
  • Resume building wizard


  • Available to all residents of Vermont

How to get help:

Vermont Works for Women

Vermont Works for Women offers free personal career support to help you choose a career, prepare for the job you want through activities like resume building, interviewing skills, and networking. If you are already working, this program can help you set career goals, advocate for yourself, and embrace professional development.

There are multiple educational opportunities for women and children such as community events, technology programs, and afterschool care. 


  • Available to women in Vermont (must be at least 16)

How to get help:

Grants and scholarships in Vermont

The Vermont Student Assistance Corp. helps people save, plan, and pay for education or career training. Here is a list of grants for Vermont residents. 

How to get help: 

Individual schools also offer need-based and academic scholarships for their students. If you’ve been accepted to a higher education institution, contact their office of financial aid to learn how to apply. 

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Vermont

Workforce programs in Vermont provide training and assist with employment:

Vermont Individual Career Advancement Network (ICAN)

You can get free support to find employment and learn new job skills through ICAN. From ICAN you can also receive assistance with:

  • Getting a job certification
  • Resume writing and interviewing skills
  • Job searches and hiring opportunities
  • Funds for child care, clothes, school supplies, and transportation
  • Meeting a monthly 3SquaresVT work requirement (if applicable)


  • Recipient of 3SquaresVT

How to get help:

Vermont Unemployment Insurance

This program provides unemployment compensation to eligible Vermont workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Vermont resident 
  • Unemployed
  • Previously employed for the past 12 months
  • Earned a certain amount of wages
  • Actively looking for another job

How to get help: 

  • Call 877-214-3330

American Job Centers

The American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Vermont

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Vermont that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Vermont

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your local chapter. 

Catholic Charities of Vermont

Catholic Charities assists with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Vermont

The United Way of Vermont connects people in need with local resources like: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Help for single moms in Burlington, Vermont

Single moms in Burlington, Vermont, can get housing, medical, food, and other types of assistance from these programs, resources, and charities:

Housing help in Burlington

These programs are specific to Burlington or Chittenden County residents to help with rent and homeownership:

Family Self-Sufficiency Program

The Family Self-Sufficiency Program helps families who are enrolled in the Section 8 program and is a client of the Burlington Housing Authority. Eligible households can get financial assistance from the program sent to an escrow account if their rent increases due to an income increase. 

At the end of the program, the recipient can receive all funds stored in the escrow account to use for whatever they need it for, like paying off debt or using it toward a home’s down payment.


  • Participate in Section 8 program
  • Burlington Housing Authority client

How to get help:

The City of Burlington Homeownership Assistance

You can receive down payment assistance for a duplex you buy in Burlington, Vermont, if you meet the program’s criteria. Awards are usually $10,000 in the form of a no-interest, deferred loan. Although it’s not required to be a first-time homebuyer, the program gives preference to people buying their first homes.

Owners can’t increase the rent for the duplex within one year of closing on the loan and may not increase the rent by more than 3% each year for the next four years.


How to get help:

Homeownership Option for Section 8 Recipients

The Burlington Housing Authority (BHA) gives recipients of Section 8 housing vouchers the opportunity to buy a home with a subsidy they can use toward their mortgage rather than rent. The amount of the subsidy depends on the household income.


  • Eligible for Section 8
  • Buy a home within the BHA’s jurisdiction
  • Employed full-time for at least a year
  • Not own a home within the last three years

How to get help:

  • Call 802-864-0538

Electric bill assistance in Burlington

The following programs can help you pay for your electric bill in Burlington, Vt.:

Warmth Support Program

The Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity created the Warmth Support Program to help residents in Chittenden County and surrounding areas pay for their fuel or heating bills. The program can help you pay your utility bill or purchase bulk fuel for you if you experience a financial emergency affecting your ability to keep heat in your home.


  • Running out of bulk fuel within 5-7 days
  • Financial emergency putting you in danger of having your utilities disconnected

How to get help:

  • Call 802-863-6248

Burlington Electric Department’s Energy Assistance Program

Burlington Electric Department gives eligible customers a 12.5% credit on their electric bill to make their bills more affordable.


  • Income at or below 185% of FPL
  • Burlington Electric Department customer

How to get help:

Medical and dental care help in Burlington

Do you need affordable medical or dental care in Burlington? Check out these resources that can help single moms and their children. 

Free Access Health Clinic

Free Access Health Clinic is located in Burlington, Vermont and provides the following services to eligible adult patients for free:

  • Primary care
  • Immunizations
  • Cardiology
  • Lab services
  • Radiology
  • Mental health
  • Infectious disease services
  • Pharmacology
  • Oncology
  • Neurology

The clinic is open Saturdays from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm by appointment only.


  • Vermont resident
  • Adult 18+
  • Uninsured or underinsured
  • Income at or below 400% of FPL

How to get help:

Health Assistance Program (HAP) at University of Vermont Medical Center

HAP provides prescriptions to needy families for free and medically necessary procedures for low costs. Participants can also get help with some medical equipment and glasses.

Those who qualify for financial assistance for medically necessary procedures will be placed on a budget payment plan. Those with incomes below 200% of the FPL may receive services for free.


  • Live in Vermont
  • Apply for Medicaid to determine eligibility
  • Income below 400% of FPL
  • Assets below $50,000

How to get help:

Community Health Centers Burlington

The Burlington Community Health Centers branch provides affordable medical and dental services to needy families, including telehealth, prescriptions, mental health, primary care, lab services, and pediatrics. The center offers a sliding fee scale to patients with incomes at or below 200% of the FPL.


  • Income at or below 200% of the FPL

How to get help:

Food assistance in Burlington

These programs can provide you and your family with food in Burlington, Vt.:

Burlington Little Free Pantry Network

Burlington has several Little Free Pantry locations that offer free food and toiletries to anyone who needs them.

How to get help:

Sara Holbrook Community Center (SHCC) Food Pantry

SHCC hosts a food and essentials pantry during its office hours, Monday through Friday, from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Residents can stop in to pick up produce, shelf-stable items, refrigerated items, and essentials, like bathing and grooming supplies. All Burlington families are welcome.

How to get help:

Feeding Chittenden

Feeding Chittenden provides a food pantry, grocery deliveries, a packaged meal program, a culinary training program, and a mobile food truck to help those in need of food throughout Chittenden County. Most programs are available to any residents in need, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

How to get help:

Child care help in Burlington

Get assistance with child care in Burlington with this program:

Early Learning Initiative Burlington

Burlington’s Early Learning Initiative manages a program called First Steps Scholarship, which gives financial assistance to families using a child care center or at-home daycare for their child or children. The scholarship amount ranges from $2,000-$6,000 and is made available to about 20 families each year.


  • Burlington resident
  • Child not already enrolled in a high-quality daycare
  • Child at least 8 weeks and under 3 years old
  • Income at or below 80% of area median income

How to get help:

Education help in Burlington

These education-focused programs offer financial assistance to help you begin or complete a degree in Burlington:

truED Tuition Discount at Champlain College

Employees of the City of Burlington can take advantage of the TruED Tuition Discount at Champlain College. This program provides 17% off undergraduate tuition and 50% off graduate tuition for employees, their spouses or partners, or their dependents.


  • City of Burlington employee

How to get help:

Champlain College Single Parents Program

Located in Burlington, Vermont, Champlain College’s Single Parents Program aids students who are single parents by providing the resources they need to continue their education and reach their goals. Assistance may include free educational workshops, social activities, and financial assistance for emergencies.


  • Champlain College student
  • Single parent

How to get help:

  • Call 800-359-0728

Transportation help in Burlington

This transit company offers affordable and free transportation in Burlington:

Green Mountain Transit (GMT)

Green Mountain Transit operates a free-fare bus in Chittenden County known as the 116 Commuter. Children under 6 also ride any form of GMT’s transportation for free, and children 6-17 ride for just $1. 

How to get help:

  • Call 802-864-2282

Charity organizations in Burlington

Burlington, Vermont is home to these charity organizations that can help single moms:


Lund works with low-income families in the Burlington area to support them in their parenting and financial needs. Services for needy families include job training, child development education, and connections to community resources, like financial assistance and stable housing.


  • Low-income household
  • Parent

How to get help:

  • Call 802-864-7467

Joint Urban Ministry Project (JUMP)

JUMP is a Burlington organization providing emergency help to needy families. Those in need can get financial assistance, food, essentials, and gift cards to local thrift stores to buy clothing and other items they need for their families. JUMP also offers financial assistance for families falling behind on their utility bills.


  • Have not received JUMP assistance within the last three months
  • Valid ID

How to get help:

Help for single moms in Essex, Vermont

If you’re a single mom living in Essex, Vermont, browse the following resources and assistance programs. Note that, because of the proximity between Essex and Burlington, Vermont, many of the resources covering Burlington residents may also be available to those in Essex, and vice versa, like medical clinics and food pantries.

Medical and dental care help in Essex

Contact the following health center for low-cost medical care in Essex, Vermont:

Community Health Centers Essex

The Essex branch of Community Health Centers allows eligible patients to pay for their medical services on a sliding fee scale. This branch provides basic medical, mental health, and psychiatry services Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 


  • Income at or below 200% of the FPL

How to get help:

  • Call 802-404-1350

Food help in Essex

These food assistance programs can help you and your family find nutritious food for free in Essex:

Aunt Dot’s Place

Aunt Dot’s Place is a community food pantry for Essex and its surrounding areas. Families in need can visit Aunt Dot’s Place for food, pet supplies, and personal care items.

How to get help:

First Congregational Church of Essex Junction’s Heavenly Food Pantry

The First Congregational Church of Essex Junction operates the Heavenly Food Pantry the second Monday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and the third Thursday of each month from 3 pm to 6 pm. Families in need can visit each time the food pantry is open to get pantry items and personal care items for free.

Heavenly Food Pantry can make deliveries in some cases for people who are unable to drive.


  • Essex area resident
  • Proof of address

How to get help:

  • Call 802-878-5745 


Essex CHIPS has a free food pantry with 24/7 access for families in need. The pantry houses clothing, school supplies, and personal care items in addition to shelf-stable food and is open to people in Essex and surrounding areas.

How to get help:

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *