scroll top

Help for single moms in Nebraska: 30 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Nebraska struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Nebraska

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) in Nebraska

ADC — Nebraska’s version of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program — provides cash assistance for qualifying families with children or to relatives who have court-ordered custody of a child placed in their home. 

The maximum amount paid out is 55% of the ADC Standard of Need based on the number of eligible members in the household. Cash assistance is available for a lifetime total of 60 months for adults. Children living with relatives may qualify for a longer assistance period. 


  • Must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen
  • Permanent Nebraska resident
  • Have children under 18 or under 19 if still enrolled in high school
  • Pregnant women in third trimester if unable to work or in 9th month of pregnancy
  • Children and mother must have social security number
  • Gross income must be less than 185% of FPL
  • A child must be living in the home maintained by a parent or a relative who is a blood relative of the child.

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Nebraska: 

Single moms in Nebraska can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Nebraska

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Nebraska

There are multiple programs in Nebraska to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Emergency Assistance Program

The Emergency Assistance Program funds shelter expenses, relocation expenses, or non-medical transportation for families in need. Payments are made directly to the provider of the service.


A family must have a child living in the home and meet income guidelines to qualify, which are the same as the income limits for the SNAP program

How to get help: 

  • Apply online on the ACCESS Nebraska website
  • Call the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services at 402-471-3121

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent.


Vouchers and housing are based on household income and family size. You can find your county’s income limits on the HUD website

How to get help: 

Mortgage assistance in Nebraska 

If you need help buying a home in Nebraska, these programs can help: 

Nebraska Homeowner Assistance Fund (NHAF) 

NHAF is designed to assist homeowners affected by the COVID-19 pandemic with past-due payments for their: 

  • Mortgage
  • Utilities
  • Property taxes
  • Insurance 
  • Homeowners’ association dues. 

The program can also assist with future mortgage payments, as well as clearing liens from a homeowner’s property.

The maximum assistance amount is $40,000 per household. Funds are provided in the form of a grant and do not need to be repaid. 


  • All household members must be included on the application 
  • Home must be in Nebraska 
  • Home must be the primary residence 
  • Applicant must have experienced a financial hardship related to the COVID-19 pandemic 
  • Person with the pandemic related financial hardship must be living in the home 
  • Meet AMI limits                         

How to get help: 

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Nebraska Housing down payment assistance

Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA) has several programs to help with down payments and closing costs in the form of a second mortgage loan. Interest rates for this second loan are currently at 1%. Some programs require a minimum investment from the homebuyer of $1,000. See the NIFA site for more details about individual programs.


How to get help: 

The Nebraska Homeless Assistance Program

The main goal of the Nebraska Homeless Assistance Program (NHAP) is to prevent Nebraska residents from becoming homeless — or from having to return to homelessness. The program offers services including:

  • Emergency shelters
  • Transitional housing
  • Permanent housing
  • Counseling to acquire the necessary life skills to maintain permanent housing


Requirements are set by individual Continuums of Care agencies. 

How to get help: 

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Nebraska

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Nebraska, check out the following programs:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) in Nebraska

LIHEAP helps qualifying households with home heating and cooling costs, paid directly to utility companies. The agency does not assist with water, sewer, or telephone services. 

Heating season runs from October 1st to March 31st, and the cooling season runs from June 1st to August 31st. 

Low-income Nebraska residents may also qualify for the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP), which provides financial assistance to water utility providers for households whose drinking water or wastewater services are disconnected or past due. 


  • Meet income guidelines — $34,545/year for a family of three
  • Responsible for paying your home heating or cooling bills
  • Resident of Nebraska
  • U.S. Citizen, qualified alien, or permanent resident of the U.S.

Qualifications for LIHEAP cooling only: 

  • Household includes child under age 6 who receives ADC or someone age 70 or older
  • Household includes someone with a severe illness or condition that is aggravated by extreme heat as verified by a medical statement signed by a licensed health care provider

How to get help:

Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) energy assistance programs

OPPD administers three programs to help customers in its 13-county service area in Nebraska, which includes the counties of Douglas, Saunders, Washington, Burt, Dodge, Colfax, Sarpy, Cass, Otoe, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee, and Richardson:

  • OPPD Energy Efficiency Assistance Program (EEAP): Helps reduce energy bills through educating families on energy use and making energy-efficient upgrades from a grant of up to $2,000 
  • OPPD Energy Assistance Program (EAP): Offers financial assistance of up to $500 per year with utility bills to OPPD households experiencing financial hardship or emergencies
  • OPPD Customer Assistance Program Pilot (CAP): Provides a monthly credit on electric bills to help customers reduce payments to an affordable amount
  • OPPD payment plans: OPPD offers an installment payment program and a level payment program to help customers


Eligibility requirements are different for each program but you must be an OPPD customer.


  • Household income cannot exceed 200% of the federal poverty level
  • Homeowner in the OPPD service area or renter with written landlord/property owner’s permission to apply


  • Household income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
  • Provide proof of financial hardship or emergency


  • Must be current on OPPD bill and pay monthly
  • Household income at or below 100% of the federal poverty guidelines
  • Must report any change in household size or income within 10 business days

OPPD payment plans:

  • Any OPPD customer can sign up for a payment plan

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

WAP helps low-income families lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Types of assistance include:

  • Installing carbon monoxide detectors
  • Removing mold
  • Replacing inefficient or unsafe heating units 
  • Insulating a single family home for energy efficiency


  • U.S citizen or a qualified alien
  • Resident of state of Nebraska
  • Meet annual household income guidelines
  • Automatically eligible if you are receiving SSI, TANF or Aid to Families with Dependent Children benefits

How to get help:

Applications are not available online, so you have to visit your county’s Weatherization provider.

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Nebraska

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families:        

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Nebraska

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Nebraska by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Nebraska Medicaid

Medicaid provides medical coverage for low-income individuals and families. In Nebraska, benefits includes:

  • Managed Medical Assistance (MMA) – Covers medical services like doctor visits, hospital care, prescription drugs, mental health care, and transportation for medical needs
  • Long-term Care (LTC) – Covers care in a nursing facility, assisted living, or at home (must be at least 18 years old and require nursing home-level care or hospital-level care if you have cystic fibrosis)
  • Dental – Covers all dental services for children and adults

Here is a full list of covered services


  • Resident of Nebraska
  • U.S. national citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien

Plus, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Pregnant
  • Caretaker for a child 18 or younger
  • Member of the household has a disability, including blindness
  • 65 or older

How to get help:

Nebraska CHIP 

Nebraska CHIP — part of the national Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — offers health coverage for children under age 18. It provides the same services covered under Medicaid in Nebraska.

Most families pay nothing, and many pay as little as $15 or $20 a month for all children in the household. 

CHIP and Medicaid provide both health and dental services with a choice of local doctors, dentists, hospitals, and pharmacies. Benefits include:

  • Doctor visits
  • Surgeries
  • Vaccines
  • Vision and hearing 
  • Hospital stays


These are the current income guidelines for free and subsidized plans. 

How to get help:

Nebraska Early Dental Health Starter Kit

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) works with partners to distribute oral health kits in the community. The kits teach parents, guardians, and children about the proper way to care for teeth.


These oral health kits are available for all children and are distributed to birthing hospitals, Head Start programs, WIC centers, day cares, foster child sites, and other places that cater to children’s needs. 

How to get help:

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Nebraska

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Nebraska Food Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

A program called Double Up Food Bucks allows Nebraskans to use their EBT cards at participating stores and markets to get more fresh fruit and vegetables. Double Up matches fruit and vegetable purchases dollar for dollar, up to $20 a day.


  • Nebraska resident
  • Current bank balance (savings and checking combined) under $2,001 or under $3,001 and share your household with one of the following:
    • Person or persons age 60 and over
    • Person with a disability (child, spouse, parent, yourself

You must also have an annual household income below these amounts — $2,495 for a family of three

How to get help: 

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children is a nutrition program that provides free baby formula and nutritional food items to low-income mothers and their babies. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. 

An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. Schools with at least 80% of the students eligible for free or reduced-price meals must provide breakfast at no cost to all students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

  • Ask your school how to apply
  • Contact the Office of Nutrition Services at 402-471- 2488
  • Email [email protected] 

Nebraska’s Summer Food Service Program

The Nebraska Department of Education serves nutritious meals at no cost to children during summer break. Food is distributed at local schools, nonprofits, parks, and libraries. 


These are the current income guidelines for the Summer Food Service Program.

How to get help: 

Nebraska food banks

Food banks in Nebraska provide meals for individuals and families who are struggling to put food on the table. 


Each food bank sets its own eligibility and proof of need requirements. 

How to get help: 

To find a food bank near you and for additional information, visit the Food Bank for the Heartland website.

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Nebraska

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Nebraska:

Nebraska Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school.


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Contact your local Head Start or Early Head Start to apply.

Child Care Subsidy Program 

Nebraska’s Child Care Subsidy Program helps cover the cost of child care so a parent can work or attend a training or education program. The full cost of child care may be covered. Depending on their income, some families may owe a monthly fee that is paid directly to the child care provider.


  • Nebraska resident 
  • Children must be 12 or younger
    • Families may receive Child Care Subsidy for a child up to age 19 if the child requires care due to a special need
  • Parent must be working or attending school
  • Going to medical or therapy visits for self or child
  • Ill or hurt (must be confirmed by a doctor)

How to get help: 

Omaha Better Birth Project

This program provides free baby care items to Nebraska families experiencing hardship such as diapers, baby wipes, clothing, strollers, car seats, and bouncers.


  • Any family with children aged 5 or younger living in the Omaha metro area

How to get help:

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Nebraska

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Nebraska

If you are at least 18 years old in Nebraska, you can take the GED test. You may also be able to take the test at 16 or 17 with special permission and forms from the school district where you live. 

The Nebraska Department of Education provides adult education programs across the state. Through these programs, Nebraskans can get GED testing vouchers. 

The GED test is broken into four exams on different subjects, which can be spaced out and taken at your own pace (though each individual exam has a time limit): 

  • Mathematical reasoning – 115 minutes
  • Reasoning through language arts – 150 minutes
  • Social studies – 70 minutes
  • Science – 90 minutes

You have two options for taking the test in Nebraska: 

  • Online at-home test – $36 per subject
  • In person at a test center – $30 per subject

Grants and scholarships in Nebraska

The Nebraska Department of Education connects students and prospective students with grants and scholarships available in Nebraska.

Individual schools also offer need-based and academic scholarships for their students. If you’ve been accepted to a higher education institution, contact their office of financial aid to learn how to apply. 

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Nebraska

Workforce programs in Nebraska provide training and assist with employment:

Nebraska Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Insurance) Program

This program provides unemployment compensation to eligible Nebraska workers who are out of work through no fault of their own. The Reemployment Program also helps Nebraskans find job opportunities through one-on-one assistance. 

The maximum weekly benefit amount for 2023 is $514


  • Actively looking for another job
  • Must register at and have an online, searchable resume in NEworks

How to get help: 

American Job Centers

The American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Nebraska

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Nebraska that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Nebraska

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your local chapter. 

Catholic Charities of Nebraska

Catholic Charities assists with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance

There are three branches across Omaha:

  • St. Teresa of Calcutta Campus
    • 9223 Bedford Avenue Omaha, NE 68134
  • St. Martin de Porres Center
    • 2111 Emmet Street Omaha, NE 68110
  • St. Juan Diego Center
    • 5211 South 31st Street Omaha, NE 68107


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Nebraska

The United Way of Nebraska connects people in need with local resources like: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *