I was stunned when, a couple months ago, I attended a media event for the Oxygen show, Quit Your Day Job (think SharkTank meets Survivor), where one of the panelists, and show co-host, Lauren Maillian took her turn at the mic, introducing herself. Some of the first words out of her mouth were, “I’m a single mom.” I wasn’t sure what she said after that, because I was so stunned — I have never, ever heard a high-profile woman lead with her unmarried moms status.
This was a triumph.
So is Lauren. I met Lauren, 31, a few years ago when we discussed working on a book together. She is remarkable — a former fashion model (she is remarkable in her beauty and fashion, as we discuss in this episode. Seriously, she GOES THERE when she steps out), wine entrepreneur, best-selling author, investor, luxury marketing consultant, TV personality, philanthropist and, of course, single mom.
In this episode we discuss:
- The power of feminine beauty in business.
- How being the only black kid in her Manhattan private school developed her risk tolerance and thick skin.
- How she integrates her children, ages 6 and 8, into the untraditional flow of her professional life, and why that is so fantastic for the whole family.
- Her commitment to being an advocate for women and women of color in the boardroom, despite never facing sexual discrimination herself.
- Why bringing your A game all the time is so critical (even if the press makes fun of your frequent wardrobe changes).
Check out Lauren’s book, The Path Redefined: