I was stunned when, a couple months ago, I attended a media event for the Oxygen show, Quit Your Day Job (think SharkTank meets Survivor), where one of the panelists, and show co-host, Lauren Maillian took her turn at the mic, introducing herself. Some of the first words out of her mouth were, “I’m a single mom.” I wasn’t sure what she said after that, because I was so stunned — I have never, ever heard a high-profile woman lead with her unmarried moms status.
This was a triumph.
So is Lauren. I met Lauren, 31, a few years ago when we discussed working on a book together. She is remarkable — a former fashion model (she is remarkable in her beauty and fashion, as we discuss in this episode. Seriously, she GOES THERE when she steps out), wine entrepreneur, best-selling author, investor, luxury marketing consultant, TV personality, philanthropist and, of course, single mom.
In this episode we discuss:
- The power of feminine beauty in business.
- How being the only black kid in her Manhattan private school developed her risk tolerance and thick skin.
- How she integrates her children, ages 6 and 8, into the untraditional flow of her professional life, and why that is so fantastic for the whole family.
- Her commitment to being an advocate for women and women of color in the boardroom, despite never facing sexual discrimination herself.
- Why bringing your A game all the time is so critical (even if the press makes fun of your frequent wardrobe changes).
Check out Lauren’s book, The Path Redefined:
Emma Johnson is a veteran money journalist, noted blogger, bestselling author and an host of the award-winning podcast, Like a Mother with Emma Johnson. A former Associated Press Financial Wire reporter and MSN Money columnist, Emma has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Glamour, Oprah.com, U.S. News, Parenting, USA Today and others. Her #1 bestseller, The Kickass Single Mom (Penguin), was named to the New York Post’s ‘Must Read” list.
Emma regularly comments on issues of modern families, gender equality, divorce, sex and motherhood for outlets like CNN, Headline News, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fox & Friends, CNBC, NPR, TIME, MONEY, O, The Oprah Magazine and The Doctors. She was named Parents magazine’s “Best of the Web,” “Top 15 Personal Finance Podcasts” by U.S. News, and a “Most Eligible New Yorker” by New York Observer.
A popular speaker, Emma presented at the United Nations Summit for Gender Equality. Read more about Emma here.