scroll top

Help for single moms in Alabama: 36 assistance programs

We earn commissions for transactions made through links in this post. Here's more on how we make money.

If you’re a single mom in Alabama struggling to make ends meet, keep reading for resources that help with: 

Every month, I give out $500 cash to one single mom struggling with money, health, stress, child care, illness or loneliness — no strings attached. 

Qualifications are simple:

1. You're a single mom.

2. You need the money right now.

Fill out this form to apply:

(Note that the figures and information in this post are current as of publication date.)

Many of the programs on this list determine eligibility as a percentage of the federal poverty level (FPL). These are the 2024 federal poverty guidelines:

Number of people in family/householdAnnual income

* For families/households with more than 8 people, add $5,380 for each additional person.

You can also look up your area median income (AMI) here.

Emergency cash for low-income families in Alabama

If you need cash to pay bills, buy gas, feed your family, or for any other reason, these resources can help: 

The Family Assistance Program in Alabama

The Family Assistance Program in Alabama — also known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in other states — gives cash to families in need for a maximum of five years. Families must have at least one child under 18 or a full-time student aged 19 or younger. 

The maximum amount a family can earn depends on family size:

Family SizePayment Amounts


  • Must be a U.S. citizen 
  • Must live in Alabama
  • Caregivers must be a parent or close relative of eligible children
  • Parents should comply with child support guidelines, if necessary
  • Parents must have a job or be able to look for work
  • Must not have a net monthly income that equals or is more than the benefit amount (table above)

How to get help:

More emergency cash help in Alabama: 

Single moms in Alabama can visit or dial 2-1-1 to ask for assistance.

Check out these posts for more ways to get emergency cash: 

These are some more tips for getting cash quickly: 

Housing help for single moms in Alabama

If you need help finding a place to live or paying your rent/mortgage, these programs can help: 

Rental assistance in Alabama

There are multiple programs in Alabama to help renters find housing and pay their rent:

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) gives vouchers to Alabama individuals and families with low-income so they can pay rent. Maximum rent allowance varies by county.


HUD determines how much a household gets using their income and family size. Visit the HUD website to find specific income information based on your county.

How to get help: 

Emergency Solutions Grant Program

The Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG) in Alabama aims to prevent homelessness by helping families pay their rent or find adequate housing quickly. 

Families may also get financial help for moving, paying utilities, and legal assistance. ESG provides funds directly to community agencies to assist families in need of help.


Qualifications for rental assistance and other services offered by the program vary by the state agency receiving ESG funds. 

How to get help:

Call ADECA at 334-353-0288.

Mortgage assistance in Alabama

If you need help buying a home in Alabama, these programs can help: 

Alabama Housing Finance Authority Programs

The Alabama Housing Finance Authority (AHFA) helps people in Alabama become homeowners with low-cost mortgages. The loans are fixed for 30 years. Some homebuyers may receive down payment assistance.

AHFA offers the following programs:

  • Step Up: Eligible homeowners can get a low-interest mortgage and down payment assistance through this program. Homebuyers can get 4% of the sale price, up to $10,000 for down payment assistance. 
  • Affordable Income Subsidy Grant: This grant program gives funds to eligible homebuyers to help them pay closing costs on a new home.
  • Mortgage Credit Certificates: This program offers a significant tax break for homebuyers to help them have more cash available to pay their mortgages. 


Eligibility varies by program:

  • Mortgage Credit Certificate users must be first-time homebuyers or not have owned a home in the last three years
  • Step Up participants can not have income above $130,600, have a credit score of at least 640, and have a debt-to-income ratio of 45% or lower
  • To be eligible for an Affordable Income Subsidy Grant, homebuyers must also qualify for the Step Up program                                         

How to get help: 

Call AHFA at 800-325-2432 or contact [email protected] to find a participating lender in your area.

Hope Credit Union Home Loans

Hope Credit Union Enterprise Corporation offers various loan options for first-time homebuyers, those looking to refinance, and those denied lending because of poor credit. Hope has specific loan products that cater to low- to moderate-income families:

  • FHA loan – Ideal for families with low to moderate income who cannot afford a large down payment
  • Hope loan – An affordable housing loan from Hope Credit Union you can apply for even if your credit score is as low as 580

Hope has loan options for any income level and credit standing.


  • Alabama resident

How to get help:

Check today's mortgage loan rates >>

Homeless assistance in Alabama

Supportive Housing Program in Alabama

Families needing safe, affordable housing can reach out to the Supportive Housing Program. The program provides funds to community agencies to develop affordable housing projects for in-need families. 


Each agency outlines its eligibility criteria to receive assistance. 

How to get help: 

Call AHFA at 800-325-2432 to find a Supportive Housing Program in your area.

Individual and Households Program

The Individuals and Households Program (HP) in Alabama is sponsored by FEMA and provides several housing-related services to Alabama families in need, including:

  • Money for a rental
  • Temporary housing
  • Housing repairs
  • Emergency damage repairs
  • Semi-permanent or permanent house construction. 


The qualifications for HP vary by specific program. For instance, families seeking temporary housing must currently own a home damaged by disaster. Homeowners may also be required to carry flood insurance if they're getting their home replaced by the program.

How to get help: 

Contact your county's Alabama Emergency Management Agency office.

More housing help: 

Electric bill assistance in Alabama

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills in Alabama, check out the following programs:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) in Alabama

LIHEAP is a federal program that helps Alabama residents with low incomes pay for their heating and cooling bills. The program is split into 18 regions, each with an agency that oversees the program for its included counties.


  • U.S. citizen
  • Alabama resident
  • Income that doesn't exceed 150% of FPL
  • Each agency may also establish its own eligibility criteria

How to get help:

Contact your region's LIHEAP agency for assistance.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) in Alabama

WAP helps low-income households pay for repairs or upgrades that could save them money on energy bills long-term. Some services available through the program include:

  • Sealing ductwork
  • Repairing drafty windows
  • Installing insulation
  • Placing LED bulbs in the home


  • U.S. citizen
  • Resident of Alabama
  • Not exceed 150% of FPL with household income

How to get help:

Call 334-242-4909 or contact your region's office.

Project SHARE

Project SHARE is a statewide program in Alabama that organizations like the American Red Cross and Salvation Army help facilitate in local communities. Funds from the program go directly to energy companies to assist customers in need of help with electricity bills. 


Each assisting organization sets its own eligibility requirements for the program. In most cases, the head of household must be legally disabled to receive assistance, but some agencies also provide funds to low-income households.

How to get help:

Contact your nearest Salvation Army or American Red Cross office for more information about Project SHARE.

More electric bill help: 

Free money to help pay bills

Medical insurance and dental help for single moms in Alabama

Single moms in Alabama can apply for the following programs to get help paying for health and dental services.

Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) in Alabama

HRSA, an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, gives funds to Alabama to make health care more accessible to people who need it most, such as rural households living far from quality health care services. 

HRSA funds important health-focused programs in the state, like the Small Rural Hospital

Improvement Program and the Rural Health Clinic Vaccine Confidence Program. Funds can also move from each program or agency to patients needing care.


Eligibility varies by each program or health center based on community need.

How to get help:

Call the Region 4 HRSA office at 404-562-4140.

Alabama Medicaid

Medicaid in Alabama pays for multiple health and dental-related services for families with low incomes. The state offers separate Medicaid programs for children, pregnant women, disabled individuals, and parents and caretakers.

Depending on the specific Medicaid program, single parent families may get help with the following costs:

  • Hearing and vision screenings and treatments
  • Routine healthcare
  • Prescriptions
  • Family planning and maternity services
  • Hospital services
  • Ambulatory care
  • Mental health services


Eligibility varies by program. However, all programs require households to meet income guidelines and be U.S. citizens and residents of Alabama:

Family size Monthly income
Each additional personAdd $575

Parents and caretakers must have qualifying children under 19 to receive Medicaid for themselves or their children.

How to get help:

Apply on the Insure Alabama website.

Alabama ALLKids

Alabama ALLKids is the state's version of the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), a federal program that provides health care coverage to children whose families don't qualify for traditional Medicaid because of their income. 

ALLKids allows children to receive Medicaid if their family's income doesn't exceed 300% of the FPL. 

The program has two versions:

  • Fee: Families pay an annual premium of $104
  • Low Fee: Families pay an annual premium of $52

Families in either group pay no more than 5% of their annual income for out-of-pocket expenses.


  • U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen
  • Alabama resident
  • Child must be under 19
  • Child must not have or be eligible for other insurance, including Medicaid
  • Meet income guidelines based on family size

How to get help: 

Donated Dental Services in Alabama

Single moms needing medically necessary dental care may receive treatment from dental professional volunteers with the Donated Dental Services program.


Eligible recipients must be permanently disabled or have a doctor's recommendation for medically necessary dental care. Veterans may also qualify.

How to get help: 

Apply on the Dental Lifeline Network website.

Free dental clinics in Alabama

Some dental clinics in Alabama provide charitable services to help families with low incomes get the dental care they need. The Alabama Dental Association hosts a list of dental clinics that provide these services to eligible households.


Each individual clinic in Alabama sets its own eligibility requirements. 

How to get help: 

Find a nearby free dental clinic or contact community dental clinics to see if they have low-cost services for your family.

More medical/dental help: 

Food help for low-income families in Alabama

A number of federal and state food and nutrition programs are available across the state:

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in Alabama

SNAP is a federal program that gives eligible households money to buy food, including fresh meat, fruit, vegetables, and pantry items. The program pays families on an EBT card that they can use at local grocery stores. 

Recipients must recertify each year and complete a six-month review to continue receiving benefits. Depending on income, a family of four can receive a maximum monthly benefit of $939.


  • Family members must be U.S. citizens with valid Social Security numbers
  • Must be a resident of the county in which you apply
  • Have a job or be eligible for and willing to work
  • Not exceed income limits:
Household SizeGross Income LimitsNet Income Limits
Each additional person$512$394

How to get help: 

Apply on the MyDHR website or print an application to take to your nearest office, which you can also locate on the MyDHR website.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) in Alabama

This federal program extends to pregnant women and women with young children in Alabama to:

  • Provide resources, education, and nutritional support 
  • Help women buy infant formula 
  • Give women breastfeeding supplies and support
  • Support unique dietary needs 

Children are eligible through age 5.


  • Low-income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, for up to one year postpartum
  • Women up to six months postpartum who are not breastfeeding
  • Infants and children under 5 years old, including foster children
  • Low-income sole provider parents of children under age of 5 who are at nutritional risk and who are below 185% of FPL
  • If you are currently receiving Medicaid, Temporary Assistance, or Food Assistance help, you are also eligible for WIC

How to get help: 

Call your nearest Alabama Department of Public Health office. Applicants must bring the children they're applying for along with identification, proof of residency, and proof of income.

National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program

Schools across the state of Alabama participate in NSLP and School Breakfast programs to help their students get affordable and nutritious meals at school. Students can qualify for free or reduced lunches and breakfasts based on their family income. 


Eligible Alabama families must have income within the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

How to get help: 

Contact your child’s school for an application.

Child Nutrition Program in Alabama

Families with school-age children can receive nutritious lunches during summer break from this program, which is a cooperative effort from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Alabama State Department of Education.


  • Be an Alabama resident
  • Be a parent or primary caregiver of a school-age child

How to get help: 

Complete an online application on the Alabama State Department of Education website

Alabama food banks

Single moms can sign up to receive food from food banks, which is usually donated by community members and agencies or federal organizations.


Each food bank sets its own eligibility requirements.

How to get help: 

Locate your nearest food bank on the Feeding Alabama website.

More food help: 

Child care help for low-income families in Alabama

If you need help paying for child care so you can work, these Alabama programs can help:

Alabama Head Start and Early Head Start

The national Head Start program gives children ages 3 to 5 the opportunity to attend preschool for free. Early Head Start in Alabama is a bridge program for pregnant women and parents with children under age 3 to receive developmental support, guidance, and services until they're ready to transition to Head Start. 


  • Have children from 0-3 for Early Head Start and 3-5 for Head Start
  • Income within the FPL
  • Families receiving public assistance (TANF, SNAP, etc.) may also qualify without needing to prove income

How to apply: 

Subsidized Child Care Program in Alabama

Single moms who need child care for work can receive low-cost or free child care, depending on their income, through this program. Parents can also use subsidized care to attend job training programs and school.

The Alabama Department of Human Resources pays program subsidies directly to managing agencies to distribute to child care centers for eligible children. Families pay copays between $0-$39 each week, depending on their income.


  • Be a resident of the Alabama county in which you apply
  • Be the parent or primary caregiver for a qualifying child
  • Meet the income guidelines for an initial application

How to get help:

Download an application from the Alabama Department of Human Resources and bring it to your nearest office, or call 334-242-1425 or 866-528-1694.

More child care help

Education help for single moms in Alabama

If you’re a single mom who wants to further her education, here are some helpful resources: 

Get a GED in Alabama

Single moms in Alabama who have not completed high school can pursue a GED for an equivalent certificate to a high school diploma. The Alabama Community College System offers free GED exams for qualifying individuals who pass its practice exam. Otherwise, the four-part exam costs $120.

Test-takers must be 18 years of age, or 16 or 17 if they have parental permission and permission from the school district where they live. 

Grants and scholarships in Alabama

The Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) funds scholarships, grants, and other educational assistance programs for Alabama residents:

  • Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP) funds grants up to $5,000 for students based on their financial need
  • Alabama Student Grant Program works with state colleges and universities to offer up to $3,000 per year to students needing financial aid
  • Minority Doctoral Program helps doctoral students who are people of color receive financial assistance and career resources

Interested degree-seekers should fill out the FAFSA to determine their financial need and assistance eligibility before contacting the ACHE to apply.

Alabama Possible

Alabama Possible is a nonprofit organization that works around the state to help individuals attend college and avoid economic hardship. It currently offers several programs to increase college education in the state and help residents find cash assistance for college. 


Qualifications vary by program.

How to get help: 

More education help: 

Employment help for single moms in Alabama

Workforce programs in Alabama provide training and assist with employment:

Unemployment Benefits from the Alabama Department of Labor

Unemployment benefits help single moms in Alabama receive money for weeks they were unemployed, laid off, or had reduced hours at their jobs. 


  • Alabama resident
  • Unemployed, laid off, or had a reduction of hours at a current job
  • Able to look for employment each week
  • Meet minimum earning requirements

How to get help: 

File a claim online through the Alabama Department of Labor.


AlabamaWorks! provides job-focused resources to students and workers in Alabama. Single moms can use the website to search for jobs, locate nearby training opportunities, or find virtual career fairs and workshops to enhance their skills and employability.

How to get help: 

Visit the AlabamaWorks! website and navigate to the I'm a job seeker or I'm a student section, depending on your situation.

American Job Centers in Alabama

Alabama single moms can use the American Job Center portal to locate suitable jobs, find job training opportunities, and get career counseling to help them continue earning for their families.

How to get help: 

More employment help: 

Charity organizations in Alabama

There are a number of charitable organizations throughout Alabama that offer support to single moms:

Women's Foundation of Alabama

This organization helps Alabama women and mothers meet various needs and break the cycle of poverty. The Women's Foundation of Alabama invests in community programs that:

  • Advocate and support women
  • Provide financial assistance
  • Research community needs to help women and their families


Eligibility for funded programs is determined by the agency or program receiving funds from the Women's Foundation of Alabama.

How to get help: 

Call 205-326-4454 to ask about funded programs in your area.

The Salvation Army of Alabama

The Salvation Army of Alabama helps local communities across the state get the support they need through:

  • Financial assistance
  • Donations
  • Shelter
  • Emergency help
  • Holiday gift giving
  • Food
  • After-school programs
  • Job search and training
  • Help with domestic abuse situations


Salvation Army locations in Alabama can create their own programs based on community need and determine their eligibility requirements for each program.

How to get help: 

Visit the Salvation Army website to find your local chapter. 

United Ways in Alabama

The United Way helps people and communities all over the world access what they need to live healthy, safe, and happy lives. The organization has locations in Alabama to assist local communities with better educational opportunities, financial support, and disaster relief.

How to get help: 

Locate your nearest United Way office in Alabama.

Not your state? Select yours here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *