What’s a SMILF, you ask? In my book, a SMILF is a Single Mom I’d Like to Friend. Someone I want to hang out with. It’s also a Single Mom I’d Like to Finance — that is, someone who has her life so together that banks and investors are at her fingertips to help her build her life. And if she has all this going for her, men will definitely find her to be a single mom they’d like to, um, friend-finance.
- Is smart.
- Is funny. Hilarious, actually.
- Has a career – and not just because she has to pay the bills. She has a career because that is part of being a full person.
- Doesn’t take herself too seriously. But takes her life very seriously.
- Looks at all her financial statements every month – even if she knows it won’t be pretty.
- Delights in her kids.
- Puts her kids first.
- Has needs that aside from her children: intellectual, physical, sexual, creative, emotional and social.
- Is a whole woman, and totally cool with that.
- Is OK being single. Even if she’d prefer to be in a relationship.
- Knows how much is going out, and how much is coming in.
- Recognizes that her energy is better spent building her own wealth than fighting her ex over child support.
- Takes him to court if she needs to.
- Is not a victim.
- Is sometimes scared, and totally cool with that.
- Is sometimes broke, and totally cool with that.
- Is generous, even when it is tough to be generous.
- Dreams big for her family. Dreams big for herself.
- Feels pretty when she looks at her Mint.com account.
- Is not bitter. OK, maybe she’s a little bitter. But she’s trying really, really hard not to be bitter.
- Knows the best revenge is living well.
Do you fit the bill? Know someone who does? Let me know — I’d love to profile them here on Wealthy Single Mommy!