scroll top

Help for single moms in Utah: 35 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Utah struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Utah

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Family Employment Program in Utah

The Family Employment Program includes Utah’s cash assistance program for families with children. Single parents can get financial help and tools to help them train for a job or get better employment. They work closely with employment counselors throughout the program.

A qualifying single mom with two children can get up to $662 in cash assistance each month for up to 36 months.


  • U.S. citizen
  • Utah resident
  • Meet income guidelines — no more than $1,050/month for a family of three
  • Participate in work requirements

How to get help:

Apply online with MyCase.

More emergency cash help in Utah: 

Single moms in Utah can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Utah

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Utah Community Action Rent and Deposit Assistance

Utah Community Action offers cash assistance for people who can’t afford to pay their rent or who need affordable housing. The program can pay for rent or a deposit on a rental. Applicants may qualify for multiple months of assistance depending on the situation and funding available.


  • Utah resident
  • Have a lease or are able to sign one
  • Financial crisis     

How to get help: 

Apply online with Utah Community Action.

Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) in Utah

Section 8 in Utah gives families vouchers to pay rent for designated homes and apartments. Eligible families have incomes of 50% or less than the AMI.


How to get help: 

Mortgage assistance in Utah

If you need help buying a home in Utah, these programs can help: 

Utah Homeowners Assistance

Utah Homeowners Assistance gives money to families in need who own a home and are having trouble paying their mortgages. Homeowners can receive up to $50,000 in aid and do not need to repay the money.


  • Owns primary residence in Utah
  • Financial hardship related to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Behind on mortgage payments
  • Income at or below 150% AMI or 100% of the U.S. median income (whichever is greater) 

How to get help: 

Utah Homeownership Programs

Utah offers the following programs for single moms who need an affordable mortgage loan to buy a home:

  • FirstHome: This mortgage loan is for first-time homebuyers with credit scores of at least 660 buying a home within purchasing limits.
  • HomeAgain: Single moms who don’t qualify for FirstHome may qualify for this program without purchasing limits. It also requires a 660 minimum credit score.
  • Down Payment Assistance: Homebuyers using one of these loan programs can also apply for down payment assistance to get up to the minimum down payment amount for their home purchase.


  • Buy a home in Utah within purchase limits
  • Meet income guidelines
  • Meet all requirements from participating lender

How to get help: 

Contact a participating lender.

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless assistance in Utah

Shelter the Homeless provides shelter, affordable housing, and resources for people who are homeless in Utah. 

How to get help: 

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Utah

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Utah, check out the following programs:

Home Energy Assistance Target Program (HEAT) in Utah

HEAT gives families money toward their water and energy bills. The program includes both regular assistance and crisis assistance for families in an emergency financial hardship. Single moms with a child age 6 or under can apply early each year starting October 1, while other households can begin applying on November 1. 

HEAT participants who are customers of Rocky Mountain Power can also qualify for an extra discount on their bill through the Home Electric Lifeline Program (HELP). Dominion Energy also gives a one-time bill credit to HEAT participants.


  • At least one U.S. or qualified citizen
  • At least one adult in the home
  • Responsible for paying the home’s energy costs
  • Income at or below 150% of federal poverty level

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) in Utah

WAP gives eligible families an average savings of about $583 annually toward energy-efficient upgrades for their homes. Some of the upgrades include: 

  • Insulation installation
  • HVAC system repair
  • Duct sealing
  • Pressure testing


Families must have an income at or below 200% of FPL.

How to get help:

Contact your nearest WAP agency

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Utah

Single moms in Utah can get help paying for their dental and medical bills with these programs.

Salt Lake Donated Dental Services

This program offers free and discounted dental services to needy families in Utah every weekday. People with income at or below 100% of the FPL can receive free dental care. People can get discounted services if their income is at or below 200% of the FPL.

How to get help: 

University of Utah Dental Services

The University of Utah’s participating offices offer up to 30% off the price of dental services when you get them through a resident or up to 50% off when using a student dentist. The school provides a full range of services, including oral health screenings, denture fittings, and surgeries. 

How to get help: 

Contact a participating dental clinic.

Utah Medicaid for Families

Medicaid provides affordable health coverage to families in Utah. The program also offers transitional assistance with up to 12 extra months of coverage if your income increases and exceeds the income limits.

Pregnant women can also qualify for a separate Medicaid program if their income is at or below 139% of the FPL.


  • U.S. or qualified citizen
  • Utah resident
  • Dependent child in the household
  • Meet income limits

How to get help: 

Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) in Utah

CHIP in Utah is a Medicaid program for children of families that do not qualify for traditional Medicaid because of their income. The program pays for: 

  • Well visits
  • Prescriptions
  • Emergency room visits
  • Most other health care needs

The program has different income limits based on the child’s age. Children with household incomes higher than the limits may still qualify for the Child Medically Needy program, but the family may have spend-down requirements.


  • U.S. or qualified citizen
  • Utah resident
  • Qualifying dependent child in the household
  • Meet income limits

How to get help: 

Maliheh Free Clinic

The Maliheh Free Clinic in Salt Lake City provides free medical services to people in need, including pediatric care, dental services, and diagnostics. 


  • Uninsured
  • Income at or below 200% of FPL

How to get help: 

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Utah

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Utah Food Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card in retail food stores to purchase food, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

Click here for a list of what you can and cannot buy. A family of three in Utah can get up to $740 in SNAP benefits each month.


