In the 90s, social media entrepreneur Kim Garst was sick of being broke, so she launched a seven-figure business from her dining room table with no marketing. When she maxed out on that web design business, Garst became involved in a wildly successful network marketing business, which morphed into consulting, and eventually Boom Social, a social media marketing firm that is considered a leader in its industry.
In this episode, Kim and I discuss:
- How the heck she is such an involved mom of two, and wife, while building these killer businesses.
- Her innate comfort with making money.
- Why her derailment from plans to attend law school by motherhood was the best thing that happened to her career.
- Why selling your knowledge is often far more lucrative and impactful than doing the actual job.
- The importance of surrounding yourself with other positive, ambitious people.
- Her husband's attitude about her professional and financial success.
About Like a Mother: For Moms Who Think
Celebrities, bestsellers, turd-stirrers, advocates, everyday people with amazing stories, and call-in guests to discuss what smart moms really care about:
Career, money, business, parenting, feminism, dating, sex, success, love and relationships.
40,000 monthly downloads.
“Top 15 Personal Finance Podcasts”
Emma Johnson is a veteran money journalist, noted blogger, bestselling author and an host of the award-winning podcast, Like a Mother with Emma Johnson. A former Associated Press Financial Wire reporter and MSN Money columnist, Emma has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Glamour, Oprah.com, U.S. News, Parenting, USA Today and others. Her #1 bestseller, The Kickass Single Mom (Penguin), was named to the New York Post's ‘Must Read” list.
Emma regularly comments on issues of modern families, gender equality, divorce, sex and motherhood for outlets like CNN, Headline News, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fox & Friends, CNBC, NPR, TIME, MONEY, O, The Oprah Magazine and The Doctors. She was named Parents magazine’s “Best of the Web,” “Top 15 Personal Finance Podcasts” by U.S. News, and a “Most Eligible New Yorker” by New York Observer.
A popular speaker, Emma presented at the United Nations Summit for Gender Equality. Read more about Emma here.