Filing your own divorce papers online or in your local courthouse will save you thousands of dollars, untold stress, and drama.
Since the paperwork can be overwhelming, some opt to use online divorce paper services to get printable divorce papers, and sometimes have a mediator or attorney look over the papers to make sure they are accurate.
Best online divorce service: 3StepDivorce
Here is how we chose 3StepDivorce.com for the best of the online divorce services:
- Valid company. Need to be around for many years, have a high ranking with the Better Business Bureau and other rating agencies, and have direct communication with them ourselves.
- Good value. Our recommendations may not be the least expensive for a cheap online divorce, but they are a fair price and offer high quality, including guarantees that your papers will be accepted in your local courts.
- Strong customer service. Does the company quickly answer your questions? Is their advice thorough and friendly? Do they have a strong return policy? Do their customer reviews on TrustPilot and BBB reflect positively, and do they engage with complaints on those platforms in a professional way?
3 Step Divorce stands out because:
- A+ BBB rating and 4.2 / 5 star rating with Trustpilot
- 100% guarantee your papers will be accepted by your local court
- Outstanding online and live phone customer service
- Divorce papers for all 50 states
- Download your divorce papers PDF immediately (other companies require a wait of several days)
- Get started for $84 >>
- Money-back guarantee
- Established in 1997!
Get details from 3StepDivorce.com on how to file for divorce online in your state:
Other online divorce services to consider:
- CompleteCase is a very similar product to 3 Step Divorce, though their online reviews are a bit poorer, and they do not offer a payment plan.
- LegalZoom, which we think is best for those who already use this legal document repository for other forms, and are comfortable with the format (though the price for their divorce papers service is much higher than 3StepDivorce).
- Rocket Lawyer, which we think is best for those who need just a few divorce papers to DIY a cheap online divorce, or related documents.
3 Step Divorce: Online divorce service review
3 Step Divorce bills itself as the original online divorce service and their aim is to make divorce as simple, quick and inexpensive as possible for both parties.
Reviews of 3StepDivorce.com
How does 3 Step Divorce work?
The 3 Step Divorce process is as easy as it sounds.
- Go to 3stepdivorce.com, and answer a few questions online about your assets, property, debt, children under 18, and other basics. Those are auto-filled into documents specific to your state of residence.
- Create your account, and choose if you prefer to print your complete divorce documents via PDF or have them securely mailed to you for free.
- Sign, notarize and file your divorce.
3 Step Divorce says many of its customers actually complete the online portion of the divorce process in under an hour. Of course, you’ll need to head to the courthouse to file the documents yourself, but the 3 Step Divorce method is much faster than the alternative.
3 Step Divorce costs:
3 Step Divorce costs $299, which you can break down into a payment plan:
- 4 monthly payments of $84
- 3 monthly payments of $109
- 2 monthly payments of $157
Get a $50 cash rebate if you file your divorce papers within one business day of starting the process.
Is 3 Step Divorce legit?
While 3 Step Divorce’s new parent company (as of 2021), is Internet Brands, which owns Nolo, which has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. They’ve also been mentioned in Forbes, CNN, USA Today, and NPR. They’ve helped file more than 750,000 divorces online, and was started in 1997.
3StepDivorce takes their security and client protection very seriously, which is why they use Verisign data and payment encryption software. 3 Step Divorce’s site is locked down with McAfee Virus Protection and Norton Antivirus as well.
- The 3 Step Divorce program is self-paced, so couples can take as long as they need. Your information will be saved as you go, so you can work at your own pace, and revise as needed.
- You can pay for the service in installments without halting your progress.
- Download immediately your divorce papers PDF.
- 24/7 online and live phone support.
- Price includes 100% of all services and papers required, while other companies will charge extra for storage or additional documents.
- Very good reviews for customer experience. A+ BBB rating and 4.3 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- With the one-day $50 cash rebate and payment plans, 3 Step Divorce is the most affordable online divorce papers product.
- The site is a bit outdated.
- You’ll still have to file the paperwork yourself — which is true for most all online divorce programs.
Final word on 3 Step Divorce
If you don’t need much hand-holding during the process, this service has everything you’ll need. Get started with 3 Step Divorce now and get your $50 cash rebate >>
More reviews of online divorce services
There are many other online divorce paper service providers. Most have horrible online reviews from both customers and accrediting sites like Better Business Bureau. The technology, ease of site use, fee and customer service all play a role in our selection of best online divorce paper companies.
Here is what you need to know about some of the larger companies:
CompleteCase: Online divorce service review
Bob Butterworth co-founded the online divorce service CompleteCase.com in 2000 and became CEO in February 2014. CompleteCase was acquired by Birmhimham, Ala., based private equity firm Featheringill Capital.
CompleteCase has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2013, and has an A- rating with a composite score of 4.3 out of 5 stars as of 2021:
CompleteCase has a 3 out of 5-star review on Trustpilot, based on 241 reviews:
Complete Case has been covered by well-known news programs including Good Morning America and the Today Show, and it’s been featured in USAToday, Time magazine and the L.A. Times. The company promises complete anonymity and privacy through McAfee, a secure site verified by GoDaddy.com, and secure encryption of documents through Verisign.
How to start an online divorce with CompleteCase
The first step is to answer a series of questions in an online questionnaire.
Once the question portion is done, CompleteCase uses your responses to fill out the state-specific documents you’ll need to make your divorce official. The last step is to print out the documents and submit them at your local courthouse. The service is exclusively for amicable cases, a.k.a. amicable divorces, so if there are disputes around child support, spousal support, custody, or shared assets, though a lawyer is likely needed as well.
The basic CompleteCase package costs $299, but that does not take into consideration any court fees you may be responsible for during the divorce process. It only guarantees one month of the service for this price.
- The process is simple and straightforward.
- Information for filing in your local courthouse straight-forward.
- CompleteCase, like many other DIY divorce services, does not offer legal advice. If you need legal help, you’ll need to seek representation elsewhere.
- You get one month to complete the process, or else you’ll have to extend the service and pay more.
- You must wait a few days before you can download your divorce papers PDF.
Final word on CompleteCase
CompleteCase is a solid option in the DIY divorce space, and stands above the rest with its option to file papers on your behalf. Read our CompleteCase review here.
Divorce Forms Filler: Online divorce service review
Divorcefiller.com is similar to its competitors, except it promises to fill out and file the forms for you, which you can then download in PDF form and file locally. The company has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Divorce Forms Filler, at Divorcefiller.com, works similarly to 3StepDivorce.com, promising to provide all your divorce documents for your state’s divorce process in one place.
Divorce Forms Filler costs $139, with a money-back guarantee.
Divorce Forms Filler pros
Advantages of Divorce Forms Filler is that it is inexpensive, with a money-back guarantee with 100% court-approval promised.
Divorce Forms Filler cons
Disadvantages of Divorce Forms Filler is that it has poor reviews, though they do seem to be making an effort and promote 2,670 5-star reviews on its site. Suspicious.
Divorce Forms Filler vs. 3 Step Divorce
Go with 3 Step Divorce or another, more reputable competitor.
Divorce Writer: Online divorce service review
Another solid online divorce paper option is DivorceWriter. This is a service that cuts out the lawyer — not necessarily a bad thing if you want to want to save money and aren’t at odds with each other — to condense a non-contested divorce into a few easy questions, forms and a trip to the courthouse to make things official.
According to DivorceWriter.com, their service is ideal for couples who have already agreed on how to divide their property as well as how any children will be raised.
DivorceWriter.com says their stats show that 49% of petitioners and 90% of respondents represent themselves in divorce. DivorceWriter.com also claims that, since its inception in 2005, it has grown to become the largest divorce website in the United States.
It is also the only online divorce business with an A+ accreditation from the BBB as well as one of the lowest cost providers as of 2021.
DivorceWriter.com charges the same package price for divorce whether you have children or not —$137.
Once you sign up for the program and get started, you will receive all the forms and instructions you need to download divorce papers PDFs and file for divorce on your own — provided your divorce is amicable and you and your spouse have agreed on all terms.
The company not only has good ratings, but it has plenty of reviews. Users who have filed for divorce via the website’s tools have called it “less stressful,” “organized,” and “painless.”
Unfortunately, DivorceWriter.com isn’t available everywhere. While this service is available to settle uncontested divorces in most states and the District of Columbia, it is currently unavailable in Missouri.
Pros of DivorceWriter.com
- File for divorce online and from the comfort of your own home. You don’t have to visit a stuffy lawyer’s office or pay for professional help.
- It’s only $137. You will pay significantly less to file for divorce online — perhaps even thousands of dollars less.
- DivorceWriter.com has great reviews. They also have the industry’s only A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and 4.4 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Your printable divorce paperwork is tailored to be appropriate for the state you live in, meaning you’ll file the exact forms you need.
- You get a 100% money-back guarantee if the court will not accept your divorce paperwork for any reason.
Cons of DivorceWriter.com
- You won’t receive professional counsel or advice. If the terms of your uncontested divorce aren’t as good as they can be, you won’t have professional guidance to help you renegotiate.
- While DivorceWriter.com has a process that’s easy enough for anyone to complete, you’re still doing it on your own and without the assistance of a divorce lawyer.
- The fee you’ll pay for this company’s services doesn’t include court filing fees. Make sure to call your local court office to find out about other fees you may be responsible for.
The bottom line on DivorceWriter
If you want to file divorce with less headache and fewer bills, you should definitely consider using a service like DivorceWriter.com.
This company makes filing for divorce easy, and the entire ordeal can cost $137 outside of court filing fees.
You won’t have to deal with a lawyer or pay for the privilege of talking to one. Instead, you’ll handle it all on your own, which shouldn’t be that difficult if the terms of your divorce are fairly simple.
On the flip side, it’s important to remember that divorce can become complicated — especially when kids are involved.
If you’re worried you need professional help or advice to settle complicated custody or financial matters, you may be better off hiring a lawyer to handle your case.
Hiring legal counsel will obviously cost a lot more, but there are times when having a professional on your side is worth the added cost.
GetDivorcePapers: Online divorce service review
GetDivorcePapers.com is another legitimate site that offers low-cost DIY divorce services online.
GetDivorcePapers recent complaints at BBB include poor customer service, unwarranted extra fees, and general lack of incompetence and communication. GetDivorcePapers made no effort to respond or rectify these complaints on the Better Business Bureau.
Further, GetDivorcePapers Trustpilot review score is an average rating of 2 stars out of 5 stars.
By using the website and its tools to file the appropriate paperwork to get your divorce finalized, you’ll get access to step-by-step instructions that make the process easy.
GetDivorcePapers provides a 100% money-back guarantee on your investment, meaning that you’ll get all your money back if your local court won’t accept your divorce forms for any reason.
GetDivorcePapers offers their full divorce package for a flat fee of $139. You can also sign up for an ongoing subscription for $34.99 per month to take your time to complete and download your divorce papers PDF.
GetDivorcePapers vs. 3 Step Divorce
GetDivorcePapers is a mediocre choice for online divorce filing, offered at a low price.
Instead, 3 Step Divorce has an excellent online reputation, with an A+ Better Business Bureau rating and very competitive, all-inclusive price.
Hello Divorce: Online divorce service review
Hello Divorce bills itself as a tech startup aimed at disrupting the divorce industry. Founded by family law litigator Erin Levine, Hello Divorce operates in California, Colorado, Texas and Utah (with more states coming), the company raised $2 million in capital July, 2021. The platform offers a hybrid between a simple 3 Step Divorce – type of divorce paper service, and an expensive divorce lawyer.
Hello Divorce has a tiered platform, with services ranging from $20 per month for 6 months' access to divorce paper filing forms, to a flat $4,500 fee for 5 hours with a certified mediator, finalization of form service and filing, and creation of a parenting plan and child support agreement.
Hello Divorce offers a free 15-minute strategy call. We recommend their quick divorce quiz to understand what kind of divorce is right for you — DIY, litigator, mediation, or somewhere in between.
Hello Divorce does not have a Better Business Bureau rating, and as of July, 2021, no reviews on TrustPilot, though the company does have 4.5/ stars based on eight reviews on Yelp.
Bottom line on Hello Divorce
This new company is off to a great start, though its pitch as a tech startup is hindered by its state-by-state rollout. Take the free quiz to see what kind of divorce is a best fit for your family >>
It’s Over Easy: Online divorce service review
Founded by family attorney Laura Wasser, who is famous for working on Hollywood Divorces including Angelina Jolie, Brittney Spears, Heidi Klum and Ryan Reynolds, It’s Over Easy bills itself as a one-stop shop of low-cost, and low-stress uncontested divorce filing, including:
- Negotiation tools
- Serve your spouse divorce papers
- Co-parenting tools
- Parenting schedule templates
- Child support calculator
- Email and phone customer service
- QDRO Tools for Retirement Accounts, online parenting classes and name change
The basic package costs $699, which include generating all the divorce papers for your county and state, and serving your spouse by email when possible.
You are still responsible for filing your own divorce papers in your local courthouse and paying local filing fees. By comparison, 3Step Divorce costs $299 for this same service, minums serving your spouse. However, most couples filing online or amicable divorces don’t need to serve one another because communication is amicable.
It’s Over Easy’s Premium package is $2,500, and is only available in New York and California. The Premium package includes spousal service by courier, payment of state filing fees, and courier delivery of your divorce forms to court. This package also provides you with forms for creating co-parenting plan and division of community assets and calculates child support based on your state’s schedule, which anyone can get for free online via a Google search.
Final word on It’s Over Easy
It’s Over Easy has mixed reviews on TrustPilot and is rated A- by the Better Business Bureau. On TrustPilot, where the company has a rating of 3.7/5 stars based on 12 reviews, reviewers complain there is no actual customer service, and the site just generates online forms you have to fill out yourself. Positive reviewers say the service made their divorce easy and fast.
The Premium services do promise to make the logistics of filing an uncontested divorce easier, but with very limit service areas and a much higher fee, most couples can do these services themselves. It’s Over Easy charges extra for help with retirement account division and parenting classes.
There are free forms online for co-parenting templates and classes elsewhere on the Internet.
In short: If you want cheap easy help with your divorce papers, go with printable divorce papers from 3StepDivorce, and if you need a little extra help negotiating your divorce settlement and filing papers, a local attorney or mediator near you can usually be had for $2,500 or less.
LegalZoom: Online divorce service review
LegalZoom is known for its many legal resources, including estate and will planning, and now online divorce.
LegalZoom is a very legit, respected company for online legal advice and paperwork, including for divorce.
The LegalZoom divorce process works like this:
- Go to divorce.legalzoom.com and answer a few questions to make sure that your divorce is indeed no-fault, and therefore qualifies for LegalZoom. These include:
- Names and location of yourself and your spouse
- Date and location of your marriage
- Number of children and whether you are pregnant
- Properties and debts—and whether you plan to split either equally
- Confirm and pay $499 with a credit card or Paypal, creating a LegalZoom account.
- You will then be provided with the actual divorce filing documents in PDF you will need to file your divorce, along with filing instructions.
It is on you to do the actual filing in your state, which can cost an additional $200 to $400.
LegalZoom also has an additional, prepaid legal service if you still want to call an attorney:
- $71.94 / 6 months ($11.99/month)
- $119.98 / 12 months ($9.99/month)
Pros of LegalZoom
- Easy-to-use, quality service
- You don’t need your spouse involved in the process. As long as you are both in agreement on key issues, they just have to sign on the dotted line.
- LegalZoom has a great reputation. Better Business Bureau rating of A, and 4.3 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Cons of LegalZoom
- There are many other quality online divorce paper companies that do the same thing, for far lower fees.
- LegalZoom won’t actually file the documents for you.
- You’ll need to pay additional court fees, as set by your state and local court systems.
LegalZoom vs. 3 Step Divorce
LegalZoom is a quality online legal papers company useful for creating a will and estate plan, and incorporating your business, but for an online divorce, go with 3 Step Divorce, and save yourself $200 for the same services.
LetsGetDivorced.com: Online divorce service review
LetsGetDivorced.com was founded by Gerald Bruckner, an attorney of 20 years who says he wanted to create a simpler, easier, and more cost-effective way of filing for an uncontested divorce. The service is currently available only in New York, New Jersey, and Texas.
LetsGetDivorced.com works like this:
- Go to LetsGetdivorced.com and answer a few questions to determine whether or not your divorce is truly uncontested, and therefor qualifies for their services.
- If you qualify, you’ll be prompted to complete a more thorough questionnaire. Your answers to these questions will be used to populate your divorce forms.
- Once you have completed the questionnaire, you will be prompted to make your payment in order to download your forms.
- You can download and print the forms immediately upon completion. You will also receive instructions about filing the forms in your local courthouse and how to finalize your divorce.
All in all, the process takes an average of 30 minutes from start to finish.
LetsGetDivorced.com charges a flat fee of $99 for their services.
- LetsGetDivorced is very easy to use
- The process only takes 30 minutes from start to finish
- You can download your divorce papers immediately after completion, which comes with instructions for actually filing your papers
- LetsGetDivorced costs a flat fee of $99
- LetsGetDivorced comes with a guarantee that your forms will be accepted by the correct court
- Technical support is available by both email and telephone if you have any problems or questions while filling out the forms.
- LetsGetDivorced cannot (and does not) offer any form of legal advice. The website and service are specifically just designed to help you file your papers. If you have any questions about the divorce process, you’ll need to hire a divorce lawyer separately.
- LetsGetDivorced is currently only available in New York, New Jersey, and Texas.
- LetsGetDivorced can only be used for uncontested divorce
Despite claiming to be a “leading provider of personalized, online uncontested no-fault divorce forms,” LetsGetDivorced.com has virtually no presence on review websites such as Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
The site itself provides a short list of reviews that customers can read, all of which are 5-star, but these were clearly chosen by the site operators because they paint the business in good light. BirdEye, a less commonly used review site, has a number of negative reviews about LetsGetDivorced, including complaints of poor customer service and unreliable, incomplete, or incorrect forms.
LetsGetDivorced.com vs. 3 Step Divorce
Both LetsGetDivorced.com and 3 Step Divorce allow you to complete your forms quickly and easily online. You can download your forms from both services immediately upon completion.
While LetsGetDivorced is cheaper than 3 Step Divorce, there are a few reasons that we prefer 3 Step Divorce. First, 3 Step Divorce maintains an A+ rating with the BBB and a 4/2 star rating with Trustpilot based on more than 1,600 reviews—excellent ratings which speak to a track record of solid business. LetsGetDivorced, on the other hand, doesn’t have a presence on either of these review sites, which is odd and makes it difficult to get a solid sense of their reliability.
Second, LetsGetDivorced can only be used to file for divorce in three states: New York, New Jersey, and Texas. 3 Step Divorce is available in all 50 states.
The final word on LetsGetDivorced.com
If you are located in New York, New Jersey, or Texas and are looking for one of the cheapest filing options, LetsGetDivorced.com could be a good option for you. It’s important to note, though, that the site does not offer any legal advice whatsoever. Those who live outside of those three states, or who need legal advice for their divorce, should consider a different service.
My Divorce Papers: Online divorce service review
My Divorce Papers exist to help couples file for divorce quickly and easily. My Divorce Papers guarantees that couples seeking a divorce can get started in under an hour. Better Business Bureau rates MyDivorcePapers’ parent company, Divorce Place Inc., an F.
Unlike some other divorce sites, My Divorce Papers does not require you to file an amicable divorce. Once you’re done answering these questions, My Divorce Papers will plug your answers directly into a custom set of legally binding forms that adhere to your specific state’s laws and regulations for divorce. If you need help splitting up your assets fairly, My Divorce Papers offers a free consultation with a certified divorce lawyer in your area.
There’s no obligation to use their services after the free consultation. You’ll also receive a dedicated account manager to walk you through every step of your divorce process, a parenting plan for child custody agreements, and use of calculators to divvy up your assets according to law. Plus, you’ll get access to a library of online divorce resources.
Pros of MyDivorcePapers.com
- My Divorce Papers fills out your divorce documents for you.
- You get your own personal account manager to help answer specific questions.
- No need to file an uncontested divorce to use My Divorce Papers.
- Quick process – My Divorce Papers says many of their customers complete the necessary divorce papers PDF within an hour.
- You can also receive a 100% refund if, for some reason, your court does not accept them.
Cons of MyDivorcePapers.com
- The $159 price point excludes court filing fees.
- Factors like state-specific laws and regulations can slow down the process.
- The process lacks a face-to-face quality that some find appealing during such a stressful and difficult time.
- F rating with BBB, and 2.8 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
My Divorce Papers vs 3 Step Divorce
My Divorce Papers offers many quality resources and a speedy document-filing process, along with great customer support. It’s a good option for those looking to divorce quickly and relatively easily.
One Stop Divorce: Online divorce service review
One Stop Divorce is a newcomer compared to many other popular online divorce sites, including some of those on this list.
Because of that, the company is not currently accredited with the BBB. In fact, the BBB doesn’t even have a profile for One Stop Divorce, which also means that there are no customer reviews available either. Likewise, customer reviews don’t exist on Trustpilot or Reddit, which is unusual for a modern company. The company’s Facebook page has just one review. Yet the website claims that the company has helped more than 500,000 customers file for divorce 🤔.
Like other sites in our list, using One Stop Divorce is relatively straightforward, and similarly priced to its competitors:
- Go to Onestopdivorce.com and create an account. This will allow you to check whether or not you are eligible to use an online divorce service.
- Answer a series of questions about your divorce. This will include information about where you were married, where you will be filing for divorce, the date you were married, and where you and your spouse currently reside. You will also be asked about key terms of your divorce, including whether you have any children, whether alimony will be requested during the divorce, and whether there is any property or debt to divide.
- Make a payment. If you are eligible for online divorce according to the system’s calculations, you’ll then need to make a flat payment of $299 in order to download your divorce papers.
One Stop Divorce claims that it aims to have finalized divorce papers to you electronically within 2 days after you’ve paid and filled out the forms. You can also request that the forms be printed and sent to you, for an additional fee.
One Stop Divorce pros
- The website is easy to navigate and use
- The form can be completed in less than 15 minutes as long as you have all of the information in front of you before you begin
- The flat rate of $299 is comparable to what many other online divorce sites charge
- The service comes with a 100% court-approval guarantee
- One Stop Divorce is available in all 50 states
- Possible to have your finalized divorce papers in as little as 2 days after completing the process
One Stop Divorce Cons
- The lack of reviews, positive or negative, is odd, especially considering the company’s claim to have served more than 500,000 customers
- One Stop Review is not affiliated with the BBB and does not even have a profile with the company
- A lack of payment options means that you can only use the service if you are able to pay $300 out of pocket all at once
One Stop Divorce vs. 3 Step Divorce
At first glance, there are a lot of similarities between One Stop Divorce and 3 Step Divorce. The process of using each is largely the same, as is the cost. But 3 Step Divorce is the clear winner.
The first glaring difference is trust. The company that runs 3 Step Divorce has been in business since 1997 and maintains an A+ rating with the BBB. 3 Step Divorce also has 1,660 reviews on Trustpilot for an average score of 4.5 out of 5 stars. One Stop Divorce, on the other hand, does not have a profile with the BBB, and strangely lacks reviews on any of the most popular review sites, including Trustpilot and Reddit.
The second is in price. While both One Stop Divorce and 3 Step Divorce charge the same flat fee of $299 to help you prepare your divorce papers, how the companies collect this fee is very different. With 3 Step Divorce, you can opt to pay either a one-time fee of $299 or in installments: 2 monthly payments of $157, 3 monthly installments of $109, or 4 monthly payments of $84. Though the monthly installment option will wind up costing you a bit more money in the end compared to the flat fee, the lower payments can also be much more manageable for those with tight budgets, and easier to handle than the lump sum.
With One Stop Divorce, your only option is to pay all at once.
The final word on One Stop Divorce
I can’t get over the fact that this company doesn’t have any reviews, which screams suspicious.
OnlineDivorce.com: Online divorce service review
OnlineDivorce aims to be a quick, easy and inexpensive solution for couples who want to separate amicably without help from a lawyer. In addition to shooting for a lower price point, OnlineDivorce really prides itself on convenience — it’s simple, and there aren’t too many bells and whistles. This is a service that has been around for 20+ years, which gives it some seniority. The folks at OnlineDivorce.com claim to have helped more than 500,000 people get divorced.
OnlineDivorce sets you up with a guided Q&A process that you can complete at your own pace. The first steps to signing up are figuring out if you know where your spouse is located and whether or not you two can agreeably divide your property, debts and issues related to your kids. You can wrap things up as you have time, and you can access customer support by phone whenever you need some help. Like many of the options out there, OnlineDivorce.com will give you personalized instructions to download your divorce papers PDF, and file your divorce paperwork the right way in your state.
Also, there’s a 100% money-back guarantee if your paperwork is not done right or isn’t accepted by your local court. OnlineDivorce services start at $139. There’s just one flat fee to get access to documents that will work for both you and your spouse. Many DIY divorce services online can run you around $300, so this is certainly a budget-friendly alternative. OnlineDivorce has been featured in USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, Time magazine, Good Morning America and the Today show, but the most recent feature was back in 2003.
Pros of OnlineDivorce
- The OnlineDivorce process is competitively priced, so it’s a budget-conscious option.
- The process is self-paced — but all the documents you need are.
Cons of OnlineDivorce
- OnlineDivorce has negative reviews on almost every site – including a C rating from the BBB, and 3.6 / 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- The site is not user-friendly or up-to-date.
- The company is living in another century, boasting of their top-notch technology, which includes “immediate email.”
OnlineDivorce.com vs. 3StepDivorce
Skip this poorly rated site that was created in another century, and seems to live off search traffic only. 3 Step Divorce has an A+ BBB rating, competitive price, and strong customer service reputation.
Wevorce: Online divorce service review
While most online divorce services focus on the divorce papers, and helping you file them, Wevorce is closer to a mediation service or collaborative divorce, giving you access to three hours of live consultation with trained divorce mediators each month, as well as more involved online technology to help you and your spouse work towards a resolution.
Plus, Wevorce completes the divorce papers for you.
Wevorce claims success in keeping 99% of its clients out of court.
Sound good? It is, but is many times more expensive than any other online divorce program. Wevorce costs $949 for the first month, and $199 per month after that. Divorce negotiations can last a few months, or more than a year in some cases.
How does Wevorce work?
Go to Wevorce.com and schedule an onboarding session with a consultant to create a roadmap for your optimal divorce outcome. You and your spouse then have access to the Wevorce portal which guides you through all the items required to finalize your divorce, including custody and settlement agreements.
The fee includes access to 3 hours of mediation per month via phone, chat or email.
Wevorce completes your divorce papers for you, then sends you detailed instructions for how to print the divorce papers PDFs, and file in your local courthouse.
Wevorce is a good hybrid of online service, plus live mediator support. While more expensive than other online divorce services, it is a good value. Wevorce fills out the divorce papers for you.
More expensive than its other online services, but cheaper than IRL options. You have to work together with your soon-to-be ex to complete the mediation process — which is not for everyone.
Final word on Wevorce
Wevorce is a quality service with unique technology that can be a good hybrid of online and human support to get through your separation and divorce.
123DivorceMe: Online divorce service review
Launched in 2006, 123DivorceMe is a competitor to 3 Step Divorce and other sites that promise a single, low fee in exchange for all the legal documents you need to divorce in your state.
123DivorceMe costs $139, or two payments of $74 each.
123DivorceMe has been around a long time and its price is competitive. High TrustPilot reviews, though the company has little web presence and a dated website. Tough to tell whether user experience is strong.
Final word on 123DivorceMe
Do-it-yourself divorce kits and separation agreement templates
These do it yourself divorce kit companies help you collect all necessary documents for your divorce packet, including the DIY separation agreement template. They can all be purchased online, and some may be purchased at major retailers, like:
- Office Depot
Rocket Lawyer for a do-it-yourself divorce kit
Rocket Lawyer is a source for legal documents, as well as legal advice, that costs a fraction of what traditional lawyers charge to create, fill out and file the same documents. Especially if you do not have a complicated divorce, were married a short time, or have few assets to divide, this can be a low-cost, easy-to-use resource.
With Rocket Lawyer, you pay for access to legal help and resources for many topics, including divorce. Using a simple question-and-answer format, Rocket Lawyer helps you understand and complete every form quickly and painlessly.
Rocket Lawyer offers many of its online resources for free. You don’t have to pay anything to ask legal questions via online chat, or through email. You can also try their online law services for free for seven days and get access to their entire library of legal documents, free 30-minute consultations on each new legal issue you have, and quick legal advice from Rocket Lawyer’s on-call lawyer network, plus more. Get a free divorce worksheet from RocketLawyer >>
RocketLawyer provides a free divorce worksheet for everyone, no matter whether you are a subscriber or not.
A premium Rocket Lawyer membership costs $39.99 per month, or you can purchase legal documents and legal help a la carte instead. And if you have a complicated situation and wind up needing an in-person lawyer, you’ll get a 40% discount through Rocket Lawyer as a monthly member. Plus, Rocket Lawyer is Better Business Bureau accredited, with a rating of A+.
Pros of Rocket Lawyer
- Thorough offerings of legal documents and attorney consultations for most personal and business legal needs — including divorce.
- Buy only the documents you need = cost-effective. Save and download your divorce papers PDF.
- Rocket Lawyer keeps its customer’s information and data under lock and key with encryption and other security measures.
- Free divorce worksheet
- High BBB and customer service reviews
- Free 7-day premium membership trial
Cons of Rocket Lawyer
- Rocket Lawyer is a bit pricier than its competitors in the DIY divorce space unless you can resolve your divorce quickly.
- The 30-minute consultations, though free, can only be used to answer one specific legal question per call.
Thanks to the trove of free information, low cost and personalized, discounted legal services, Rocket Lawyer is a great hybrid service that can make sense for many divorcing couples. Read our review of the top divorce kit company.
Rocket Lawyer vs. 3 Step Divorce
These are complementary rather than competing services. In short: Use 3StepDivorce if you want to DIY most or all of your divorce with online divorce papers, while RocketLawyer offers one-off specific divorce papers, as well as other legal documents, as well as affordable access to legal advice from attorneys.
|Rocket Lawyer||3 Step Divorce|
|Services||Download legal documents for family law, business, real estate. Get one-off questions and 30-min phone consultations from attorneys, and find a lawyer near you. Registered agent service||All divorce papers and filing instructions for your state|
|Price||$39/month after free 7-day trial, or per-document fee of $39. Ask a lawyer your legal question via email for $49.99, or a 30-min phone call for $59.99. Up to 40% off their network of attorneys.||$299 flat fee for all documents — or get started f $84 payments.|
|Printable divorce papers||Rocket Lawyer offers settlement agreements, separation agreements and other forms related to divorce, it does not deal in divorce papers.||Immediately get your printable divorce papers for your state, ready for download, signature and filing.|
|Guarantee||Download and electronically sign up to three documents free.||100% money-back guaranteed court approval of your papers.|
Nolo for divorce and separation agreement templates
Nolo is a publishing company that specializes in offering legal help via ebooks, online forms, hardcopy books and software. They specialize in DIY divorce.
Nolo has dozens of ebooks for purchase to help you with your legal questions and processes, including divorce.
It’s a simple online checkout process, and you can download them as ePub or PDF depending on what kind of device you’ll be using them to read them.
You can also get most of them as physical books, in which case you’ll also have access to an ebook with your purchase.
Here are some of the topics and titles:
- Divorce & Money
- Essential Guide to Child Custody & Support
- Mediate, Don’t Litigate
- Divorce After 50
- Building a Parenting Agreement That Works
I bought a few of Nolo’s most popular DIY divorce ebooks. Here’s a look at what you’ll get:
For starters, each ebook provides detailed and thorough information on what to expect and complete for your divorce.
Nolo’s Essential Guide to Divorce, for example, is more than 500 pages long, and it’s updated regularly — in fact, its eighth edition was published in May 2020. It covers topics like how to divide property, spousal support and health insurance, how child support works, how to choose a mediator, and preparing and filing legal divorce papers for an uncontested divorce.
The process is simple: buy and download the state-specific divorce documents, fill them out, sign with your partner, and file them at your local courthouse. Divorce, estate planning, and other legal questions can be looked up online using Nolo’s DIY expansive network of legal information, DIY guides and ebooks, and their lawyer directory (if you do choose to go that route or just need more advice).
Nolo’s popular book and e-book, Divorce & Money, is $27 for the bundle. This book is a guide to help couples make informed financial decisions during divorce, covering topics like dividing debts, settling alimony, divorce negotiations, avoiding tax problems, handling child support and custody, and reducing risks to your investments during your divorce. And you don’t need to speak legalese, either – everything is written in layman’s terms. Nolo keeps their guides, information and products up-to-date with laws and tax details.
Nolo has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, although they are not accredited.
Pros of Nolo
- Nolo has a great reputation among many leading publications and customer reviews.
- The cost of learning the necessary legal aspects of divorce with Nolo’s resources and products is much less expensive than hiring a lawyer or attorney.
- Nolo offers a comprehensive library of easy-to-digest information about divorce, including videos, podcasts, and articles.
- The company can help you connect with one of its network attorneys, should you need to hire a lawyer.
Cons of Nolo
- You’ll do the legwork yourself. Nolo only provides the information to help you make the right legal decisions.
- Nolo isn’t a substitute for a lawyer, as with any DIY program.
Final word on Nolo
Nolo’s vast selection of legal resources are to help you get the information you’ll need to carry out a DIY divorce, as well as provide great information should you hire an attorney.
LawDepot for separation agreement templates
LawDepot is a legit company, founded 2001, and has a 4½ star rating (out of five) on TrustPilot, which the site considers an “excellent” rating. It’s been rated more than 3,000 times.
The Better Business Bureau accredited LawDepot and gives the site an A+ rating. The website has a two-star rating based on 50 complaints from consumers. Many of the complaints seem to stem from users who didn’t cancel their accounts before the end of the 7-day free trial; Law Depot responded to these complaints on the BBB website and, in some cases, refunded the charges.
Is a Legal Depot separation agreement legit?
Law Depot generates a separation agreement based on the laws and protocol of your state, and makes sure that it is a legitimate document that will be upheld in your state’s courts.
To get a Law Depot separation agreement, follow the prompts based on your personal information, then download, and work with your spouse and/or attorney to complete it. Then you must sign, notarize and file it in your local courts.
Law Depot separation documents cost $35, and are valid for 5 years.
How to use Law Depot to obtain a separation agreement
- Go to LawDepot.com
- Look under “Personal” for the separation form (and any of the others that might be useful.
You’ll be asked a series of questions about your situation, on topics like
- Are the two of you currently living apart?
- How many kids do you have?
- Are either of you in the military?
- Do you want the details of the separation agreement to remain in effect even after your divorce?
- Will you want joint or sole custody?
- Who will pay support and how much?
In other words, the same kinds of questions a divorce attorney would ask in order to draw up the document.
Some of these questions include information to help you determine things like support payments or division of assets. If you aren’t sure of the answer to a question, you can click on “skip this step for now” and keep filling out the document with what you do know.
3. Once you and your STBX have hammered out the details and finished filling out the document(s), you create an account by choosing one of those licensing options (one year, document or free trial). Then hit “print.” Don’t forget to save the PDF!
Pros of Law Depot
The site is easy to navigate.
Filling out the documents is very simple, and Law Depot offers information to help you figure out some of the thornier questions.
Law Depot customizes your documents based on the laws of your state.
The company has some other documents that could be useful in your post-divorce life, including a cohabitation agreement, a common-law partner agreement and a prenuptial agreement.
Cons of Law Depot
The biggest downside of LawDepot is that there’s no divorce document available. With a site like 3 Step Divorce you get everything you need to start – and finish – your divorce, including specific instructions for how to file in your state.
If you forget to cancel the free one-week trial, you will be opting into a monthly subscription – which means an automatic $33 charge on your credit card. (And additional $33 charges in future months, if you keep forgetting to cancel the account.)
Law Depot vs 3 Step Divorce
If you want one-stop shopping for your divorce, Wealthy Single Mommy founder Emma Johnson rates 3 Step Divorce as the best DIY/online divorce site out there.
If you want one-stop shopping for your divorce, Wealthy Single Mommy founder Emma Johnson rates 3 Step Divorce as the best DIY/online divorce site out there.
Ready Divorce Service review
Ready Divorce Service is F rated by the Better Business Bureau and is the parent company of these online divorce providers:
All these sites are old, poorly designed, promise very low-cost divorce, and you should skip them all. You’re welcome!
Have questions about online divorce or online divorce services?
To save you from paying an attorney to answer your questions, we tried to answer them here — for free. Keep reading to learn more about DIY online divorce options, and what you need to know before you file:
- Are online divorces legal and legit?
- What states allow online divorce? Do I qualify?
- What is the best online divorce service?
Can I file for divorce online?
Yes! In most states it is possible to file some or all of your divorce papers online. Nearly everyone who files online has an unmessy, uncontested divorce. Before you sign with an online divorce service, make sure the company has:
- High Better Business Bureau rating
- Some kind of money-back guarantee
- You are clear what kind of support or instructions for filing
- What is included in the fee
- Customer service ratings
3 Step Divorce provides all the legal documents you need for a divorce in your state, ability to download the divorce papers PDF immediately, detailed instructions for filling them out and filing them online, for a total fee of $299 — or get started for as low as $84. You can also store your documents online, share them with your spouse or an attorney (for final review), and know the company has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating.
Are online divorces legal and legit? Do online divorces really work?
Yes! Online divorces are just as legitimate and just as good of an idea as filing in-person at the courthouse, if your state allows it. Most states allow at least some of the divorce papers to be filed online, as well as the download of printable divorce forms from your state or county court’s website.
Online and DIY divorces apply to couples who can mostly work out the terms of their divorce settlement between them, or with the help of a mediator, or with an attorney to sort out some details — but do not require lengthy litigation or even negotiation.
Says Susan Guthrie, a Chicago based family law attorney, mediator and coach who serves on the executive council of the American Bar Association’s Section of Dispute Resolution:
“The answer to the question, Are online divorces legal and legit?: Absolutely, if done properly.
A divorce itself is a legal process that is conducted through the filing of a civil lawsuit. That lawsuit is essentially procedurally the same as a car accident personal injury case or a breach of contract case. Each court requires certain paperwork to be served, filed and processed through the court. That is essentially what services such as the ones you mention, LegalZoom, CompleteCase, etc. do. They help people to find, fill out and file the appropriate paperwork to process the legal action.
Where things get interesting, is that in order to finalize a divorce without need for a trial, the parties must reach an agreement on all outstanding issues (generally around their finances and their children), put it all into a properly drafted agreement that is signed by both and submitted to the court, again with the correct accompanying paperwork.
The biggest issue that arises is that people can have a hard time 1.) Identifying what issues must be finalized and all the sub-issues that go with them, 2.) Having rational discussions about how they will resolve those issues and coming to agreements, and 3.) putting those agreements into a form the court will accept.
Therefore, there is really much more involved in resolving a divorce in-person or online than just filling out the paperwork, although that is a part of the process. The parties will also need to find a way come to an agreement so that they can finalize that paperwork.”
How do online divorces work?
Typically, either you, or an online divorce service like 3StepDivorce or others described below, will download and prepare the documents according to your state guidelines.
But before that, there must be a discussion — typically several discussions — between you and your ex-husband or ex-wife to discuss and agree upon many points of the end of the unhappy marriage. These agreements are then summarized in a settlement agreement, and filed with the court.
Points on a settlement agreement often include:
- Time-sharing of children
- Guidelines and rules for co-parenting
- Child support
- Child custody
- Coparent plan
- Coparent communication
- Coparent schedule
- Coparent calendar
- Use of a co-parenting app
- Division of any assets, including the family home, jewelry retirement accounts and other investments
- Division of divorce debt
With pandemic quarantines, many divorce attorneys and mediators are working online and offering services via video-conferencing.
In addition, several states, such as California have not required parties who have an agreement on all issues to appear in court in most cases while other states, such as Connecticut, usual did want one or both there for the final hearing. Again, Covid has changed the landscape and with the courts closed in so many states, the process has been simplified to allow online filing and final hearings without appearing in court or by appearing via video conference.
All in all, the vast majority of couples can process their divorce completely online without ever setting foot in a courtroom and the technology only continues to get better! My one caveat would be that if you are processing all of your paperwork yourself through an online service, and submitting any type of agreement to the court, it is always a good practice to have an attorney review it first. These are legal documents that will have an impact on your life, and that of your children, for many years to come, so it makes sense to make sure that agreement is what you want it to be.
The good news? You can likely meet with that attorney online and just pay for the hour or two it takes them to review and discuss with you.
Is online divorce a good idea?
Benefits of downloading your divorce papers online, and filing them online, include:
- Less expensive than a traditional divorce with lawyers
- Less drama and conflict. If you and your spouse can come to terms without a judge or attorney, everyone wins!
Therefore, there is really much more involved in resolving a divorce in-person or online than just filling out the paperwork, although that is a part of the process. The parties will also need to find a way to come to an agreement so that they can finalize that paperwork.
Is online divorce easy?
Which states allow online divorce?
Not every state allows online divorces, and not every couple qualifies for an online divorce. Check out the rules in your state:
Bottom line: Is online divorce a good idea?
Benefits of downloading your divorce papers online, and filing them online, include:
- Less expensive than a traditional divorce with lawyers [3 places you can find free or cheap divorce papers]
- Less drama and conflict. If you and your spouse can come to terms without a judge or attorney, everyone wins!
There is really much more involved in resolving a divorce in-person or online than just filling out the paperwork, although that is a part of the process. Both spouses will also need to find a way to come to an agreement so that they can finalize that paperwork.
Before signing on with an online divorce service, ask:
- Do you operate in my state?
- Do you offer consultation with a divorce lawyer?
- Is that included in the initial fee — or extra?
- Is that consultation by phone or email?
- How quickly can I expect a response?
- Will you file my divorce papers for me?
There are many online divorce services. Before you sign with an online divorce service, make sure the company has: a high Better Business Bureau rating, a money-back guarantee, fees, customer ratings, and you're clear about the support or instructions are provided for filing.
Typically, either you, or an online divorce service, will download and prepare the documents according to your state guidelines. But before that, there must be a discussion, typically several discussions, between you and your ex-husband or ex-wife to discuss and agree upon many points of the end of the marriage. These agreements are then summarized in a settlement agreement, and filed with the court.
Benefits of downloading your divorce papers online, and filing them online, include: less expensive than a traditional divorce with lawyers; faster; less drama and conflict.
Yes. Getting a traditional divorce with lawyers is time-consuming, stressful and expensive. Filing yourself, online, amiably, can save money, time, conflict, heartache, and drama.