  • Utah resident
  • U.S. citizen 
  • Register for work requirements
  • Gross monthly income at or below 130% of FPL
  • $2,500 or less in resources

How to get help: 

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) in Utah

WIC helps moms feed themselves and their children nutritious food. The program gives electronic benefits for moms to pay for eligible food and infant formula. Moms can also get help with breastfeeding, nutrition support, and developmental resources for their children. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

School Nutrition Programs in Utah

Utah helps schools across the state provide healthy and nourishing meals to children through several programs. Utah participates in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program, which provide free or reduced-price meals to eligible children. 

Utah students in after-school programs can also get snacks or small meals through the Afterschool Snack Program. Utah schools can also participate in the Special Milk Program and Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program to help students access these necessary foods. 


  • Attend a participating school
  • Income at or below 185% of FPL for most programs

How to get help: 

  • Contact your child’s school for more information
  • Call the director of Child Nutrition Programs at 801-538-7755
  • Text FOOD to 877-877

Summer Food Service Program in Utah

SFSP gives eligible school children meals during their school’s summer break.


Children must be 18 or younger. Participating sites can determine their own requirements for meals.

How to get help: 

  • Contact your child’s school for more information
  • Call the director of Child Nutrition Programs at 801-538-7755
  • Text FOOD to 877-877
  • Email [email protected]
  • Find a participating summer food site

Utah Food Bank

Utah Food Bank helps people across the state of Utah feed their families, whether they need temporary assistance or are experiencing a food emergency. The organization also sponsors mobile food pantries and programs that help children access food.

How to get help: 

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Utah

Single moms can get help from these Utah programs for child care while they go to work or school.

Child Care Assistance in Utah

Utah’s child care subsidy helps families pay for child care. Single moms can get assistance if they work or go to a training program intended to help with employment. 

Families can also receive the subsidy if they need to put their child in a child care program while they actively search for work. Some households will have a co-payment each month, depending on their income. 


  • U.S. citizen
  • Utah resident
  • Child under 13
  • Up to 85% of state median income
  • Actively looking for or participating in work or training

How to apply: 

Apply online with MyCase.

Utah Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Find a Head Start program in your area. 

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Utah

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education in Utah, here are some helpful resources: 

Live Your Dream Scholarship in Utah

Live Your Dream is a Utah-based charity that provides scholarships for single moms who wish to pursue a college degree, bootcamp, or technical school. Scholarships are awarded in the spring and fall for:

  • Tuition (up to $3,000)
  • Class fees (up to $1,000)
  • Books (up to $500)

The application deadline for the 2024 winter/spring semester scholarship is Nov. 1, 2023.


  • Utah resident who is a single mom, widowed, divorced, or separated (divorce is almost final)
  • Custodial parent or guardian with physical custody of at least one dependant child (18 and under or over 18 and still in high school)
  • You are the only adult in your home unless you live with relatives
  • You have a high school diploma or GED
  • You are enrolled in a degree program at a college or university, attending technical school, bootcamp, or any other educational program to increase your earning potential
  • You have completed or are completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and can demonstrate financial need 

How to get help:

Career and Education Assistance in Utah

For single moms pursuing a college degree, Utah may pay for testing fees, tuition, books, tutoring, and other related services. 

How to get help:

Adult Education in Utah

Utah residents who want a high school diploma equivalent can take the GED test. The test has four sections covering: 

  • Language arts
  • Math
  • Science
  • Social studies

Each section costs $30, but the Department of Workforce Services can help test-takers pay for the full exam. 

Anyone 18 or older can take the GED test in Utah, and 16 and 17-year-olds can take the exam with permission from their school district.

How to apply: 

Grants and scholarships in Utah

Utah offers several scholarship and grant programs to people attending a college or university in the state, including:

  • Opportunity Scholarship: Eligible students can receive up to $1,000 per semester for four semesters
  • Utah Promise Scholarship: This scholarship goes to students at Utah’s public colleges and universities and some private institutions, paying up to the total cost of tuition for two years
  • Technical College Scholarship: Utah technical college scholarship students can get up to the full cost of their tuition paid
  • Higher Education Success Stipend Program: This grant is for students with financial need who are attending a Utah school

Visit the Utah System of Higher Education for information about each scholarship and grant program and how to apply.

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Utah

Workforce programs in Utah provide training and assist with employment:

Utah Unemployment Benefits

Utah single moms who have lost a job or had their hours reduced can apply for unemployment benefits. Utah pays unemployment benefits each week you’re without a job or suitable employment. 


  • Utah resident
  • Unemployed, laid off, or had a reduction of hours
  • Earned at least $4,800 in the base period
  • Available for full-time work

How to get help: 

Utah Department of Workforce Services

Anyone in Utah who wants to find a job or train for a better job can use the resources offered by the Utah Department of Workforce Services. The website has free help to find a job, redo a resume, find an apprenticeship program, or learn new skills. 

How to get help:

Visit the Utah Department of Workforce Services website

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Utah

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Utah that offer support to single moms:

Utah Girls Love You

Utah Girls Love You helps single moms and their children get clothing, food, and other necessities. The charity also helps moms learn life skills, find shelter, and get the services and items they need to support their families. 

How to get help: 

Open Doors 

Open Doors offers families domestic violence support, counseling, respite care, and case management. 

How to get help: 

Call 801-773-0712 for the Clearfield office or 801-771-4642 for the Layton office.

The Salvation Army of Utah

Utah residents can find Salvation Army locations in Salt Lake City, Ogden, Vernal, and St. George. The Salvation Army helps families with:

  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Housing assistance
  • Spiritual guidance
  • Disaster programs
  • Education
  • Employment help
  • Emergency financial assistance


Each Salvation Army location has its own requirements for its programs and services.

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your nearest location.

United Ways in Utah

The United Way provides resources necessary to their local communities, such as:

  • Health clinics
  • Youth events
  • Financial assistance
  • Senior services
  • Child development
  • Clothing and shelter

How to get help: 

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *