scroll top

Help for single moms in Oregon: 29 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Oregon struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Oregon

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Cash Assistance in Oregon

TANF (​Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) provides cash benefits to low-​income families with children. These benefits help cover a family’s basic needs — like food, clothing, rent and utilities — while they work toward self-sufficiency.

You’ll receive benefits deposited onto an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card (also called an Oregon Trail Card) that can be used like a debit card to buy non-food items (SNAP benefits are for food). The​ maximum monthly benefit a family of three can receive is $506.

Most people who get cash benefits are also in the JOBS program, which helps people receive employment training and connect with job opportunities. 


  • ​Live in Oregon
  • Are either:
    • 18 or younger and head of their household
    • Pregnant
    • Have a child who is 18 or younger
  • Have low income and very few assets:
Help for single moms in Oregon TANF income chart.

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Oregon: 

Single moms in Oregon can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Oregon

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Oregon

There are multiple programs in Oregon to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

ACCESS Rental Program

The ACCESS Rental Program is provided by Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS). If you need help paying your rent or utilities, ACCESS may be able to help. Qualifying households can also receive eviction prevention services. 


Income eligibility cannot exceed 80% of the AMI.

How to get help: 

Call 541-414-0319 or fill out the form on the website.

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent.


Vouchers and housing are based on household income and family size. You can find your county’s income limits on the HUD website

How to get help: 

Housing Stability Assistance

A Housing Counselor (from various agencies and recommended by the state of Oregon) can help you learn about housing stability programs and which ones might be right for you, including: 

  • Emergency rent assistance
  • Energy conservation programs
  • Renter support programs
  • Homeless services
  • Family shelters
  • Severe weather shelters
  • Rent Well tenant education courses
  • Supportive services for veterans’ families

How to get help:

Find a housing counselor near you here 

Mortgage assistance in Oregon 

If you need help buying a home in Oregon, these programs can help: 

Oregon Homeowner Assistance Program

The Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) Homeowner Assistance Fund helps homeowners who are behind on mortgage payments because of COVID-19. Homeowners cannot receive more than $60,000 in total assistance. The majority of assistance is given to low-income or socially disadvantaged households. 

The Homeowner Assistance Fund has multiple programs available. Homeowners who apply for relief through the fund will be evaluated for all of its programs, including:

  • Past-Due Payment Relief Program. This program helps eligible low- and medium-income homeowners with up to $50,000 to pay off past-due balances for eligible housing costs.
  • Ongoing Payment Relief Program. This program helps eligible low-income homeowners by giving them money to cover all or some of their monthly mortgage payments and housing costs. Homeowners can receive help for up to six months and up to $10,000 per household. 


Must be a homeowner and meet these general eligibility requirements: 

  • Living at the property as your primary residence
  • Property is a 1- to 4-unit residential property, condominium, manufactured home, or floating home
  • Listed as a borrower on the mortgage or are the owner of the property
  • Experienced financial hardship (either a reduction in income or increase in living expenses) due to the coronavirus pandemic after Jan. 21, 2020
  • Original mortgage principal balance must be at or below the Federal Housing Finance Agency conforming loan limits in place on the date you entered into your mortgage
  • Mortgage cannot be an open home equity line of credit (HELOC)
  • Mortgage servicer must be enrolled in the OHCS Homeowner Assistance Fund program
  • For the Past-Due Payment Relief program:
    • Total post-due amount on your mortgage or other housing cost must be less than $50,000
    • Must be at or below 150% AMI or 100% of the median income for the United States, whichever is greater
    • Don’t have enough liquid assets to pay the past-due amounts and bring your housing costs current
    • Must be able to afford your housing costs
  • For the Ongoing Payment Relief program:
    • Homeowners must be at or below 100% AMI or 100% of the median income for the United States, whichever is greater

How to get help: 

Foreclosure Prevention Program 

The Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance Program helps homeowners avoid foreclosure. Before foreclosure occurs, you can request a resolution conference with a lender. This program gives you and the lender a neutral environment to discuss your options. You’ll receive free foreclosure counseling from a state-approved housing counselor; a direct, face-to-face meeting with your lender; and neutral oversight from a trained mediator or facilitator.


  • Your lender has not commenced foreclosure
  • A housing counselor certifies that you are either more than 30 days behind on your mortgage, or experiencing a financial hardship that may qualify you for a foreclosure avoidance measure

How to get help: 

  • Contact Mediation Case Manager toll free at 855-658-6733 or locally at 503-451-6774 
  • Email [email protected] to get connected with a case manager who will work with you throughout the process

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless assistance in Oregon

The Emergency Housing Assistance Program assists low-income people who are currently homeless or who are at risk of becoming homeless.


  • Household annual income no greater than 80% of AMI
  • Veterans’ funding is also available for people who have served on active duty or received a ribbon or medal for service and been discharged or released under honorable conditions

How to get help: 

To talk with someone about resources and services in your local area or county, contact your local community action agency. 

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Oregon

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Oregon, check out the following programs:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) in Oregon

The Oregon Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that helps low-income households with home heating and cooling costs.


  • Resident of Oregon
  • Need financial assistance with home energy costs
  • If you participate or have family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, SSI, or TANF, you automatically meet the eligibility requirement
  • Annual household income (before taxes) is below 60% of the state median income — $50,506/year for a family of three

How to get help:

Contact your local LIHEAP office.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Oregon's Weatherization Assistance Program aims to reduce home energy costs by making homes more energy efficient. Services include: 

  • Health and safety repairs
  • Heating system repair and replacement
  • Base-load measures
  • Energy education to eligible households


Preference may be given to:

  • People over 60 years of age
  • Families with one or more members with a disability
  • Families with children (in most states)

You are automatically eligible to receive weatherization assistance if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).

How to get help:

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Oregon

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families:        

Advantage Dental Services (OHP)

Advantage Dental Oral Health Centers are closely affiliated with Advantage Dental Services, a Medicaid (OHP) plan. You can receive coverage for the following:

  • Preventive dental care (yearly cleaning, X-rays, fluoride varnish)
  • Treatment for problems (fillings, extractions, dentures, crowns, root canals)
  • Emergency dental care
  • Help getting to dental appointments 


Live in Oregon and meet these income requirements

How to get help: 

Go to and answer the screening questions

Health Share of Oregon

If you are a member of Health Share of Oregon (the state’s largest coordinated care organization), you can receive dental care at no cost, including:

  • Cleanings
  • Exams
  • Fillings
  • Fluoride
  • Sealants
  • Stainless steel crowns for molars 
  • Care for gum disease
  • Full dentures every 10 years (and partial dentures every 5 years) no matter how long ago your teeth were removed

How to get help: 

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Oregon

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Oregon by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Oregon Medicaid

The Oregon Health Plan (a Medicaid expansion program) provides health care services delivered through managed care and based on a prioritized list of medical conditions and treatments.


  • Resident of the state of Oregon
  • U.S. national, citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien
  • In need of health care/insurance assistance
  • Meet household income guidelines — $33,064/year for a family of three
  • Must also be one of the following:
  • Pregnant
  • Responsible for a child 17 years of age or younger
  • Have a disability or a family member in your household with a disability

How to get help:

  • To apply for OHP online, apply for medical benefits at  
  • Call 800-359-9517

Oregon State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)

CHIP provides low-cost comprehensive health coverage to children (and sometimes pregnant women) of families that earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid. SCHIP allows Oregon to offer health insurance for eligible children, up to age 19, who are not already insured.


You must be a resident of Oregon and meet all of the following:

  • Either 18 years of age and under, or a primary caregiver with a child(ren) 18 years of age and under
  • A U.S. Citizen, National, or a Non-Citizen legally admitted into the U.S.
  • Uninsured (and ineligible for Medicaid)
  • Meet household income guidelines — $74,580/year for a family of three

How to get help: 

To receive an Oregon Health Plan application packet for SCHIP, call 800-359-9517 or visit the Apply for OHP page.

Healthy Start of Southern Oregon

Healthy Start provides women with support, education, and community referrals for:

  • Birth Plan/Childbirth Education
  • Breastfeeding Information
  • Counseling Support
  • Medical and Dental Appointments/Insurance
  • Family Planning
  • Fatherhood Support
  • Housing Assistance
  • Nutrition Information
  • Prenatal Care
  • Postpartum Care
  • STI Treatment/Prevention
  • Substance Use/Abuse
  • Well-Baby Care
  • Women’s Health

How to get help: 

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Oregon

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Oregon’s Food Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

Click here for a list of what you can and cannot buy


  • Oregon resident
  • Current bank balance (savings and checking combined) under $2,001 or under $3,001
  • Share your household with one of the following:
    • Person or persons age 60 and over
    • Person with a disability (child, spouse, parent, yourself)
  • Meet household income guidelines

How to get help: 

To apply online, please visit the Oregon Department of Human Services application page.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children is a nutrition program that provides free baby formula and nutritional food items to low-income mothers and their babies. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

To apply for WIC, contact the WIC agency nearest you to schedule an appointment. Or call 800-735-2900. 

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. 

An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. Schools with at least 80% of the students eligible for free or reduced-price meals must provide breakfast at no cost to all students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

Apply online or contact your child’s school to enroll. 

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

SFSP provides nutritious meals/snacks to children in low-income areas during summer months and long vacation periods during the school year. 

The program provides up to two meals or one meal and one snack per day per child. They are typically available at schools, churches, recreation centers, camps, playgrounds, parks, etc. 


  • Children 18 years old and younger
  • Children 19 years and over who have a mental/physical disability

How to get help:

  • Call the National Hunger Hotline at 866-2-HUNGRY
  • Searchable Meal Site Locator
  • Call 866-348-6479 to find nearest site to you
  • Text “Summer Meals” to 97779

Oregon food banks

The Oregon Food Bank Network helps communities and organizations across Oregon and southwest Washington get access to food. It includes 21 regional food banks that manage logistics and distribute food and services and more than 1,400 sites where anyone can get free food.


Each food bank sets its own eligibility and proof of need requirements. 

How to get help: 

  • To find a food bank near you and for additional information, visit the Oregon Food Banks website
  • Call 503-282-0555 to speak to the Chief Executive, Susannah Morgan

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Oregon

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Oregon:

Oregon Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Preschool Promise

Preschool Promise (PSP) offers free, high-quality preschool to Oregon families who are living at or below 200% of the FPL in Oregon. Serving children ages three and four, PSP is a publicly funded program and complements other early learning programs such as Oregon Pre-Kindergarten. 


Oregon families who are living at or below 200% of the FPL qualify.

How to get help: 

Families enroll in Preschool Promise by working with their regional Early Learning Hub.

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Oregon

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Oregon

You must be 18 years of age to take the GED test independently. If you’re under 18, you need to be:

  • At least 16 years old
  • Enrolled in an Oregon Option Program for in-school youth
  • Exempted by your local school district
  • Legally emancipated or pursuing the GED® with a parent or guardian’s permission

16-year-olds may need a court order, and no one under 16 may take the test. 

The GED test is broken into four exams on different subjects, which can be spaced out and taken at your own pace (though each individual exam has a time limit): 

  • Mathematical reasoning – 115 minutes
  • Reasoning through language arts – 150 minutes
  • Social studies – 70 minutes
  • Science – 90 minutes

You have two options for taking the test in Oregon: 

  • Online at-home test – $44 per subject
  • In person at a test center – $38 per subject

Grants and scholarships in Oregon

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) connects students and prospective students with grants and scholarships available in Florida. To find out which scholarships and grants you may be eligible for, create a student profile on the OSFA website

Individual schools also offer need-based and academic scholarships for their students. If you’ve been accepted to a higher education institution, contact their office of financial aid to learn how to apply. 

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Oregon

Workforce programs in Oregon provide training and assist with employment:

Oregon Reemployment Assistance (Insurance) Program

This program provides unemployment compensation to eligible Oregon workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Unemployed
  • Worked in Oregon during the past 12 -18 months
  • Worked a minimum amount of hours or earned a minimum amount of wages as determined by Oregon guidelines
  • Be able to work, available for work, and actively seeking work each week you are collecting benefits

How to get help: 

American Job Centers

American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Oregon

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Oregon that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Oregon

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your local chapter. 

Catholic Charities of Oregon

Catholic Charities assists with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Oregon

The United Way of Oregon connects people in need with local resources like: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Not your state? Select yours here:


I appreciate your site. I didn’t fill out the form for help cause I don’t think I’ll win. I just wanted to show appreciation for this page.

This website is beyond wonderful, thank you for reaching out to others needing these resources! Bless you Emma!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *