scroll top

Help for single moms in Georgia: 31 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Georgia struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Georgia

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)-Georgia

TANF provides a monthly cash allowance for qualifying low-income families with children under the age of 18 and children age 19 who are full-time high school students. 

The maximum amount paid out depends on household size: 

Family sizeMaximum benefit

Cash assistance is available for a lifetime total of 48 months for adults, though extensions may be granted in cases of domestic violence and physical/mental incapacity. 


  • Must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen
  • Have children under 18 or under 19 if a full-time student
  • Children must have experienced:
    • Continued absence from the home of at least one parent
    • Physical/mental incapacity of at least one parent
    • Death of a parent
  • Mother must apply for and accept other benefits such as:
    • Unemployment Compensation
    • Workman’s Compensation
    • Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI)
    • Child Support
  • Children and mother must have social security number
  • Children ages 6 to 17 who have not graduated high school or received equivalent certificate must attend school 
  • Preschool children must be immunized
  • Paternity of child must be established at application and when a child is added
  • Adult recipients are required to participate in work activities for at least 30 hours/week
  • You must cooperate with Office of Child Support Services
  • These are the current income limits based on family size: 
Family sizeMaximum income limit

How to get help:

Find a Department of Human Services office near you:


More emergency cash help in Georgia: 

Single moms in Georgia can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Georgia

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Georgia

There are multiple programs in Georgia to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Georgia Rental Assistance (GRA) 

While the overall GRA is no longer accepting new applicants, Cherokee County, Cobb County, and Henry County are still accepting applications.  


  • Renter qualifies for unemployment or has reduced household income, has significant costs, or experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19
  • Demonstrates risk of homelessness or housing instability
  • Has household income at or below 80% of AMI
  • Resident of county in which application is processed

How to get help: 

Contact your local ERA program and ask how to apply. Some counties may not offer rental assistance. 

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent.


  • Meet income limits specified by HUD-less than 50% of median income for the county in which you live. You can find your county’s income limits on the HUD website 
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible immigrant
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Georgia resident

How to get help: 

  • Contact your local public housing agency and ask how to apply for assistance
  • Preliminary applications are accepted through the DCA Applicant Portal
  • Call 888-858-6085
  • To apply you will need your social security number, income documentation, application form, and signed consent forms

Mortgage assistance in Georgia

If you need help with your mortgage in Georgia, these programs can help: 

Georgia Mortgage Assistance

The Georgia Mortgage Assistance was created to help those who suffered financial hardship caused by the pandemic. 

The following programs can be combined but cannot exceed $50,000 in assistance. Most homeowners will receive less than $50,000:

  • Mortgage reinstatement:
    • One-time payment to lender for payment due or in forbearance
    • At least 3 payments must be owed
  • Principal curtailment:
    • One-time payment to lender to reduce mortgage balance
    • Only considered for homeowners with permanent loss of income such as COVID-caused death or disability 
    • Additional 3 months of mortgage payments may be considered
  • Housing expense assistance:
    • Payments may be available to help delinquent non-escrowed property taxes, homeowner’s insurance, condo/HOA fees, utilities in conjunction with mortgage assistance
    • Assistance limited to amount owed on billing statement


  • Georgia resident 
  • Property must be in Georgia and purchased prior to pandemic
  • Significant loss of income or increase in expenses caused by pandemic:
    • Occurred after January 21, 2020
    • Documentation may be required (death certificate, disability award, receipt of unemployment benefits, paid invoices, etc.)
    • Hardships NOT considered: storm damage, car repair, non-pandemic medical expenses
  • Amounts over $50,000 or due prior to July 1st, 2019, are not eligible 
  • Mortgage lender must participate in program
  • Mortgage must have met conforming loan limits
  • Total household income equal to or less than 100% AMI OR equal to or less than 150% AMI for socially disadvantaged individual (people who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias in the U.S.)

How to get help: 

Georgia Dream Homeownership Program

The Georgia Dream Homeownership Program provides affordable financing options, down payment/closing cost assistance, and homebuyer education to Georgia residents. 


  • Must be a first-time homebuyer, have not owned a home in past 3 years, or purchased a home in certain area of Georgia
  • Household income lower than maximum household income (varies by area)
  • Liquid assets of $20,000 or less or 20% of sales prices (whichever is greater)
  • Meet mortgage loan credit requirements
  • Home sales price does not exceed county limit
  • Attend Housing Counseling classes
  • Minimum of $1,000 put toward home purchase

How to get help:

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless and special needs housing assistance in Georgia 

Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) Program 

Vouchers through the America Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) assist those who are: 

  • Homeless
  • At risk of homelessness
  • Attempting or fleeing domestic issues

This program does not provide immediate assistance. 

How to get help:

Emergency Solutions Grants and Continuum of Care Program

The Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) provide: 

  • Street outreach
  • Emergency shelter
  • Re-housing
  • Homelessness prevention
  • Other related services for those experiencing or at risk of becoming homeless

The Continuum of Care Program (CoC) helps rehouse homeless individuals.

How to get help:

Contact the CoC network that serves your area.

Other Homeless and Special Needs Housing Programs

  • The GHFA Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH):
    • The GHFA PSH provides permanent housing and services to homeless individuals who have a disability such as mental illness, AIDS, and/or chronic substance abuse
  • Home Access Program:
    • Promotes independence in persons with disabilities to reside in their own homes
    • Contact: [email protected]
  • Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA):
    • Offers a variety of solutions and support services for low-income persons living with HIV/AIDS
    • Contact: [email protected]
  • Reentry Partnership Housing Program:
    • Provides housing for up to 6 months to qualified individuals under parole or probation
    • Contact: [email protected]


How to get help:

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Georgia

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Georgia, check out the following programs:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) in Georgia

LIHEAP helps eligible households with their home heating and cooling bills through energy bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance, and long-term weatherization assistance. 


  • U.S. Citizen or legally admitted immigrant
  • Total gross annual household income at or below 60% of state median income
  • Responsible for paying cost of energy bills
  • Resident of Georgia

How to get help:

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

WAP helps qualifying households lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient, with an average of $350 per year in energy savings. Types of assistance may include:

  • Air and duct sealing
  • Wall, floor, attic insulation
  • Heating, ventilation, air conditioning system improvements
  • Lighting efficiency 
  • Hot water tank insulation
  • Water conservation devices

How to get help:

To apply for weatherization services, contact your local weatherization agency

Low-Income Household Water Assistance (LIHWAP) in Georgia

LIHWAP was created in response to COVID-19 and helps eligible households pay for drinking and waste water. Payments are applied directly to the water account and paid to the vendor. 


  • Receive water through public pipelines from participating vendor
  • Total gross income at or below 60% of state median income
  • Responsible for paying the water bill
  • U.S. Citizen or legal immigrant

How to get help:

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Georgia

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families in the state of Georgia:

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Georgia

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Georgia by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Georgia Medicaid

Medicaid is a medical assistance program that helps low-income families pay for some or all medical bills. 


  • Resident of Georgia
  • U.S. national citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien
  • You think you are pregnant
  • Breast or cervical cancer diagnosis
  • Child or teenager 18 or under
  • Over the age of 65
  • Blind or have disabilities
  • Need nursing home care
  • Leaving TANF and need coverage
  • Family with children under 19 and have very low or no income
  • If your income is higher than the limits but you have medical bills you owe
  • If a child is in foster care or adopted
  • Meet income requirements

How to get help:

  • Apply at your local DFCS office
  • Apply online 
  • If you think you are pregnant, contact 404-657-2700 to find out where to apply

PeachCare for Kids

PeachCare for Kids is Georgia's version of the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), which provides health insurance coverage for uninsured children in Georgia. 

Current coverage costs $11 to $36 per month for one child and $16 to a maximum of $72 for two or more children living in the same household. Co-pays may apply for select services.

There are no premiums or co-payments for: 

  • Children younger than 6
  • Children In foster care
  • American Indians and Alaskan Natives

Services covered include:

  • Sick visits
  • Preventative services
  • Specialist care
  • Dental care
  • Vision care-screenings and glasses
  • Hospitalization
  • Emergency room services
  • Prescription medications
  • Mental healthcare


  • Children age 18 and under who are U.S. Citizens or legal immigrants
  • Children must not have current coverage or be eligible for Medicaid 
  • Requires verification of income at application and annual renewal
  • Meet the income limits:
Family sizeMonthly income limitAnnual income limit
Each additional personAdd $1,058Add $5,140

How to get help:

RSM Group

P.O. Box 786 

Alma, GA 31510

Planning for Health Babies (P4HB)

  • Program to reduce the number of low birth weight births in Georgia
  • Provides no-cost family planning services to eligible Georgia residents
  • Covers:
    • Annual physical exams and pap smears
    • Birth control and multivitamins with folic acid
    • Family planning counseling
    • Primary care, dental visits, substance abuse treatments, mental health services
    • If you had a low birth weight baby you can receive primary/dental services


  • Women ages 18-44 who meet income limits
  • Do not receive Medicaid
  • Do not receive Medicaid or are losing coverage and delivered a baby weighing less than 3lbs 5oz you are eligible for IPC services

How to get help:

Division of Family and Children Services

Customer Contact Center

P.O. Box 4190

Albany, GA 31706

  • Call 877-427-3224 

Georgia Oral Health Program

The Georgia Oral Health Program is an initiative of the Georgia Department of Public Health that assists with preventative dental care for all Georgians. Payments at Georgia Oral Health clinics are based on a sliding scale based on your ability to pay. 

Clinics offer basic dental services like:  

  • Exams
  • Cleanings
  • Dental sealants
  • Fillings
  • Stainless steel crowns
  • Minor nerve treatments
  • Extractions


  • First priority treatments given to children who need emergency services
  • Eligible for Free and Reduced Meal Program (185% of FPL)

How to get help: 

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Georgia

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

The Georgia Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides food benefits and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 


  • Georgia resident
  • Current bank balance (savings and checking combined) under $2,001 or under $3,001 and share your household with one of the following:
    • Person or persons age 60 and over
    • Person with a disability (child, parent, yourself)

You must also have an annual household income below these amounts: 

Household sizeMonthly net incomeMonthly gross income
Each additional family memberAdd $394Add $512

How to get help: 

  • Apply online
  • Mail your completed application or apply in person at any DFCS office
  • Once your application is filed, a DFCS case manager will interview you

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) 

TEFAP funds food banks that serve low-income individuals in Georgia. 


Each food bank sets its own eligibility and proof of need requirements. 

How to get help: 

Visit the Feeding America website to find your local food bank. 

Georgia’s Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC serves mothers and babies across the United States with: 

  • Checks to buy healthy foods, baby formula, and baby food
  • Information about nutrition and health
  • Support and information about breastfeeding


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help:

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP)

NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price or free meals to children in school. An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

Seamless Summer Option (SSO)

Allows districts to offer meals to students during vacation periods and summer months. 


Children 18 or under OR older with a physical/mental disability who meet federal income guidelines (same chart as above)

How to get help:

How to get help:

  • Georgia schools will send an application home with every child at the beginning of the school year
  • You can apply any time during the year by submitting application directly to district

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Georgia

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Georgia:

Georgia Head Start and Early Head Start (GHSA)

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children ages 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Georgia’s Childcare and Parent Services (CAPS)

Georgia’s CAPS program provides child care to low income families so a parent can work or attend a training or education program.


  • Parent must be working or attending school
  • Georgia resident
  • Children must be 12 years of age or younger or 17 years or younger with qualifying needs
  • Children must be U.S. citizen or legal immigrant
  • Immunization verification required for children who do not receive TANF, do not attend school, and do not attend a licensed child care provider
  • Parent must prove identity through federal/state ID, Social Security award letter, voter registration card
  • Meet household income limits

How to get help: 

  • Apply online
  • Call 833-442-2277

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Georgia

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Georgia

If you are at least 18 years old in Georgia, you can take the GED test. You may also be able to take the test at 16 or 17 with special permission from the Office of Adult Education in Georgia.  

The GED test is broken into four exams on different subjects, which can be spaced out and taken at your own pace (though each individual exam has a time limit): 

  • Mathematical reasoning: 115 minutes
  • Reasoning through language arts: 150 minutes
  • Social studies: 70 minutes
  • Science: 90 minutes

You have two options for taking the test in Georgia: 

  • Online at-home test: $40.00 per module
  • In person at a test center: $46 per subject

Grants and scholarships in Georgia

The Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) increases access to higher education through various scholarships and loan programs, which each have their own eligibility requirements.

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Georgia

Workforce programs in Georgia provide training and assist with employment:

Unemployment Insurance

This program provides temporary unemployment compensation to eligible Georgia workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Georgia resident
  • Unemployed through no fault of your own
  • Previously employed for the first four quarters of the last five calendar quarters
  • Able to work, available to work, actively seeking work 

How to get help: 

American Job Centers

The American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Georgia

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Georgia that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Georgia

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. Visit Georgia’s branch to find out more information. 

How to get help: 

Visit Georgia’s Salvation Army website to find out more information. 

Catholic Charities of Georgia

Catholic Charities assists with:

  • Housing
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Health care assistance


Each Catholic Charities branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

United Way of Georgia

The United Way of Georgia connects people in need with local resources like: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *