scroll top

Help for single moms in Oklahoma: 34 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Oklahoma struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Statistically, families benefit most with cash assistance (vs through benefits programs).1 Here is our guide to single mom grant programs, including our own.

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Oklahoma

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in Oklahoma

TANF offers financial assistance and services to low-income families with children to help them: 

  • Meet basic needs
  • Train for employment
  • Find employment
  • Pay for child care

The maximum amount a family of three can receive is $292/month. Households can only receive TANF benefits for 60 months in a lifetime, unless the department determines the family qualifies for an exemption or temporary hardship extension.


  • U.S. citizen or legal alien
  • Oklahoma resident
  • Responsible for minor child living in the home
  • All members of household must have Social Security numbers
  • Agree to cooperate with Child Support Services
  • Agree to cooperate with personalized TANF Work Plan
  • Meet income eligibility — $3,148/month for a family of three

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Oklahoma: 

Single moms in Oklahoma can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Oklahoma

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Oklahoma

There are multiple programs in Oklahoma to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Performance Based Contract Administration

The Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency (OHFA) offers a rental assistance program for low-income families struggling to pay their rent. Residents apply to live in low-cost apartments.

Overall Qualifications:

Each development has its own set of qualifications. 

How to get help: 

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent. The voucher covers a portion of the rent. The tenant must pay 30-40% of their monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities. 


  • Oklahoma resident
  • Income cannot exceed 50% of median income for the county in which you live

How to get help: 

Mortgage assistance in Oklahoma

If you need help with your mortgage in Oklahoma, these programs can help: 

Oklahoma Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)

The Oklahoma Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) provides financial assistance of up to $35,000 to those who have suffered a significant financial hardship due to COVID-19. 

The fund helps homeowners with: 

  • Delinquent mortgage reinstatement
  • Mortgage payment assistance for reinstated homeowners
  • Mortgage deferral amount, partial claim amount, or principal reduction amount
  • Delinquent property taxes
  • Restoration of homeowner's insurance after delinquency
  • Delinquent Homeowners Association (HOA) dues


  • U.S. Citizen or those who have a green card
  • Oklahoma resident with house as primary residence
  • Home cannot be listed for sale by homeowner
  • Homeowner must be able to sustain home after receiving HAF assistance
  • Financial hardship must have been experienced after January 21, 2020 and due to COVID-19
  • Mortgage must be 30 days delinquent, in a forbearance plan, or entering or completed a loan modification
  • Homeowners who are delinquent on eligible expenses including:
    • Reinstatement of delinquent mortgage
    • Mortgage payment assistance for reinstated homeowners
    • Delinquent property tax
    • Restoring canceled homeowner’s insurance
    • Delinquent HOA fees
  • Homeowners who are at or below 150% of AMI
  • Eligible mortgages must be secured by government or government-sponsored entity 

How to get help:

Community Action Agency of Oklahoma Rent/Mortgage Assistance

The Community Action Agency of Oklahoma City currently has funds through FEMA and the United Way to assist with mortgage and/or rental payments. 


  • Household income at or below 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
  • Late note from the landlord or mortgage statement must be provided
  • Documented emergency that used rent/mortgage money 
  • Documented emergency must be at least $1 more than the rent/mortgage payment
  • Must show that you can pay next month’s rent/mortgage payment
  • Must have already moved into the home/apartment
  • Oklahoma resident
  • Section 8 or public housing recipients cannot qualify

How to get help:

Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency (OHFA)

The OHFA offers mortgage loan products that include 3.5% of the total loan amount to be used for down payment and closing costs through these two programs: 

Gold Loan Program (Government and Conventional)

Buyers applying for this program must be first-time homebuyers unless purchasing in a targeted area. The maximum purchase price in a non-targeted area is $349,525 and in a targeted area, $427,198. 


  • First-time homebuyer unless purchasing in targeted area
  • Income limits vary by county
  • Teachers, First Responders, and State Employees may qualify for special rate

Dream Loan Program

Buyers in this program may own another property but must use the OHFA loan to purchase their primary residence. The maximum purchase price is $356,362 (Government Loan) or $453,100 (Freddie Conventional Loan)


  • Both first time and repeat homebuyers
  • Buyers may choose to use 3.5% down payment assistance or bring their own funds to lower interest rates
  • Income limits vary by county

How to get help for both programs:

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless and special needs housing assistance in Oklahoma

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you may be able to get help from the following programs: 

Continuum of Care (CoC) agencies

These agencies coordinate housing and services for the homeless using funds from the Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG), which was established to help homeless individuals move toward independent living. 

How to get help:

Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH)

PATH programs are located in McAlester, Oklahoma City, Tahlequah, and Tulsa, and provide services for those who are homeless and suffer from mental illness. 

How to get help:

Homeless Alliance

This nonprofit offers several housing programs for those suffering from homelessness or who are at risk of homelessness. 

How to get help:

HopeHouse OKC

This nonprofit has a mission to break the cycles of poverty and homelessness through transitional housing, children's education services, and safe affordable housing options. 


  • Applicant is homeless or facing eviction, foreclosure, or loss of residency
  • Applicant must have dependent children in custody or be in the process of reunification

How to get help:

The Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (ODMHSAS)

The ODMHSAS has services that can assist people who are homeless and have a mental illness in getting treatment and support services. 

How to get help:

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Oklahoma

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Oklahoma, check out the following programs:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) in Oklahoma

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) provides a one-time annual benefit to help cover home energy bills if you are disconnected or about to be disconnected. EAP will not cover all energy costs.


  • U.S. Citizen or legally admitted immigrant
  • Oklahoma resident
  • Applicants must be responsible for the household energy bill
  • Meet income guidelines — $28,236/year for a family of three

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program

WAP helps qualifying households lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Owners of eligible rental properties may be required to pay 50% of any improvements.

Weatherization projects may include:

  • Air sealing
  • Energy efficient light bulbs
  • Insulation
  • Low-flow shower heads
  • Pipe raps
  • Solar screens
  • Weather-stripping


  • Oklahoma resident
  • U.S. Citizen or non-eligible citizen
  • At or below 200% of the poverty level
  • Meet income guidelines — $34,545/year for a family of three

How to get help:

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Oklahoma

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families in the state of Oklahoma.

Low or No-Cost Dental Care in Oklahoma

These local clinics provide low or no-cost dental services in Oklahoma

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Oklahoma

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its eligibility criteria for free or reduced-cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Oklahoma by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Oklahoma SoonerCare (Medicaid)

Medicaid helps pay some or all medical bills for families with children who can't afford them. Coverage includes doctor visits, hospitalizations, and prescriptions, among other benefits.

There is no cost for those who meet the income guidelines, though co-pays may apply to some services.


  • U.S. Citizen or qualified non-citizen
  • Adults with children under 19
  • Children under 19 years old and pregnant women
  • Individuals 65 years old and older
  • Individuals who are blind or who have disabilities 
  • Women under 65 in need of breast/cervical cancer treatments
  • SoonerPlan: men and women 19 and older with family planning needs
  • Individuals who were enrolled in Medicaid and who aged out of foster care
  • Meet income guidelines — $4,032/month for a family of three
  • For a family of three the maximum monthly income limit is and annual income is $48,384

How to get help:


SoonerPlan is Oklahoma’s family planning program for men and women not enrolled in SoonerCare services.

Benefits include: 

  • Birth control information/supplies
  • Office visits related to family planning
  • Laboratory tests related to family planning services such as pregnancy tests, Pap smears, STD screening
  • Tubal ligations for women age 21 and older
  • Vasectomies for men age 21 and older
  • Gardasil for males and females through age 45 years old


  • U.S. Citizen or qualified non-citizen
  • Oklahoma resident
  • Not enrolled in regular SoonerCare
  • Within 133% of FPL — $2,554 for a family of three

How to get help:

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Oklahoma

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

Click here for a list of what you can and cannot buy


  • Oklahoma resident
  • U.S. citizen or legal immigrant
  • Show proof of identity
  • Households must provide or apply for Social Security numbers for each member
  • All able-bodied adults must register for work and accept suitable employment
  • Asset/resource limit of $5,000
  • Meet income limits — $1,920/month for a family of three

How to get help: 

Oklahoma’s Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC provides checks to buy healthy foods, information about nutrition and health, support and information about breastfeeding, and help finding other community services. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help:

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP)

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

Contact your child’s school to enroll.

Child & Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)

CACFP provides food to low-income children in child care and adults who receive care in nonresidential adult day care centers. It also provides food to children residing in emergency shelters and eligible afterschool programs. 


