As emotionally grueling as divorce can be as it is, a divorce is really just a legal procedure. Legal filings almost always require paperwork, and divorce is no difference.
While a traditional divorce involving two or more attorneys can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars and months or years of battle, most couples with relatively simple affairs and a custody agreement for any shared children should be able to end their marriage quickly and with few costs — but you still can’t avoid dealing with divorce papers.
An online divorce service is an affordable way to get all the papers you need, quickly. 3 Step Divorce provides all the legal documents you need for your state, as well as detailed instructions for how to file—with a 100% guarantee your local court will accept them.
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- 100% guarantee papers will be accepted by your local court
- Immediately download and print your divorce papers
- 24/7 customer support by phone or chat
- Fully transparent pricing: 100% of your papers included in the full $299 price.
- $50 cash rebate if you filed within one business day
Is MyDivorcePapers.com legit?
MyDivorcePapers.com is indeed a legit company. Founded in 2002, MyDivorcePapers reports 1.2 million have used it to file for divorce.
My Divorce Papers promises a “fast online divorce in under an hour.” Unfortunately, MyDivorcePapers.com’s parent company, Divorce Place, has a Better Business Bureau rating of F.
Our recommendation is to pay $299 for 3StepDivorce. 3Step’s fee includes all the papers required in to file for divorce in your state, and detailed instructions for doing so yourself.
- Better Business Bureau rating of A+
- 100% money-back guarantee your papers will be accepted by the court
- Free chat support 24/7 by phone or chat
- $50 cash rebate if you file within 1 business day
What does a DIY divorce online cost with My Divorce Papers?
My Divorce Papers costs $159 for complete divorce forms preparation.
My Divorce Papers will give you a 100% refund if their divorce forms are not accepted by your local court. Keep in mind that the low price comes at a price! This includes an F rating with the Better Business Bureau, which has not accredited the company’s parent company, Divorce Place Inc.
RocketLawyer allows you to buy legal documents like a divorce settlement or separation agreement for a flat fee of $49 per document, and has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about RocketLawyer >>
3StepDivorce provides all the divorce documents you need in your state, along with filing instructions, for a flat fee of $299, and has an A+ BBB rating. Check out 3StepDivorce now >>
|BBB rating||What you get||Live attorney consultations?||Price|
|My Divorce Papers||F||All filing papers + filing instructions in your state||No||$159|
|3StepDivorce||A+||All filing papers + filing instructions in your state||No||$299 + $50 rebate|
|Rocket Lawyer||A+||One-off documents and attorney consults||Members may ask questions, plus get free 30-min phone consultations||$39/ month after free 7-day trial, or per-document fee of $39|
|CompleteCase||A-||All the divorce papers for your state||No||$299|
Does MyDivorcePapers.com work in every state?
Since every state’s divorce guidelines are different, you must choose the state(s) where you and your partner live.
This would normally involve some digging and research on your part in order to figure out the specific state regulations (and even more so if you and your partner live in separate states!).
Luckily, My Divorce Papers has an intuitive and well-documented set of resources, sans all the confusing legalese, to help you get everything squared away in a matter of minutes.
Every state’s divorce laws are different.
For example, to get a New York online divorce you must live in the state for one year prior to filing for a divorce.
New York divorce law only offers fault divorces.
They also use an equal distribution of property and do not require an official parenting plan to be on file with the divorce. Learn more about how to co-parent with even the most toxic ex in this post.
What does My Divorce Papers include?
Every couple gets a dedicated account manager, or “case manager,” who walks you through every step of the process.
Your case manager will become familiar with your circumstances, and you’ll have access to them via phone or email any time you need help.
Other elements of divorce that can be quite tricky to navigate when filing for divorce involve kids: child custody and custody payments are big issues in many divorces.
My Divorce Papers helps families set up a Parenting Plan, which is a custody plan that is filed with a marital separation agreement or final divorce decree.
My Divorce Papers helps parents negotiate a Parenting Plan, whether the state requires one or not. Learn more about successfully co-parenting after divorce, and why it is so important for children.
The divorce services My Divorce Papers offer also include a Child Custody Calculator AND Alimony Calculator for establishing reasonable and fair payments from one spouse to the other.
This can be a real hang-up in the traditional divorce court process, but your My Divorce Papers dedicated Case Manager is trained to help you come to an agreement quickly and peacefully.
My Divorce Papers customers get access to a completely free library of divorce resources.
Their team has created an extensive video archive to help explain issues like taxes, estate planning, spousal support, child custody, and how to serve your spouse with divorce papers.
Get your maiden name back with My Divorce Papers’ free name change service for wives!
That’s one less thing to figure out – and each thing taken off your plate will be a huge relief at a time like this.
MyDivorcePapers reviews in 2021
MyDivorcePapers has horrible customer reviews.
MyDivorcePapers reviews on BBB
Better Business Bureau gives My Divorce Papers parent company Divorce Place Inc. a big, fat F. Complaints include fees not transparently disclosed, incomplete papers, and lousy customer service.
MyDivorcePapers reviews on TrustPilot
TrustPilot reviewers give MyDivorcePapers.com an average of 2.7 stars — ranking the site poor. Here are some disgruntled users:
Pros and cons of MyDivorcePapers.com
- It’s quick. My Divorce Papers boasts that their document-filing process can be completed in under an hour! Plus, no waiting on an attorney or the slow, bureaucratic courthouse process.
- All states are covered, and My Divorce Papers provides state-specific filing instructions, requirements, explanations, and forms.
- My Divorce Papers costs less than the average divorce by speeding up the process and eliminating pricey legal fees. In a $30 billion divorce industry, getting completely prepared divorce forms online for $159 is a great deal.
- My Divorce Papers guarantees that your forms will be accepted by the court or you get your money back.
- My Divorce Papers has a BBB rating of F, and is not accredited
- Filing for divorce online isn’t always as quick as the company promotes. It can depend on factors like where you live, whether your state has a waiting period, whether you know where your spouse is (to serve them the papers), whether it’s a fault-based or no-fault divorce, whether the divorce is contested or uncontested, if you have big assets, like businesses, that take longer to evaluate, and if there are custody issues to dispute.
- Customers complain of poor, frustrating customer service.
- There are many add-on fees that are not transparently disclosed.
How to file for divorce online with MyDivorcePapers
The My Divorce Papers sign-up process is simple.
- It’s 100% free to register with My Divorce Papers and create an account.
- Select your state of residence and create an account.
- You’ll specify whether you need to file paperwork for a divorce, an annulment, or a legal separation.
- Fill out other basic questions, such as whether or not you know the location of your spouse, and whether you and your spouse are in agreement on the division of your property, assets, and any child-related matters, like custody and support.
- Even if you and your spouse are at odds about these divorce-related issues, you’ll still qualify for the My Divorce Papers online divorce services.
- Next, enter information about your divorce, including which partner is filing for the divorce, whether your credit was affected as a result of the marriage, your current living arrangements, and how soon you’re looking to file.
- You’ll then be asked a couple of questions related to any children involved and any current pregnancies.
- On the next screen, you’ll answer questions about shared and individual assets, debts, and properties, income, and employment.
Other details My Divorce Papers will ask about include military history, whether you or your spouse are already represented by an attorney if you’ve already filed for divorce in court, and how you plan to finance the divorce.
The answers you give are plugged right into your custom set of state-specific, legally binding forms. You can change your answers at any time before filing the divorce papers.
There’s no obligation to pay for anything until you’re almost finished with the process and ready to file.
For individuals with large estates or sizeable assets, complex finances, or major issues with reaching a negotiation, My Divorce Papers will provide a free consultation with a divorce lawyer right in your area.
All of the online divorce forms are filled out in real time, so once you’re finished, they’re ready for instant filing and delivery to your local courthouse.
They even explain in great detail how you should serve the papers to your spouse, which is one of the more delicate elements of the whole process.
Their guidance here is key to a successful online divorce, and they handle it wonderfully.
3 Step Divorce: Alternative to My Divorce Papers
There are many, many online divorce papers service providers on the Internet. Here is our roundup of the best DIY online divorce companies.
Skip the poor customer service of My Divorce Papers and go with 3 Step Divorce.
Other companies to consider:
- It’s quick -- document filing in less than an hour
- All states are covered
- Costs less than the average divorce
- Guarantees that your forms will be accepted by the court
- BBB rating of F, and is not accredited
- Filing for divorce online isn’t always as quick as the company promotes