scroll top

Help for single moms in Delaware

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Delaware struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

We also put together resources specifically for:

Statistically, families benefit most with cash assistance (vs through benefits programs).1 Here is our guide to single mom grant programs, including our own.

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Delaware

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in Delaware

Delaware’s TANF program provides cash assistance for qualifying families with children. The amount paid out varies depending on your family’s size, household income, and if you receive other forms of cash assistance. Cash assistance is available for a lifetime total of 36 months for adults and children.

Delaware’s monthly TANF payments are $338/month for a family of three who makes less than $2,664/month. See all payout and income amounts

To determine an applicant's net income, Delaware also subtracts $90 for work-related expenses, up to $200 for child care, and the first $50 of child support.  


  • U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen
  • Delaware resident
  • Have children under 18
  • Raising children under 18 who are blood relatives 
  • 18-year-old high school students who will graduate before turning 19
  • Pregnant women in ninth month of pregnancy
  • Household income must meet set income limits for family size
  • Must attend parenting classes
  • Must participate in work activities for 30 hours per week
  • Must attend school hours and work hours for 20 hours per week (if also in school)
  • Children must attend school and be up to date with immunizations

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Delaware: 

Single moms in Delaware can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Delaware

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Delaware

There are multiple programs in Delaware to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Delaware Housing Assisting Program (DEHAP)

DEHAP is an initiative of the Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) that helps low-income renters in four ways:

  • Rental assistance
  • Utilities assistance
  • Security deposits
  • First month’s rent for new rental units


  • Qualify for unemployment or currently experiencing a reduced income, significant costs, or other financial hardship related to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • At risk of homelessness or housing instability from past-due utilities, rent notice, eviction notice, or housing costs (if rent is more than 30% of your monthly income)
  • Income is at or below 50% of AMI for your county

How to get help: 

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers affordable housing and vouchers to help low-income households pay their rent.


Vouchers and housing are based on household income and family size. You can find your county’s income limits on the HUD website

How to get help: 

Mortgage assistance in Delaware 

If you need help paying your mortgage or buying a home in Delaware, these programs can help: 

Delaware Mortgage Relief Program 

The Delaware Mortgage Relief Program offers up to $50,000 in assistance to help homeowners at risk of losing their homes. This one-time payment can go toward past-due: 

  • Mortgage payments 
  • Property taxes
  • Chattel loan payments
  • Due land lease payments
  • Water and sewer bills
  • Homeowner’s association or condominium association fees
  • Homeowner’s insurance 

Program funds can be applied to mortgage loans to help lower or alter future mortgage payments with a principal curtailment, rate reduction, or other modification that helps make payments more affordable. 

The Delaware Mortgage Relief Program makes payments directly to the mortgage lender or other vendor, and it does not pay for home repairs or electric bills.


  • At risk of displacement from past-due mortgage payments or other property charges
  • Own and occupy the property as primary residence
  • Experienced a COVID-19 pandemic-related financial hardship after January 21, 2020
  • Household income is at or below 150% of the AMI or 100% of the U.S. median income                             

How to get help: 

Delaware State Housing Authority Homeownership Loan Program

DSHA offers a home buyer program with 30-year fixed rate mortgage loans to low- and moderate-income Delaware residents. These loans can be offered as FHA, VA, USDA, and conventional loans.


  • Credit score of at least 620
  • Must attend housing counseling if your credit score is at or below 659 
  • Requested loan amount is at or below $417,000 

Household income must also be at or below the following county limits:

County1-2 People3 or More People
New Castle $126,480$158,100
Kent & Sussex$116,280$145,350

How to get help: 

Delaware down payment assistance 

DSHA’s Preferred Plus program helps with down payment and closing costs in the form of a no-interest second mortgage loan. The loan can equal 2-5% of your overall mortgage loan amount and must be paid after you sell, transfer, or refinance your home (or if the home is no longer your primary residence).


These loans are not available as standalone assistance and must be combined with a DSHA Homeownership Loan as your first mortgage. To qualify, you must meet the same requirements outlined above for the Homeownership Loan program. 

How to get help: 

Delaware First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit

Delaware offers first-time homebuyers a tax credit that helps lower their federal income tax liability. Those who qualify can claim 35% of the annual interest paid on their mortgage (or up to $2,000 a year) as a special federal tax credit.


  • Home is your primary residence and located in Delaware
  • Have not owned a home in the past three years* 
  • Household income must not exceed program limits (same as loan program above)
  • Home purchase price must not exceed program limit of ​​$417,000
  • Must complete tax credit documents at closing
  • Must use a DSHA lender for your mortgage loan

*Those who are not purchasing their first home may still be eligible if they purchase a home in a target area or use the Qualified Veteran Exemption. 

How to get help: 

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless assistance in Delaware

Office of Community Services

Run by the Division of State Service Centers, the Office of Community Services funds local nonprofit organizations that provide emergency or transitional housing to help those at risk of homelessness. The office also helps homeless Delaware residents find housing. 


Requirements are set by individual State Service Centers.

How to get help: 

More housing help: 

Transportation help for low-income families in Delaware

If you need free or low-cost transportation, here are some resources available to low-income families in Delaware:

Free or discounted rides in Delaware

Here are resources for free or discounted rides:

DART First State

DART offers multiple options to save money on transportation throughout the state, from fixed route bus service to paratransit (door-to-door) service. 

Here are some free and discounted options for riders:

  • Free fares: Up to two children with a height of 46 inches and under ride free with a fare-paying adult and visually impaired riders with a DVI photo card ride free
  • Discounted fares: Seniors 65 and over, Medicare card holders, and disabled persons are eligible for reduced fares
  • Job Works!: A free ride to and from a scheduled job interview arranged through an agency that helps with job placement
  • Senior Citizens Affordable Taxi (SCAT): A 50% discount on a cab ride ticket book is available to persons 65 and over or any person with a physical or mental disability that prevents them from driving


  • Each program has its own requirements, contact DART for more information

How to get help:

  • Call 800-652-3278

Get a Job/Get a Ride

The Get a Job/Get a Ride (GaJ/GaR) program provides new employees with a free 30-day pass to ride the Delaware Administration for Regional Transit (DART) bus. Your employer must participate in the program for you to receive the benefit. This is a one-time bus pass.


  • Work 20 hours each week or more

How to get help:

  • Check with your employer

Commuter resources in Delaware

If you commute to work or school, here is a helpful resource to check out:

Delaware Commute Solutions

Delaware Commute Solutions is a free commuter services program that helps you plan your transportation. You can earn points to redeem rewards when you use commuting options such as carpooling, biking, walking, teleworking, and public transit.


  • Live, work or attend college in Delaware

How to get help:

Nonemergency medical transportation (NEMT) in Delaware

If you need NEMT in Delaware, check out the following:

Medicaid NEMT

If you have full Medicaid benefits or are a Delaware Healthy Children program client, you can get nonemergency medical transportation to a covered service or appointment through Modivcare.


  • Medicaid or Delaware Healthy Children recipient

How to get help:

  • Call 866-412-3778

Free cars in Delaware

This charity offers free cars to qualified applicants in Delaware:

Free Charity Cars 

Free Charity Cars awards free vehicles to selected applicants in all 50 states. The nonprofit charity group has been awarding free vehicles to low-income American families since 1996 and has gifted more than 9,000 cars. The charity group notes that they do not have an inventory of vehicles readily available as they award cars as soon as they get them, so there can be extensive waiting periods for those selected for the free car program. 


  • Be a resident of the U.S.
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Have a valid driver’s license
  • Be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
  • Have a genuine need for a vehicle 
  • Have access to a Computer and Internet Service
  • Sign up for an online account 
  • Complete an online application for a vehicle
  • Have the financial means to pay for the fees, including the tag, title, emissions, insurance, etc.,
  • Take financial responsibility for maintaining insurance and upkeep on the vehicle if awarded 

How to get help:

If you're ready to buy a car, but you have low or no credit, Auto Loan Express is a quality lender:

  • Better Business Bureau rating of A+
  • In business since 1999
  • For new or used cars
  • Auto loans and refi for buyers who have low or no credit, or who have gone through bankruptcy or had a vehicle repossessed
  • Pre-approval within 30 seconds

24 hours to a car loan with Auto Loan Express >>

Electric bill assistance in Delaware

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Delaware, check out the following programs:

Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP) 

DEAP is a federally funded program under the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) that helps qualifying households cover energy bills. Delaware’s program is run by the Division of State Service Centers, which contracts with Catholic Charities to offer three main forms of assistance:

Fuel assistance

This grant helps homeowners and renters pay for heat from Oct. 1 to March 31. Applicable sources of heat include electricity, natural gas, oil, kerosene, propane, coal, or wood.

Crisis assistance

This supplemental grant helps households facing a shut-off notice pay for heating bills or pay for fuel if they are out or can’t pay for more fuel. These funds are also offered in the winter.

Summer Cooling Assistance Program (SCAP)

This grant helps pay summer electricity bills so Delaware residents have reliable air conditioning. Some households may also qualify for a room-sized air conditioner. 


  • Income is at or below 200% of FPL
  • Resident of Delaware
  • U.S. Citizen, qualified non-citizen, or permanent resident of the U.S.

How to get help:

Call your local Catholic Charities office and ask how to apply for DEAP:

  • Kent County: 302-674-1782
  • New Castle County: 302- 654-9295
  • Sussex County: 302-856-6310

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Delaware’s WAP helps low-income families lower their monthly energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Types of assistance include:

  • Air sealing, caulking, glazing, weather-stripping, and crack patching
  • Replacing broken glass
  • Insulating walls, floors, and attic
  • Ventilating
  • Sealing heating and cooling ducts
  • Insulating hot water heaters
  • Insulating hot and cold water pipes
  • Providing energy efficient light bulbs

Homeowners also receive educational materials about how to conserve energy and lower fuel costs. A heating system maintenance check may also be available, and those who qualify for WAP may apply for the Low- to Moderate-Income Solar Program for free or reduced-cost solar power.


How to get help:

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Delaware

The following medical and dental services are available to qualifying individuals and families:       

Delaware Oral Health Program

The Bureau of Oral Health and Dental Services offers free or low-cost dental coverage to Delaware residents. Individuals and families must qualify for Delaware’s Medicaid or Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP) — Delaware’s CHIP — to receive dental coverage. 

Children's dental services are covered under Delaware Medicaid or DHCP. Adults 21 and older are offered two dental options under Medicaid: 

Both programs include a $3 copay for dental services and a maximum benefit limit of $1,000 per calendar year. Another $1,500 is available for authorized emergency dental care.


  • Must meet income limits and qualify for Delaware’s Medicaid or DHCP program
  • Children who are under 21 are eligible for dental coverage through Medicaid
  • Children who are 18 or younger can receive dental coverage under the Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP)

How to get help: 

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Delaware

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, funds health centers that provide free or subsidized health and dental care to low-income people and those otherwise unable to access quality health care, like people living in rural areas.

HRSA also offers a 24/7 free and confidential mental health hotline for pregnant and new moms. Dial 833-943-5746 (833-9-HELP4MOMS) if you are struggling.


Each health center sets its own eligibility criteria for free or reduced-cost care. 

How to get help:

Find an HRSA health center in Delaware by typing in your address on HRSA’s search tool.

Delaware Medicaid

Medicaid provides medical coverage for low-income individuals and families. In Delaware, most Medicaid recipients are enrolled in a Diamond State Health Plan, which can include coverage for:

  • Doctor visits
  • Hospital care 
  • Labs
  • Prescription medications
  • Transportation to medical services
  • Routine shots for children
  • Mental health and substance abuse services


  • Resident of Delaware
  • U.S. national citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien
  • Meet income limits:
    • Household income is at or below 100% of FPL
    • Children who are 1 or under 6 with a household income at or below 133% of FPL
    • Pregnant women and babies under one with a household income at or below 200% of FPL

How to get help:

Apply for coverage on the Delaware ASSIST website.

Delaware Healthy Children Program

The Delaware Healthy Children Program — part of the national Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — offers low-cost health insurance for uninsured children. 

Depending on your income, household premium payments range from $10-$25 per month. The program also incentivizes early payments, and for every three months you pay in advance, the fourth month is free. ‘

Prescriptions are 100% covered, and there are no co-payments for medical services — with the exception of non-emergency hospital emergency room visits.

The Delaware Healthy Children Program provides health services with a choice of local doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies. Benefits include:

  • Doctor visits
  • Surgeries
  • Vaccines
  • Vision, speech, and hearing 
  • Prescription medication
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospital stays

The program also checks all applicants for Medicaid eligibility, so your child may qualify for Delaware Medicaid instead depending on their age, your household income, and household size.


  • Children do not have comprehensive health insurance
  • Under the age of 19 
  • Resident of Delaware
  • U.S. citizen or qualified noncitizen
  • Not a dependent of a State of Delaware employee 
  • Household income is at or below 200% of FPL

How to get help: 

Delaware Smart Start

Smart Start provides in-home education and prenatal services to pregnant women who are eligible for Medicaid.

Education services cover:

  • Prenatal care
  • Parenting 
  • Pregnancy and delivery
  • Prenatal nutrition
  • Local resources and assistance for housing, utilities, transportation, and child care


Pregnant women who qualify for Medicaid are eligible for Delaware’s Start Smart services.

How to get help: 

Contact your local Maternal Child Referrals Intake for more information.

Health Care Connection

The Health Care Connection helps uninsured Delawareans get access to primary care and preventative medical treatment. Health services are provided by community health centers and participating doctors who care for HCC patients. Medical care is discounted based on income.


  • Delaware resident
  • Uninsured
  • Not eligible for Medicaid
  • Exempt or ineligible for the Healthcare Marketplace

How to get help:

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Delaware

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Delaware Food Assistance Program (SNAP)

USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Food Stamp program) provides money for food and nutrition education to low-income households. 

SNAP recipients are issued an EBT card that can be used like an ATM card to purchase food in retail food stores, including:

  • Breads
  • Cereals
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meats
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Dairy
  • Plants and seeds to grow food 

Delaware also has a SNAP Online Purchasing Program where you can buy groceries online. 


  • Delaware resident
  • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • You must also have an annual household income at or below $3,840/month for a family of three

How to get help: 

Apply for benefits on the Delaware ASSIST website.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children is a nutrition program that provides free baby formula and nutritional food items to low-income mothers and their babies. 


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

Call your local State Service Center and say you want to apply for WIC. 

Delaware’s School Nutrition Program (SNP)

SNP is Delaware's program that administers the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). NSLP serves healthy, well-balanced, reduced-price, or free meals to children in public schools, non-profit private schools, and residential child care centers.

An extension of the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program provides free or low-cost breakfast to eligible students. 


Household income must fall at or below the limits of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

How to get help: 

Contact your child’s school to enroll. 

Delaware’s Summer Food Service Program

The Summer Food Service Program serves nutritious meals at no cost to children during summer break. Food is distributed at approved SFSP sites, like local schools and libraries, in areas with a large number of low-income children.


You must meet the same household income limits as the SNP to qualify for the Summer Food Service Program.

How to get help: 

Find a location near you at the USDA Summer Food Service Program website.

Delaware food banks

Food banks in Delaware provide meals for individuals and families who are struggling to put food on the table. 


Each food bank sets its own eligibility and proof of need requirements. 

How to get help: 

To find a food bank near you and for additional information, visit the Food Bank of Delaware website.

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Delaware

There are multiple federally funded education programs and resources in Delaware:

Delaware Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start is a free federal preschool program for children aged 3 to 5 from low-income families. Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children under age 3. The programs focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development and prepare children for school. 


  • Children from birth to 5 
  • Meet federal poverty guidelines 
  • Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF, SSI, etc.) are eligible regardless of income
  • Some programs accept kids with incomes above the Poverty Guidelines
  • Pregnant women can also receive prenatal and postpartum information, education, and services through Early Head Start

How to apply: 

Early Childhood Assistance Program (ECAP)

Delaware’s ECAP is a state-funded program that helps low-income families find affordable child care for preschool-age children and children with disabilities (without income restrictions). 


  • Household income is at or below FPL
  • Children are in foster care
  • Children are experiencing homelessness
  • Children have documented delays or disabilities 
  • Children 3 to 4 years old

Families with preschool-aged children who already qualify for TANF are also eligible for ECAP. 

How to get help: 

Contact your local ECAP program for more information. 

Delaware Child Care Subsidy

Delaware’s Purchase of Care program provides financial assistance to families who need help paying for child care.


  • Income at or below 200% of the FPL
  • Need child care to be able to work or tend to health conditions

How to get help:

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Delaware

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Delaware

If you are at least 18 years old in Delaware, you can take the GED test. You may also be able to take the test at 16 or 17 with special permission from the Delaware Department of Education.

The GED test is broken into four exams on different subjects, which can be spaced out and taken at your own pace (though each individual exam has a time limit): 

  • Mathematical reasoning – 115 minutes
  • Reasoning through language arts – 150 minutes
  • Social studies – 70 minutes
  • Science – 90 minutes

You have two options for taking the test in Delaware: 

  • Online at-home test – $36 per subject
  • In person at a test center – $30 per subject

Leading Youth Through Empowerment (LYTE)

LYTE offers programs that empower and prepare low-income middle school and high school students in underserved Wilmington neighborhoods to graduate and pursue college. LYTE Scholars begin working with mentors the summer before eighth grade and attend the best schools in the state, through scholarships and financial aid as needed.


  • Delaware resident
  • Income at or below 185% of the FPL

How to get help:

Grants and scholarships in Delaware

Delaware Higher Education Office Scholarships

The Delaware Higher Education Office (DHEO) connects students and prospective students with grants and scholarships available in Delaware. To find out which scholarships and grants you may be eligible for, create a student profile on the DHEO website

Individual schools also offer need-based and academic scholarships for their students. If you’ve been accepted to a higher education institution, contact their office of financial aid to learn how to apply. 

Scholarship Incentive Program (ScIP) 

Single moms going back to school may qualify for ScIP, a $1,000 need-based grant awarded to Delaware students who need help paying for college.

To determine eligibility, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The grant is also nonrenewable, and you must complete a new FAFSA every year to be considered for additional ScIP grants (with a limit of 5 years). 


  • Delaware resident
  • File the 2023-2024 FAFSA by May 15, 2023 
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Enroll fulltime in an undergraduate degree program at an accredited Delaware institution* 

*You may also be eligible for ScIP if you enroll fulltime in an out-of-state graduate or undergraduate program, as long as the degree program you choose is not offered at the University of Delaware, Delaware State University, or Delaware Technical Community College.

How to get help: 

Apply online after creating a student profile on the DHEO website

SEED Scholarship

The SEED scholarship gives Delaware residents tuition-free access to obtain an academic degree at Delaware Technical Community College (DTCC) or the University of Delaware (UD). This scholarship can go toward the pursuit of an associate degree and partially toward a bachelor degree. For applicants 25 and over, there is a five-year residency requirement.


  • Resident of Delaware
  • Graduate of a Delaware high school
  • Must complete the FAFSA
  • Minimum 2.5 GPA

How to get help:

  • Call DTCC at 302-857-1000
  • Call UD at 302-831-2792

Inspire Scholarship

Inspire is a four-year tuition-free scholarship to attend Delaware State University to complete an academic degree program. You must be a high school graduate ready to enroll in the fall after graduation. 


  • High school graduate from a Delaware school
  • Complete a FAFSA
  • Enrolled at Delaware State University
  • Minimum 2.75 GPA

How to get help:

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Delaware

Workforce programs in Delaware provide training and assist with employment:

Delaware Unemployment Insurance

This program provides unemployment compensation to eligible Delaware workers who are out of work through no fault of their own.


  • Delaware resident 
  • Unemployed
  • Earned a minimum amount of wages
  • Actively looking for another job

How to get help: 

American Job Centers

American Job Centers offer employment and training services, career counseling, and job search assistance. 

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Delaware

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Delaware that offer support to single moms:

The Salvation Army of Delaware

The Salvation Army wears many hats. Chapters assist with:

  • Food, shelter and clothing
  • Medication costs
  • Education and job training
  • Christmas presents
  • Rent and utility bills
  • Substance abuse rehabilitation
  • Youth services
  • Emergency disaster response


Each Salvation Army branch determines its own eligibility criteria for different programs. 

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your local chapter. 

Catholic Charities of Delaware

Catholic Charities of Delaware assists with:

  • Rent and Mortgage assistance
  • Utility assistance
  • Food assistance
  • Budget counseling
  • Job readiness

All three counties in Delaware have a Catholic Charities office.


You must provide documentation that shows you need help paying basic expenses like rent, energy costs, or food. Applicants also have to complete a personal interview and a financial assessment with Catholic Charities.

How to get help: 

Lutheran Community Services

LCS helps connect low-income residents of New Castle County and Wilmington with food, housing, financial, and health care assistance.


Must be a resident of New Castle County or Wilmington. Other criteria depend on the specific program or service.

How to get help: 

West End Neighborhood House

West End Neighborhood House assists Delaware residents with programs and services including:

  • Employment and entrepreneurship training
  • Youth employment programs
  • Before and after school care
  • Emergency services
  • Financial management and cochin service
  • Loan programs 
  • Transitional and permanent housing


Eligibility criteria varies on the specific program.

How to get help: 

Visit the West End Neighborhood House website or call 302-658-4171.

United Way of Delaware

The United Way of Delaware connects people in need with local resources like: 

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Child care services
  • Housing
  • Health care
  • Support groups

How to get help: 

Help for single moms in Wilmington, Delaware

The following resources serve residents of Wilmington, Del.:

Housing help in Wilmington

Check out these housing resource available in Wilmington, Del.:

Wilmington First Start Homebuyer Program

The First Start Homebuyer Program offers up to $15,000 or 6% of the home price to help first-time homebuyers purchase a home in Wilmington. The funds may be used for a down payment or closing costs. Home buyers must be able to contribute at least $1,000 and secure a 30-year (or less) fixed-rate mortgage with no origination points or fees.


  • U.S. citizen or legal resident
  • Single parent, displaced homeowner, or have not owned a home in the last three years
  • Income eligibility is 80-100% of AMI (or less)
  • Property must be in the City of Wilmington
  • Home will be owner’s primary residence

How to get help:

  • Call 311 in Wilmington or 302-576-2620 (outside of Wilmington)

Transportation help in Wilmington

If you want a bicycle to get around Wilmington, this organization offers help:

Urban Bike Project of Wilmington, Inc.

The Urban Bike Project provides refurbished bicycles to adults who want them as a mode of transportation and recreation. The program may also be able to provide:

  • Helmets
  • Bike locks
  • Lights
  • Fenders
  • Racks


  • Must live in the Wilmington area (City of Wilmington residents get top priority)
  • Must be referred by a social services provider
  • Income at or below 167% of the FPL

How to get help:

Electric bill assistance in Wilmington

If you need help with paying your utility bill in Wilmington, here is a good option:

Wilmington Utility Payment Assistance Program

The Utility Payment Assistance Program provides up to $1,500 to pay past due water/sewer bills for eligible households.


  • Lives in Wilmington
  • 18 and over
  • Owner of property or renting and responsible for utility bill
  • City of Wilmington utility account is three or more months late
  • Income at or below 200% of the FPL based on household size for the last 30 days
  • Must agree to get on a monthly payment plan if a balance remains after you receive assistance

How to get help:

  • Apply online
  • Call 311 within Wilmington city limits
  • Call 302-576-2620 outside of Wilmington

Medical and dental care help in Wilmington

This center offers dental care at a reduced cost in Wilmington:

DTCC Dental Health Center Financial Assistance

Delaware Technical Community College in Wilmington runs a Dental Health Center, staffed by dental hygiene students and dentists. Dental services are offered while school is in session. The center offers basic dental care such as exams, cleanings, and fillings but also more complex procedures such as root canals and fitting patients for full or partial dentures. Eligible patients can get many of these services at a reduced cost through the school’s financial assistance program.


  • Anyone is eligible to get a cleaning at a 50% discount and an initial oral exam, but further treatment requires proof of financial need based on all sources of income and government assistance

How to get help:

  • Call 302-571-5364


  1. “The Long-Term Impacts of Cash Assistance to Families,” by Kevin Werner, The Urban Institute, Jan. 31, 2024

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *