scroll top

Help for single moms in Nevada: 39 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Nevada struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Nevada

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in Nevada

The Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS) in Nevada offers five different TANF programs, which provide financial assistance and services to people in need. 

If a family qualifies for more than one program, the family has the final say in which one they choose. A family of three can get up to $383 a month. 


  • For families with work-eligible adults
  • Head of household must enter into a Personal Responsibility Plan for reducing their dependency on public assistance
  • Adults must work a defined number of hours to remain eligible for the program
  • Households may receive 24 months of assistance after which they are unable to receive cash assistance for 12 months

TANF Child-Only

  • Cash assistance program for families with no work-eligible adults
  • Monthly cash benefit may be given if a child is living with a relative or caregiver because their parent is not in the home or ineligible to work due to citizenship requirements
  • If you accept TANF-Child Only, you must cooperate with child services

Self Sufficiency Grant (SSG)

  • One-time lump sum payment for families who may be eligible for another program but have an immediate financial need
  • If you receive SSG, you are not eligible to receive TANF benefits for a period of time afterward, determined by dividing the SSG benefit amount by the maximum TANF benefit for your household size

Temporary (TEMP) Program

  • Provides monthly cash payments to help with immediate financial needs 
  • Limited to no more than four months per episode (an unforeseen circumstance such as a fire, earthquake, etc.)


  • Monthly cash payment to meet immediate financial needs with the expectation that an adult member has a future source of income and will be able to pay the money back 
  • Households may receive 24 months of assistance, after which they cannot receive cash benefits for 12 months


  • U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen
  • Nevada resident
  • Children aged 7 to 12 years old must attend school
  • Child 18 years old in school full time and expected to graduate before or in the month of their 19th birthday is eligible for TANF through their graduation month
  • Minor parents must be enrolled and attending high school or participating in GED program
  • Adults must sign Agreement of Cooperation
  • Assessment is required for each household member to evaluate existing skills, prior work experience, employment potential, and other issues that may be a barrier to self-sufficiency (TANF-NEON, TANF CHILD ONLY, and TANF-LOAN)
  • Parent/caregiver must cooperate in establishing paternity or seeking child support from non-custodial parent
  • Children must be living with individual applying for assistance
  • Each TANF member must apply for Social Security Number unless you are a non-qualified citizen
  • All children in household must be immunized properly
  • Create a Personal Responsibility Plan (PRP) (TANF-NEON only)
  • Countable resources cannot exceed $6,000 per TANF household
  • Families must meet income guidelines — $2,116 for a family of three 

How to get help:

  • Contact your local DWSS office 
  • Apply online
  • Complete an application and fax to your local DWSS office
  • An eligibility decision is made within 45 days from the application date
  • Visit the Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services website for more information

More emergency cash help in Nevada: 

Single moms in Nevada can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Nevada

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Nevada

There are multiple programs in Nevada to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent. The voucher covers a portion of the rent. The tenant pays 30% to 40% of their monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities. 


  • Nevada resident
  • Income cannot exceed 50% of AMI for the county in which you live

How to get help: 

Clark County CARES

Clark County CARES Housing Assistance Program (CHAP) was initially established to help residents of Clark County who had been impacted by COVID-19 with rent.

The program has now been updated to help those facing eviction due to non-payment of rent.


  • Resident of Clark County
  • At least one member of a household living on a fixed income
  • Have experienced a rent increase within a 12-month period prior to the date of application
  • Received an eviction notice for nonpayment of rent
  • Have filed an Answer to the eviction notice in Justice Court

How to get help:

Mortgage assistance in Nevada

If you need help with your mortgage in Nevada, these programs can help: 

Unemployment Mortgage Assistance Program (UMA)

This program provides temporary financial help to Nevada homeowners who have suffered a loss of income due to under- or unemployment, up to $3,000 per month for 12 months. 


  • Experienced involuntary job loss due to COVID-19 pandemic on or after January 21, 2020
  • At least one homeowner must be currently unemployed and receiving Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB) or have received UIB any time on or after January 21, 2020
  • Household income must be equal to or less than 150% of AMI or 100% of the median income of the U.S., whichever is greater
  • Homeowner must own and occupy a single family Nevada home as a primary residence
  • 3-year lien will be required
  • Eligible financial hardship must have occurred after the purchase of the home
  • Homeowner cannot be in active bankruptcy
  • No Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) properties

How to get help:

Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program (MRAP)

This program helps income-qualified Nevada homeowners in default who have experienced COVID-19-related financial hardships. 

Households can receive up to $50,000 in assistance.


  • Experienced involuntary job loss due to COVID-19 pandemic on or after January 21, 2020
  • Mortgage and/or housing related expenses (property taxes, homeowner’s insurance and/or HOA dues), must be two or more payments past due at the time of the application
  • Must be able to sustain monthly mortgage payment after reinstatement
  • Household income must be equal to or less than 150% of AMI or 100% of the median income of the U.S., whichever is greater
  • Homeowner must own and occupy a single family Nevada home as a primary residence
  • A 3 year or 5 year lien will be required
  • Eligible financial hardship must have occurred after the purchase of the home
  • Homeowner cannot be in active bankruptcy
  • No Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) properties

How to get help:

Home is Possible Down Payment Assistance Programs

These programs help low- and moderate-income homebuyers get a fixed interest rate 30-year mortgage with assistance for down payment and/or closing costs. 


How to get help:

Home First Down Payment Assistance

This new program from the Nevada Housing Division helps homebuyers qualify for 30-year fixed rate mortgages with up to $15,000 in down payment assistance, which may be forgivable if you stay in the home for at least three years. Home purchase price limits vary by county. 


  • First-time homebuyer
  • Nevada resident for at least 6 months prior to applying
  • Minimum credit score of 640
  • Must complete homebuyer education course
  • Income must fall within household income limits — $74,580 for a family of three

How to get help:

Home Again

This program helps determine which state or federal assistance may be available to you, as a “one-stop” free resource. Call 855-457-4638 for assistance. 

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless and special needs housing assistance in Nevada

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you may be able to get help from the following programs: 

Emergency Solutions Grant Program

The Nevada Housing Division receives funds from the federal government to provide services to individuals at risk of homelessness or who are currently homeless. They help with:

  • Shelter
  • Rapid rehousing
  • Homeless prevention
  • Homeless management information systems

How to get help:

Emergency Shelter

Find emergency shelters close to you through this search engine or call 866-535-5654.

Help Hope Home

The Homeless Resource Guide has numerous names and contact information to help with: 

  • Shelter
  • Food
  • Veteran resources
  • Youth services

Coordinated Entry Assessment

If you are at risk of homelessness or are currently homeless, Nevada’s Coordinated Entry System may help you find housing. You can go to any Clark County Social Service office for help. 

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Nevada

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Nevada, check out the following programs:

Energy Assistance Program (EAP) in Nevada

EAP provides a one-time annual benefit to help cover home energy bills if you are disconnected or about to be disconnected. The benefit amount varies based on household size, income, and energy usage.


  • U.S. Citizen or legally admitted immigrant
  • Nevada resident
  • Applicants must be partly responsible for the household energy bill
  • Applicant must have an active heating/cooling utility account
  • Household’s total monthly gross income may not exceed 150% of FPL — $2,878.75/month for a household of three

How to get help:

Water and Sewer Assistance Program (WSAP)

The WSAP provides assistance to qualifying low-income Nevadans with the help of water and wastewater bill costs. Applications will be accepted through September 30th, 2023, or until funds run out. Eligible households receive a one-time benefit of at least $240.


  • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Nevada resident
  • Household must be responsible for water and sewer costs
  • Household’s total monthly gross income may not exceed 150% of FPL — $2,878.75/month for a household of three

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program

WAP helps qualifying households lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Owners of eligible rental properties may be required to pay 50% of any improvements.

Weatherization projects may include: 

  • Air sealing
  • Energy efficient light bulbs
  • Insulation
  • Low-flow shower heads
  • Pipe raps
  • Solar screens
  • Weather-stripping


  • Nevada resident
  • U.S. Citizen or non-eligible citizen
  • Meet income guidelines — $34,545/year for a family of three

How to get help:

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Nevada

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families in the state of Nevada.

Low or no-cost dental care in Nevada

These local clinics provide low or no-cost dental services in Nevada. Each clinic sets its own eligibility criteria. 

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Nevada

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced-cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Nevada by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Nevada Medicaid

Medicaid provides medical benefits to eligible low-income families. The Division of Welfare and Support Services (DWSS) determines eligibility. 


  • Adults between 19-64 years old
  • Income is at or below 138% of FPL
  • Children under the age of 19 whose income is at or below 205% of FPL
  • Pregnant women whose household income level is less than 165% of the FPL
  • Parents or caretakers with income at or below 138% FPL
  • Supplemental Security Income recipients
  • Certain Medicare beneficiaries 

How to get help:

  • Apply online
  • See if you qualify with this quiz
  • View brochure for more information
  • For Northern Nevada assistance, call 775-684-7200
  • For Southern Nevada assistance, call 702-486-1646

Nevada Check Up

Nevada Check Up provides low-cost health coverage to uninsured children who are not covered by private insurance or Medicaid. This is the state of Nevada’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). 


  • Nevada resident
  • U.S. Citizen or qualified Non-Citizen
  • Children aged up through 18 years old
  • Household income with an annual income of up to 200% of FPL — maximum income per year is $49,720 for a family of three
  • Children must be currently uninsured

How to get help:

The Nevada Health link website was created to help people find affordable health insurance that fits within their budget. Nevadans can browse, compare, and purchase qualifying health insurance plans. 

Community Health Alliance

Community Health Alliance offers seven locations that are able to provide care regardless of income or insurance status. They are able to provide services for: 

  • Primary care
  • Pediatric care
  • Women’s/reproductive health
  • Chronic disease management
  • Dental care
  • Behavioral health
  • Low-cost pharmacies

How to get help:

Northern Nevada Hopes

Northern Nevada Hopes provides comprehensive medical, behavioral, and wellness care to those in the Northern Nevada region. 

How to get help:

  • Visit Northern Nevada Hopes for more information
  • Call 775-786-4673 for more information
  • Visit Northern Nevada Hopes:
    • 580 West 5th Street
      Reno, NV 89512

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Nevada

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

Click here for a list of what you can and cannot buy


  • Nevada resident
  • U.S. citizen or legal immigrant
  • Show proof of identity
  • Households must provide or apply for Social Security numbers for each member
  • All able-bodied adults must register for work and accept suitable employment
  • Asset/resource limit of $5,000
  • Meet income limits and allotments — $1,984/month for a family of three

How to get help: 

Nevada’s Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC provides checks to buy healthy foods, information about nutrition and health, support and information about breastfeeding, and help finding other community services.


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC 

How to get help:

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP)

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines

How to get help: 

Contact your child’s school to enroll.

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

SFSP provides nutritious meals/snacks to children in low-income areas during summer months and long vacation periods during the school year. The program provides up to two meals or one meal and one snack per day per child. These are typically available at schools, churches, recreation centers, camps, playgrounds, parks, etc. 


  • Children 18 years old and younger
  • Children 19 years and over who have a mental/physical disability

How to get help:

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Nevada

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Nevada.

Nevada Head Start and Early Head Start 

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Nevada Child Care Fund

This program provides financial assistance to eligible parents for child care services. You can use their child care portal below to find licensed care in Nevada.  


To determine if you are eligible, you need to contact the child care resource agency in your area

How to get help:

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Nevada

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Nevada High School Equivalency Test or GED

Nevada residents may take either the GED or the HiSET to earn their high school equivalency.  

Nevada GED:

The Nevada GED is made up of four subjects, including: 

  • Mathematical reasoning
  • Reasoning through language arts
  • Social studies
  • Science

You do not have to take all four tests at once and can space them out how you choose. 


  • $25 per module at a test center
  • $36 per subject if taken online


  • Must be 18 years old or 16/17 if you are granted permission
  • Must be a Nevada resident
  • If you are testing in person, you are required to take the GED Ready practice test only if you are 16 years old
  • If you are taking the test online, regardless of age, you are required to take the GED Ready practice test

How to get help:

Nevada High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)

The HiSET is a five-part test that helps you earn a state-issued high school equivalency credential. 


  • Paper-based test: $15
  • Computer-based test: $10.75
  • Test-at-home fee: $17.50


  • You do not have to be enrolled in high school
  • Must be without a high school diploma
  • 18 years and older if you have not already passed a state-approved high school equivalency exam
  • 16-17 years old under certain conditions
  • Must present written permission of withdrawal from compulsory attendance from the board of trustees of a school district along with signed parental permission
  • Must take the exam at a test center
  • Nevada resident
  • Local testing center may require a practice exam
  • Must present valid photo identification

How to get help:

Grants and scholarships in Nevada

The Nevada State’s Treasurer’s Office has a comprehensive list of available grants and scholarships for Nevada students pursuing post-secondary education. 


Each scholarship has its own list of qualifications. Visit the individual site for further review. 

How to get help:

Nevada Promise Scholarship

This state-supported program helps high school graduates attend community college, covering up to three years of tuition and other mandatory fees. 


  • Nevada resident
  • Must be a high school graduate or Nevada Promise Scholarship recipient from the previous year
  • By June 15th, must have earned one of the following:
    • High school diploma from Nevadan school
    • High school diploma from the county of another state that borders Nevada and accepts Nevada residence
    • Have GED or equivalent exam
  • Less than 20 years old by June 30 of their high school senior year
  • Not have earned a prior associate’s or bachelor’s degree
  • Not in default on any federal student loan
  • Not owe a refund to any federal student aid program
  • Meet program application deadlines

How to get help:

Jeremiah Program

Jeremiah Program operates in several states including out of Las Vegas to offer grants and other support to low-income single mothers committed to earning a college degree.

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Nevada

Workforce programs in Nevada provide training and assist with employment:

Unemployment Insurance

This program provides temporary unemployment compensation to eligible Nevada workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Nevada resident
  • Unemployed through no fault of your own
  • Must have earned at least a minimum amount in wages before you were unemployed
  • Must have earned at least $400 during the highest paid quarter of your base period (earliest four of the five complete calendar quarters before you file) and one of the following:
    • Your total earnings during base period must be at least one-and-a half times your earnings during the highest paid quarter
    • You must have earned some wages in at least three of the four quarters of the base period
  • Able to work, available to work, actively seeking work 

How to get help: 

American Job Centers

American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help:

Charity organizations in Nevada

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Nevada that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Nevada

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter, and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs.

How to get help: 

Catholic Charities of Nevada

Catholic Charities assist with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Nevada

The United Way of Nevada connects people in need with local resources: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *