No matter what stage of life you’re in, it’s common to go through ups and downs. But you don’t have to face it alone, nor do you have to rearrange your life to get the help you need. The convenience of meeting with a therapist through the online therapy platform Online-Therapy.com can be life-changing. Online-therapy.com relies on online worksheets, self-guided modules and weekly chat sessions with your therapist to help you work through your struggles using cognitive behavioral therapy.
Note, onlinetherapy.com is a comparison site that makes its money from referring readers to actual therapy providers (not unlike wealthysinglemommy.com).
Pros of Online-Therapy.com:
- Yoga and meditation modules
- All therapist licensed with advanced degrees
Is Online-Therapy.com legit?
Online-Therapy.com is a legit company. The company started in 2009, and the thousands of online reviews are positive. Their team of therapists includes board-certified psychiatrists, licensed clinical psychologists, and professional counselors with degrees from esteemed institutions.
Online-Therapy is based in Sweden, but it serves U.S. clients with its U.S-based therapists.
The Online-Therapy.com site is secure, you can choose to remain anonymous with your therapist, and if your counselor is not a fit, you can switch any time.
While Online-therapy.com is HIPAA compliant, and the platform does take measures to ensure your information is saved anonymously on a secure, encrypted server where only you and your therapist can access it. Your account and all of your submitted information is automatically deleted after two years, though you can delete your account at any time.
Additionally, clients choose a nickname instead of your real name, so even your therapist does not know your identity, unless you choose to share that with him or her.
Are Online-Therapy.com therapists legit?
Online-Therapy.com, therapists must have a masters or doctorate in counseling, social work, clinical psychology, or related mental therapies. Therapists and counselors on Online-therapy.com must be licensed by the state board and not have been subject to any disciplinary actions in the 10 years prior.
Online-Therapy.com therapists use congitive behavioral therapy, and can provide counseling for a wide array of issues.
Here’s a rundown of Online-Therapy.com to help you decide if this quality app / website is right for you.
- How does Online-Therapy.com work?
- Can Online-Therapy.com prescribe medication?
- How much does Online-Therapy.com cost?
- Online-Therapy.com pros and cons
- Online-Therapy.com reviews
How does Online-Therapy.com work?
Focusing on long-term solutions for mental well-being, Online-Therapy.com offers remote-therapy services, using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques. CBT is a widely recognized method of treating a wide array of mental health issues like depression, anxiety, eating disorders, chronic pain, PTSD, and grief, by helping the client recognize and change their behavior and thought-processes.
This psychotherapeutic approach teaches you to change your thoughts and create new behavior pathways — changing your life and overall happiness in the process.
CBT is rooted in decades of well-documented research, and is popular for both its proven effectiveness, as well as how quickly it can work. From the National Institutes of Health: Why Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the Gold Standard of Psychotherapy.
Online-Therapy.com provides a complete toolbox of resources built on the success of CBT:
- An online, self-directed, 8-module Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course
- Worksheets — with daily feedback from your personal therapist
- Live chat, video or phone sessions with your personal certified and licensed therapist
- Action plan — where you add activities that bring meaning and joy to your life
- Meditation videos
- Yoga videos
Common reasons people seek out CBT online therapy, and find success with Online-Therapy.com in particular is the same as everyday people who look for a therapist for common emotional, mental health and relationship challenges. Online-Therapy.com may be a good fit if you think you can benefit from a:
- Therapist for depression. Take an online depression test first.
- Therapist for anxiety. Take an online anxiety test first.
- Therapist for anger management. Take an online anger issues test to see if you have a problem.
Does Online-Therapy.com have an app for therapy?
Yes! You can download the Online-Therapy.com app at the Google Play and iTunes/Apple stores. From there, you can create an account, and engage in every element of the toolbox, including chats, messages and phone and video sessions with your personal therapist.
Online-Therapy.com's website and app are designed to be user-friendly for every level of comfort with technology. Check out Online-Therapy.com now, and get 20% off (no discount code needed) >>
How to schedule a therapy appointment with Online-therapy.com
- Go to Online-Therapy.com. From there you create an account, and set up payment by credit card or Paypal.
- You will be assigned a personal therapist who is your partner throughout this process. Schedule your first 30-minute chat, video or call — your choice.
- You can get to work on the first of the 8 CBT sections right away. Within these modules — which are available by video, audio or text — you can ask questions and interact with your therapist, who will also give feedback to the corresponding worksheets daily Monday-Friday.
- You also have 24/7 access to the video and guided meditation and yoga videos, as well as the journal and action plan.
- Continue to work through the sections at your own pace, and schedule live sessions weekly with your therapist at a time that works for you. Remember: You can conduct the sessions through the Online-Therapy.com app, which you can do from your car, office, or any other place you have cell service.
- Remember that even though your one-on-one live therapy sessions are scheduled, you can message unlimited messages.
Can Online-Therapy.com prescribe medication?
Therapists at Online-Therapy.com do not prescribe medication, nor do they have same-day or scheduled psychiatry appointments.
The site, however, does employ board-certified psychiatrist Dr. Steven Gans, MD, an assistant clinical professor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, to consult with the business.
How much does Online-Therapy.com cost?
Online-Therapy.com pricing is straightforward. With three different subscription plans starting at $39.95 per week with 20% off), your sessions will likely cost less than traditional face-to-face counseling — which typically range in price from $70 per hour, to more than $250 per hour, as of June, 2021.
Each of the three tiers uses a secure platform to protect your personal information. If you change your mind after you sign up, upgrading or canceling is easy to do.
Online-Therapy.com's price plans:
- Basic $31.96 / week – Includes eight sections and 25 worksheets to walk you through your specific needs. Your therapist will give you feedback daily, Monday through Friday.
- Standard $47.96 / week – Daily input from your therapist on the eight sections and the 25 worksheets. You’ll also have messaging support and a live chat session every week.
- Premium $63.96 / week – This plan comes with the standard eight sections, 25 worksheets, and daily therapist feedback. You’ll get two live chat sessions each week with your therapist, plus messaging support and express replies.
Further, you can cancel your membership whenever you like, and enjoy an initial 14-day money-back guarantee. Get 20% off (no discount code needed) >>
Does Online-Therapy.com offer free online therapy?
No, Online-Therapy.com does not offer free online counseling — but it does provide a 14-day money-back guarantee, as long as you complete all of the worksheets and sessions as scheduled.
However, online therapy app BetterHelp does provide a 20% discount for new clients and financial aid for those who cannot afford therapy. Check out BetterHelp now >>
Is Online-Therapy.com covered by insurance?
Some insurance providers, like Blue Cross Blue Shield, offer virtual therapy as a covered treatment option.
However, Online-Therapy.com doesn’t directly bill your insurance.
If it’s a treatment that your plan covers, reach out to your provider to ask about reimbursement options. Often, the insurance company will reimburse you for all or at least some of your out-of-pocket costs if you submit an itemized receipt.
Can't afford a therapist right now? Here are workbooks you could try to DIY:
Because it is based in Sweden, and is also a smaller company than its competitors like BetterHelp and Talkspace, Online-Therapy.com is not reviewed by Better Business Bureau or Trustpilot.
However, the good folks on Reddit have plenty to say about Online-Therapy.com, including this very thorough review:
Pros and cons of Online-Therapy.com
- All qualified therapists using cognitive behavioral therapy, a proven therapy method
- Low price
- Self-guided, which is a good fit for some but not all people
- Limited contact with the therapist, with basic plan including one, 30-min chat session only M-F
- Self-guided, which may not be a good fit for you
- Does not work with insurers
- No prescription-writing service
- Not a fit for couples or teens
Bottom line: Is Online-Therapy.com worth it?
Online-Therapy.com is a high value when compared with traditional, face-to-face therapy, as well as other online therapy apps.
Online-Therapy.com benefits include:
- Weekly live therapy sessions
- Online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course, with worksheets and daily feedback from your therapist
- Affordable, low price
- Secure website, and the option of anonymous interaction
If you prefer an online therapy experience that is closer to traditional counseling sessions, BetterHelp is worth exploring. BetterHelp benefits include:
- 20% discount for new clients
- Better Business Bureau A+ rating
- 11,000+ certified and licensed therapists
- All BetterHelp counselors have at least a Master's or Doctoral degree
- If you prefer a therapy method other than CBT, such as person-centered therapy, or client-centered therapy, BetterHelp has a much wider range of approaches and specialties
- Easy to switch counselors
- Prices starting at $65/week for unlimited messaging, plus weekly live video or phone sessions
- Financial assistance available
- Options for teen and couples counseling
Talkspace is another online therapy site you may have seen advertised. Read our Talkspace review.