  • Infants and children through age 12 in child care centers or day care homes
  • Children through age 18 are eligible in afterschool care centers
  • Adults enrolled in daycare center and are at 60 years or older or have a mental/physical disability 
  • Meet income guidelines:
    • Free meals: $2,495/month for a family of three
    • Reduced-Price meals: $3,551/month for a family of three

How to get help:

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

SFSP provides nutritious meals/snacks to children in low-income areas during summer months and long vacation periods during the school year. 

The program provides up to two meals or one meal and one snack per day per child. Meal sites are typically at schools, churches, recreation centers, camps, playgrounds, parks, etc. 


  • Children 18 years old and younger
  • Children 19 years and over who have a mental/physical disability

How to get help:

  • Call the National Hunger Hotline at 866-2-HUNGRY
  • Searchable Meal Site Locator
  • Call 866-348-6479 to find nearest site to you
  • Text “Summer Meals” to 97779

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Oklahoma

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Head Start and Early Head Start 

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start
  • Meet income guidelines — $24,860/year for a family of three

How to apply: 

Oklahoma Child Care Subsidy

This program helps parents pay for licensed child care while they go to work, attend job training, or get an education. 


  • Oklahoma resident
  • Children aged birth through 12 or through age 18 with disabilities 
  • Family must need support because parent or caregiver is attending school or training
  • Meet income guidelines — $4,059/month for a family of three

How to get help:

Oklahoma Child Care 

Oklahoma Child Care helps families find child care in their area and provides resources for financial assistance. 


Families may qualify for state financial assistance if the household income is: 

  • $2,425/month with one child
  • $2,925/month with two children
  • $3,625/month with three children or more

How to get help:

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Oklahoma

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Oklahoma High School Equivalency Test or GED

Oklahoma residents may take either the GED or the HiSET to earn their high school equivalency.  

Oklahoma GED

The Oklahoma GED is made up of four subjects: 

  • Mathematical reasoning
  • Reasoning through language arts
  • Social studies
  • Science

You do not have to take all four tests at once and can space them out how you choose. 


  • $34 per module at a test center
  • $40 per subject if taken online at home


  • You must be 18 years old or 16/17 if you are granted permission from a parent or school administrator
  • Not currently enrolled in high school or graduated from high school
  • If you are testing in person, you are required to take the GED Ready practice test only if you are 16 years old
  • If you are testing the test online, regardless of age, you are required to take the GED Ready practice test

How to get help:

Oklahoma High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)

The HiSET is a five-part test that helps you earn a state-issued high school equivalency credential. 

Costs vary depending on where you take the exam and the format of the exam you take: 

  • State Administration Fee: $5.00
  • Paper-Based Test Fee: $17.50
  • Computer-Based Fee: $15.25
  • Test Center Fee: $7.50
  • Test at Home Fee: $17.50


  • Must not be enrolled in high school
  • Must be without a high school diploma
  • 18 years and older if you have not already passed a state-approved high school equivalency exam
  • 16/17 years old under certain conditions
  • You do not need to be an Oklahoma resident
  • Must present valid photo identification

How to get help:

  • Create an account online
  • Once you create an account, choose a testing day, and use available resources to prepare

Grants and scholarships in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma CareerTech site has a list of scholarships and grants available for students pursuing a secondary education. The Oklahoma City Community Foundation also has a comprehensive list of possible scholarships. 


Each scholarship has its own list of qualifications.

How to get help:

Public service loan forgiveness

If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness. 

How to get help:

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Oklahoma

Workforce programs in Oklahoma provide training and assist with employment:

Unemployment Insurance

This program provides temporary unemployment compensation to eligible Oklahoma workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Oklahoma resident
  • Unemployed through no fault of your own
  • You earned a minimum of $1,500 from a covered employer during your base period
  • Able to work, available to work, actively seeking work 

How to get help: 

Oklahoma Works American Job Centers

The American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Oklahoma

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Oklahoma that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Oklahoma

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter, and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs.

How to get help: 

Contact your local Salvation Army branch

Catholic Charities of Oklahoma

Catholic Charities assist with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Oklahoma

The United Way of Oklahoma connects people in need with local resources: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

More charities for single moms: 


  1. “The Long-Term Impacts of Cash Assistance to Families,” by Kevin Werner, The Urban Institute, Jan. 31, 2024

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *