No matter how much income you bring in every month, most moms feel they could can use a little more cash. Or, a LOT more cash. Most of us could use more spending money, and there’s always debt to pay off or college tuition to save for. If you don’t have any other uses for more money, then hell, might as well splurge for something you want, amiright?
One of the best things about being alive today, is there are more ways to make money than ever these days. The internet is a treasure trove when it comes to finding side hustles or new ways to sell your product or service, and there are money-making apps you can utilize as well.
Wondering how to make money using your creativity, time, or skill in your spare time? We’ve outlined all the best ways to score some cash below.
- How to make money selling products
- How to make money selling services
- How to make money fast
- Find legitimate work-from-home jobs
- Easy ways to make money
- How to get free money
- Best ways to make more money
- Start a side hustle today to make more money
How to make money selling products
You can absolutely make money selling products, although you’ll want to be careful you don’t get sucked into a multi-level marketing company, or MLM. Research shows that most who join MLMs never earn real money anyway, and they even wind up spending their money on products and marketing by the time they quit.
But you can sell products and earn a quick buck. If you’re crafty, for example, you could earn money selling homemade goods on Etsy.com. You can also sell items you already have (think old clothes from your closet, electronics, and more) online through craigslist.com, eBay.com, or local Facebook groups.
How to make money selling services
You can also earn money selling your talents and abilities in the form of a service. You could mow lawns, clean houses, help people with bookkeeping, or teach piano lessons, for example. Other ways to earn money selling your services include:
- Tutoring kids through VIPKID
- Teaching courses through Udemy
- Tutoring kids with Wyzant
- Working as a virtual assistant or social media manager
- Starting a virtual business as a virtual bookkeeper
- Becoming an online freelance writer
- Teaching kids through Chegg
- Driving for Uber or Lyft
- Performing tasks through TaskRabbit.com
- Delivering food using DoorDash or Uber EATS
How to make money fast
If your goal is making money in a hurry, you need to find ways that don’t require long waiting periods or a bunch of hoops to jump through. Here are some of the best ways to earn money in a hurry:
- Rent out your car through ZipCar
- Use GetAround to rent out your car for the day
- Rent out your home or a room in your home on Airbnb, VRBO.com, or HomeAway.com
- Sell jewelry you no longer wear on Worthy
- Sell old smartphones, laptops, and video games on Gazelle.com or DeCluttr.com
- Sell your gently used clothing on ThredUp.com
- Get paid to take surveys online
- Use money-making apps like SurveyRewardz.com, SwagBucks, Inbox Dollars, Prize Rebel, and Media Barn to earn money online fast
Find legitimate work-from-home jobs
Maybe you want to find a way to earn a real living from the comfort of your home. After all, who wouldn’t want to work at home in their pajamas?
Fortunately, FlexJobs.com makes it easy to find legitimate work-at-home opportunities in nearly every niche. This membership site can help you find jobs in your respective field, whether that’s writing or editing, childcare, human resources, or data analytics.
Read: FlexJobs review
Signing up for FlexJobs is easy, and you can use it to find freelance jobs or long-term work.
Easy ways to make money
Sometimes you want your income-producing activities to be as easy as possible, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Fortunately, the internet makes it simple to earn some quick cash without too much work, hassle, or stress. Here are some of the best ways to earn money with ease:
- Take online surveys with websites like ePoll.com, MySurvey.com, Opinion Outpost, Harris Poll, and Survey Junkie (Read: Survey Junkie review)
- Join focus groups using websites like 20/20Panel, FocusGroup.com, and FindFocusGroups
- Play games with CashDazzel
- Review music on Music Xray
- Test new apps using Erli Bird
How to get free money
Earning more money can solve myriad financial problems, but it can make sense to look for ways to spend less, too. A penny saved is a penny earned, after all, and any money you can keep will leave you better off.
Some ways to get free money without any real “work” include:
1. Creating a budget to track spending (and cut expenses)
Take a close look at your monthly income and expenses so you can plan a budget that limits how much you spend in fluctuating categories like food and entertainment. Look for ways to save each month, such as cooking at home instead of dining out and limiting your girls nights out to just once a month. (Read: How to create a single mom budget you will stick to)
2. Cutting the cord on subscriptions to save money
Speaking of cutting your expenses, you may also want to cut the proverbial cord — as in, cancel your cable television subscription! Doing so could easily free up $100 or more in cash for you to save, and you’ll have more free time to earn money, too.
3. Opening a savings account
Consider opening a high-yield savings account so you can earn interest on the money you manage to save. The CIT Savings Builder account lets you earn high interest if you have $25,000 saved or transfer at least $100 per month to your account. Or consider BBVA's high-interest money market account.
4. Shop around for insurance rates
Compare rates among different lenders for auto insurance, homeowner’s insurance, and other insurance products you buy.
Best ways to make more money
The best ways to make money are the ones that provide a steady stream of income you can count on. Yes, this typically involves getting a J-O-B. Fortunately, there are a ton of ways to find full-time or part-time work that can help you earn money now and later:
- Look for telecommuting and remote jobs through FlexJobs.com. This online employment marketplace can help match you with ongoing or temporary work in your current field or a brand new one.
- Consider picking up a part-time job. Look for businesses in your area that might be hiring, and make sure to check craiglist.org and online job posting sites for leads.
- Ask for more hours at work. Go after that promotion you’ve been angling for. See if you can pick up overtime hours so you can boost your pay over time.
Start a side hustle today to make more money
Finally, don’t forget the prospect of starting a side hustle — or a temporary job you can take on in addition to your full-time work. Side hustles look different for everyone, but they can include concepts like driving for Uber or Lyft, babysitting kids, painting houses, mowing lawns, and more.
Online side hustles include some of the ideas we’ve mentioned already — jobs like tutoring kids with VIPKID, taking online surveys, working as a virtual assistant, or finding online freelance bookkeeping work.
Some side hustles you can do from home also overlap; for example, you can work as a virtual assistant or freelance writer online and from your couch, just like you can write freelance articles anywhere with an internet connection.
The bottom line: There are more ways to make money now than ever, and many of them don’t require any education or training. And the more money the better, amIright?
Holly Johnson is a financial expert, award-winning writer, and Indiana mother of two who is obsessed with frugality, budgeting and travel. Her personal finance articles have been published in the U. S. News, Wall Street Journal, Fox Business, and Life Hacker. Holly is founder of of the family finance resource, ClubThrifty.com, and is the co-author of Zero Down Your Debt: Reclaim Your Income and Build a Life You’ll Love. Learn more about Holly here.