I first saw Cocoa Brown in Tyler Perry’s Single Mom’s Club, in which she plays a down-and-out mom with a husband and son in jail and struggling to find child care while she waited tables at the local diner.
In real life, Cocoa is a very real single mom of a 3-year-old, and she is killing it in her career as a standup comic and actress. Roles include Jennifer on Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse series on TBS, and the upcoming miniseries American Crime Story, in which Cocoa plays Queen Bee, a pivotal juror in the OJ Simpson trial.
In this hilarious interview, Cocoa shares her story about:
- Leaving corporate life to pursue standup comedy
- Breaking into Hollywood
- Dealing with an unfaithful husband
- Raising a son without an involved father
- Being a single mom with the help of her tribe of five amazing gay men
- Dating as a single mom
- Her standup album, One Funny Momma