There are plenty of shady or wonky online divorce companies with low Better Business Bureau ratings and horrible customer reviews.
3 Step Divorce stands out above the crowd as a quality divorce paper service, and customer reviews are outstanding.
With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, 100% money-back guarantee, and a $50 rebate, 3 Step Divorce is a quality choice for starting the divorce process. Start your divorce online now for $84 at 3StepDivorce.com >>
Is 3 Step Divorce legit?
Yes, this is a legit site.
There are a lot of names here: 3 Step Divorce was acquired in 2021 by Internet Brands, which owns Avvo and Nolo — other big names in the online divorce space.
3 Step Divorce, which bills itself as “the original online divorce.” They launched in 1997 — when the Internet was a baby. Many online reviews support that 3StepDivorce is a quality service.
3StepDivorce’s original parent company, Divorce Source, was founded in the late 1990s, making them one of the oldest divorce-help companies on the market.
3 Step Divorce claims companies together have reached over 10 million people online over the last two decades.
They’re also associated with 3StepLaw.com.
3 Step Divorce doesn’t have a Better Business Bureau profile, but sister site Divorce Source does. They’re not accredited, but have an A+ rating with BBB.
During their two-decade run processing more than 750,000 forms and helping former lovebirds move on, 3 Step Divorce has been featured by Forbes, CNN, USA Today and NPR.
Here are some common questions you may be asking about 3 Step Divorce:
- How does 3 Step Divorce work?
- How much does 3 Step Divorce cost?
- 3 Step Divorce reviews from real customers
How does 3 Step Divorce work?
3 Step Divorce helps bypass the lawyer’s office and puts you in control of your divorce, saving you potentially tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees. Here’s how:
1. See if you qualify.
This takes 20 seconds. Answer three questions to make sure that you qualify to file your own papers in your county: Find your state’s Qualifying Form here:
2. Complete an online questionnaire.
This takes ~50 minutes. Answer a few non-legal questions about yourself, your spouse, property, debt and children. Your answers are saved online securely, and you can change them and reprint them as many times as necessary for no additional cost.
All forms come with detailed filing instructions for your state.
Questions? 3StepDivorce's customer service is available 24/7 at 888) 665-6782 or [email protected]
3. Create your account and pay.
4. Print your paperwork.
The completed divorce papers are then generated immediately (other services require you to wait a few days). Your paperwork will be mailed to you for free, or you can just print them out immediately when you’re done. Get a $50 rebate if you file the same day you finish your papers.
Broke? 3 Step Divorce offers payment plans.
100% money-back guarantee.
How much does 3 Step Divorce cost?
3StepDivorce's price is about the same as its competitors, but stands out for its payment plans, and 100% inclusive pricing — unlike CompleteCase, for example, there is no online storage fee. The price includes everything you need.
- Pay upfront: $299
- Minimum to get started: $84
- 2 monthly payments of $157
- 3 monthly payments of $109
- 4 monthly payments of $84
State filing fees run $200-$500 depending on where you live.
3 Step Divorce offers a $50 cash rebate if you file your paperwork with your court within one business day of starting your account.
Also, 3 Step Divorce will refund you 100% if your documents aren’t accepted by your local court.
Check out 3 Step Divorce now >>
Is 3 Step Divorce secure?
3 Step Divorce says they take security seriously.
They use Verisign technology to encrypt personal data like payment info, your name, and your address.
Also, they test their site every day for vulnerability clearance with McAfee Virus Protection, and any info being transmitted is encrypted by Norton.
They also go to great lengths to detail security features in their actual physical location — like 24/7 surveillance, alarms, locked rooms and even reinforced floors.
How does 3 Step Divorce compare to traditional divorce?
This goes without saying, but a regular divorce takes a way more than three steps.
You generally wind up getting a lawyer, investing in countless hours arguing about your assets, time-sharing, spousal support, and on and on.
That can be tough on your kids, your schedule, and your wallet. That’s especially true if your divorce is at all contested.
According to GOBankingRates, the average cost of a contested divorce in the U.S. is $15,000 to $20,000 — and some are much higher.
Can you use 3 Step Divorce if you have a child?
100% yes you can use 3StepDivorce if you have kids. 3Step offers free child support worksheets and other tools to set your family up for successful co-parenting.
More benefits of DIY divorce with 3 Step Divorce
Because of the network of websites associated with 3StepDivorce, you’ll have lots of reading material at your fingertips.
The site will link you to online resources and tools, including a rather exhaustive FAQ page covering topics like domestic violence, divorce prevention, grounds for divorce, child custody and support, property, debt, spousal support, separation agreements, alternative dispute resolution, military-specific divorce, how taxes and bankruptcy factor into divorce, and even pensions and retirement accounts.
3 Step Divorce also has specific info on each state’s divorce criteria.
Here are other resources you’ll have access to for free when you create an account:
- Online negotiation center to help you and your spouse settle issues.
- Child Support Calculation Worksheets & Guidelines
- Marital Settlement Agreement
- Custody and support tracking tool that includes a calendar to help you manage custody, visitation and support, track events and log reports.
- “Personal divorce organizer” to document everything in a calendar and set reminders throughout your divorce process to help you stay on top of things — basically a go-to hub for easy reference.
- Always-growing encyclopedia of divorce terminology.
- Name-change kit if you’ve taken your spouse’s surname and want to make the process of changing your last name after the divorce a bit easier.
- 40 different downloadable titles that go into more detail on the legal, financial and emotional parts of getting a divorce.
Pros and cons of DIY divorce with 3 Step Divorce
- Their DIY process is very fast, but you can go through the process at your own pace if you need to take some time.
- Print your divorce papers immediately
- Free copies for you and your spouse, mailed for free
- 3StepDivorce is less expensive. Similar services go for double the price tag, and it’s nothing compared to how much going through the traditional process would cost.
- Installments starting at $84.
- 100% money-back refund guarantee if your courthouse does not accept the papers
- 3StepDivorce lets you make changes to your documents whenever you need at no additional cost.
- 24/7 phone and email support.
- As 3StepDivorce itself cautions — it is not a substitute for a lawyer.
- No attorney consult—but that is the point! This is actually a pro.
- The website could use a serious facelift. 3StepDivorce and Divorce Source was born in the ’90s, and it looks like it never left.
- While the divorce papers are very thorough and there are no surprise fees or expenses, the package does not include name-change documents.
3 Step Divorce reviews from real customers
Generally, customers give 3 Step Divorce positive reviews.
3 Step Divorce reviews on Reddit
3StepDivorce has some positive feedback from the harsh critics of Reddit:
3 Step Divorce reviews on BBB
3StepDivorce's parent company, Divorce Source, Inc., in Allentown, Pa., has consistently maintained an A+ Better Business Bureau rating.
3 Step Divorce reviews on Trustpilot
As of June, 2021, nearly 1,700 people reviewed 3stepdivorce on Trustpilot, giving the service an average of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
3StepDivorce vs. CompleteCase
CompleteCase provides all the divorce documents you need in your state, along with filing instructions, for a flat fee of $299.
There are many other online divorce products:
|BBB rating||Live attorney consultations?||Price|
|3 Step Divorce||A+||No||$299 — plus a $50 cash rebate if you file the same day you create an account. Get started for $84.|
|CompleteCase||A||No||$299 — plus $39/mo storage fee.|
|My Divorce Papers||F||No||$159|
|Rocket Lawyer||A+||Members may ask questions, plus get free 30-min phone consultations||$39/ month after free 7-day trial, or per-document fee of $39|
Bottom line: Is 3 Step Divorce a good option?
The price point is attractive, and customer service reviews are high.
And, 3StepDivorce.com is available in all 50 states. Find your state’s Qualifying Form here:
In this case, you’re talking about something that’s extremely pared down from the kind of service you’d get with a traditional lawyer, a mediated divorce or even some online competitors.
There’s no shortage of options for services helping you get divorced. Read: Top 10 DIY divorce companies online.