While Craigslist is popular for finding apartments, furniture, and even jobs, it was once a popular place to look for sex. Craigslist Personals helped people on the hunt connect with other people in their area for dating, hookups, and more.
However, in 2018, Congress passed two bills intended to curb sex trafficking online: Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA) and Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act (SESTA). Both laws hold platforms liable if they are found to be facilitating sex trafficking or prostitution. As a result, Craigslist removed its Personals section.
If you’ve been grieving the loss of Craigslist Personals as a place to find quality connections between consenting adults, there are many alternative sites to help you meet people. Keep reading for some great options for casual sex, dating, and more.
Adult Friend Finder
Launched in 1996, Adult Friend Finder (AFF) is the largest online sex and swingers community with 100 million users of all races and sexual orientations.
Who is on Adult Friend Finder?
Most people on Adult Friend Finder are looking to hook up, no strings attached. The pool of people you'll find on the site includes:
- Casual hookups
- Polyamorous couples
- People looking to explore sexual fantasies and kinks
What are the pros of Adult Friend Finder?
- Different ways to interact on the site, from messaging to webcams
- Mobile app available
- Sex tips and sex academy to help you improve your game
- Great for couples and singles looking to explore their sexuality
What are the cons of AFF?
- Lots of fake profiles
- Not a place to look for a serious relationship (which could also be a pro)
- Website design is outdated and hard to navigate
What are the costs of AdultFriendFinder?
Adult Friend Finder is free for anyone to sign up and browse, but if you want access to premium features (and an ad-free experience), you have to pay. Memberships start at $14.95 per month and include:
- Full access to users’ profiles
- Adding friends
- Sending and receiving messages
- Chat function
- Sending gifts to other users
- Live streaming
What's included for free on AdultFriendFinder?
- Like photos and videos
- Create hotlists of users you like
- Watch user videos on the homepage
- Access blogs and groups
- Filtered searching
- Public live streams
AdultFriendFinder Reviews 2022
AFF's Trustpilot rating is 1.5 out of 5 stars. Its parent company Various Inc. has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau website but is not accredited.
On Reddit, Redditors say that AFF is hit or miss; some people have had luck meeting people, while others say their interactions don't go beyond messaging. There are also many complaints regarding the outdated website design, saying it resembles a porn site.
Launched in 2002, Ashley Madison is well-known for being the “first married dating website.” It's the largest dating service that caters to married affairs.
Who is on Ashley Madison?
You may find many — you guessed it — married people on Ashley Madison. While you'll mostly find individuals looking for affairs, this website may be suited for people who are polyamorous or looking for a threesome.
What are the pros of using Ashley Madison?
- Free for women to use
- Lots of features for users to be discreet and anonymous, such as a “panic button” that drives users to a generic website
- Option to be anonymous
What are the cons of using Ashley Madison?
- Lot's of married people on the website, which may be off-putting to some
- Lots of fake profiles
- History of data breaches, which may concern some users
What are the costs of using Ashley Madison?
Ashley Madison is free for women to use. However, men have to pay $59.99 a month for 100 credits to interact with others on the app.
Men will have to buy more credits to interact with other users. Credits are sold in three plans: basic ($59.99 for 100 credits), classic ($169.99 for 500 credits), and elite ($289.99 for 1,000 credits).
The elite plan allows members other privileges such as:
- 24 hours of free chatting
- Priority man status (meaning your profile will be featured higher in search results, so other users have an easier time finding you)
What's included for free on Ashley Madison:
- One free message (this applies to men only)
- Unlimited messages for women
- Access to search and view profiles
Ashley Madison reviews 2022
Ashley Madison has 1.4 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot. It's not accredited by the BBB but has an A+ rating.
On Reddit, Men complain about Ashley Madison being too expensive and that there are tons of fake and outdated profiles on the site.
Bumble is a dating app that empowers women to make the first move. While it started as a dating app, Bumble has grown into a social networking platform women can use to meet friends and grow their careers.
Who is on Bumble?
Bumble has over 42 million active users. The people using Bumble as a dating app are all over the board:
- People looking for casual hookups
- Those who want serious relationships
- Couples looking for someone to have a threesome
What are the pros of using Bumble?
- Women make the first move
- Option to filter out people based on what type of relationship they want
- Ability to sync your Spotify or Instagram for a more personal touch
- Option to match with verified profiles
What are the cons of using Bumble?
- Small 24-hour window to message matches may be frustrating for users
- Profile verification is optional
- Doesn't require you to extensively fill out your profile
- Only women can message first
What are the costs of using Bumble?
Bumble is free to use, but you can pay for premium features such as extending matches, backtracking old matches, and more. There are also two subscription tiers available: Boost and Premium.
What you'll get paying for Bumble's Boost version (starting at $6.99/week):
- Unlimited likes
- 5 SuperSwipes a week
- 1 spotlight a week
- Unlimited Extends (lets you extend your matches beyond the 24-hour limit)
- Unlimited Rematch (gives you a second chance to connect with expired matches)
- Unlimited Backtrack (rematch with someone you swiped left on)
What you'll get paying for Bumble's Premium version (starting at $13.99/week):
- Everything offered with Bumble Boost
- “Beeline” perks (you get to see who already liked you)
- Advanced search filters (you get to apply as many as you like)
- Incognito mode (you're only shown to people you swiped right on)
- Travel mode (you can change your location to match with Bumble users in other countries)
What's included for free on Bumble:
- 25 likes
- Limited filters to search for matches
You can also pay for these extras:
- SuperSwipe – allows your “like” to show up at the top of your match’s list ($1.99 per SuperSwipe)
- Spotlight – Prioritizes your profile so users can instantly see your profile ($4.99 per spotlight)
Bumble reviews 2022
Bumble's Trustpilot rating is 1.4 out of 5 stars, and they have an F BBB rating (not accredited).
Bumble has its own subreddit with posts ranging from creepy encounters on the app to frustrations about people not filling out their profiles. But one thing is sure: plenty of Reddit users on Bumble want serious relationships. So if that's what you're looking for, you might be in the right place.
Check out our Bumble review.
Grindr is a dating app geared towards the LGBTQ community. When launched, it was dubbed “the gay version of Tinder.”
Who is on Grindr?
Grindr is the largest social networking app in the LGBTQ space. It used to be exclusively for gay men, but now it allows women, trans, and non-binary people to sign up. Because Grindr is so inclusive, it could be a great dating app for people who don't like to adhere to labels.
What are the pros of using Grindr?
- Very sex-positive and inclusive
- Many interactive features (like auto-translating and even “gaymojis”)
- Great for hooking up
What are the cons of using Grindr?
- Still mostly geared toward gay men
- A lot of tech issues with the app
What are the costs of using Grindr?
The basic version of Grindr is free, but there are two premium subscriptions that offer additional features:
What you'll get using Grindr's Xtra version:
- Ad-free experience
- View up to 600 profiles
- Use the Explore function to chat with users from all over the world
- Option to save phrases used during chats
- Option to read receipts
- Send 5 expiring photos per day
What you'll get using Grindr's Unlimited app version:
- Everything offered in Grindr Xtra
- Unlimited profile views
- Option to see what users viewed you
- Options to see who chatted with you
- Use incognito mode (appear offline to other members but still use the app)
- Chat translation (allows you to translate messages in different languages)
- Chat message unsend (gives you 24 hours to retract messages sent)
What's included for free on Grindr:
- Create a profile with photos
- Send and receive mail
- Access “gaymojis”
- See “Fresh Faces” (new members on the app)
- Option to filter matches by location
Grindr Reviews 2022
Grindr has a Trustpilot rating of 1.1. It's not accredited by the Better Business Bureau but has an F rating.
According to Reddit, Grindr is very much a hookup app, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a relationship (one user on this thread says it's doable):
Hinge is a dating app that lets your personality shine through. Hinge makes you fill out your profile with prompts to encourage conversation instead of just swiping left and right.
Who is on Hinge?
While anyone can sign up for Hinge, most users are looking for long-term relationships. In fact, the app’s slogan is “designed to be deleted.”
What are the pros of using Hinge?
- Prompts help you show off your personality and get to know your matches better
- Users can comment on prompts and photos, making it easy to make the first move
- Great for people who want a serious LTR
What are the cons of using Hinge?
- Geared toward relationships, so if you're looking for casual dating, this might not be the best option
- Some users complain about randomly getting banned from the site
- Hinge is not as big as dating apps like Tinder or Bumble, so its dating pool is smaller
What are the costs of using Hinge?
Hinge is free to use for matching and messaging, but subscriptions offer additional features and perks.
What’s included in Hinge's Preferred Membership (starting at $14.99/month for 6 months):
- Send unlimited likes
- Use extra filters and preferences (height, education, politics, etc.)
- See all your likes at once
Extra features to purchase:
- Boosts – Helps your profile stand out ($9.99 per boost)
- Roses – Makes your likes stand out more to other members ($3.33 each for for 3 roses)
What's included for free on Hinge:
- Limited number of likes
- Limited filters and preferences you can use to search matches
Hinge reviews 2022
Hinge has a Trustpilot rating of 1.4 stars. It's not accredited by the BBB and doesn’t have a rating.
The biggest takeaway from Reddit is that people on Hinge want long-term relationships. They like how Hinge encourages you to ask questions and comment instead of just mindless swiping. Users agree that they've had the best luck on Hinge and that there is a higher quality of people on the app.
Kasual (formerly known as Yumi) is a dating app that's all about making casual dating easy and fun. Users get matched through a game of cards: every day, users are presented with four random cards. Users flip the cards to reveal a potential match in their area.
Who is on Kasual?
There are over 5 million members worldwide on Kasual — an impressive feat for a dating app that was only launched in 2019. Kasual accepts people of all races, genders, and sexual orientations looking to meet new people and hook up.
What are the pros of Kasual?
- Kasual focuses on matching users based on location and availability
- All profiles must be verified
- Fun matching game sets Kasual apart from other dating apps
- Profiles are anonymous
What are the cons of Kasual?
- Not a dating app for finding a long-term relationship
- Users complain about the lack of activity on the app
- Short 24-hour window to message matches
What is the cost of Kasual?
Kasual has two plans: Pro (which is advertised on the site as “coming soon” and will cost $19.99/month) and Elite (starting at $29.99/month). Below is a breakdown of what you'll get with each plan.
What you'll get with Kasual pro:
- 5 Super Flips per week
- 1 Boost per week
- Find out who likes you
- View unlimited matches
- Change location
- Chat with expired matches
What you'll get with Kasual Elite:
- Everything from pro
- 7 Super Flips per week
- Advanced filters
- Read receipts
- See who is active
- Control privacy & security
What's included for free on Kasual:
- 1 Super Flip per week
- Messaging and matching
Pernals is a new-ish dating website created after Craigslist shut down its personal pages. It prides itself on being “the first personals app for dating and hookups.”
Who is on Pernals?
Pernals is for single adults looking for romance in their lives, whether it’s through casual sex or long-term relationships.
What are the pros of Pernals?
- Pernals prides itself on its safety; they take measures to combat sex trafficking
- App requires approval to help avoid spam and bots
- Great app for people who are looking for something casual
- You can use pseudonyms for extra safety
What are the cons of Pernals?
- Pernals is still a relatively new app
- Dating pool might be smaller than other dating apps that have been around longer
What is the cost of Pernals?
Pernals monthly memberships start at $14.99. Here's what you'll get:
- Initiate sending messages
- Search other members using advanced filters
- Get to see who liked you before matching
What's included for free on Pernals:
- Send free ads
- Reply to other ads
- View matches and message them
- What you'll get using Pernal's premium version (starting at $14.99 a month):
Pernals Reviews 2022
Because Pernals is a relatively new dating app, there aren't any Trustpilot reviews. It's not accredited by the BBB, and there is no rating.
Senior Sizzle is exclusively for the 50 and over crowd who want to casually hook up with other seniors in their area.
Who is on Senior Sizzle?
As mentioned, Senior Sizzle is for anyone 50 and over.
What are the pros of using Senior Sizzle?
- Easy-to-use website design
- Lots of ways to interact with other members through a two-way video camera, instant messenger, and even virtual contests.
- Senior Sizzle requires profiles to go through ID verification.
What are the cons of using Senior Sizzle?
- Free users are limited to some features on the site.
- There's no mobile app.
- The pool of users is mostly men.
What are the costs of using Senior Sizzle?
Senior Sizzle has two different subscription packages that range from $15 a month to $35 a month.
Here's what you get using Senior Sizzle's gold plan (starting at $15 per month for 12 months):
- Full access to user's profiles
- Send and receive messages from other users with the gold plan
- Send virtual gifts
- Join a models fanclub (where you can get access webcam shows, nude photos, and more)
What's included for free on Senior Sizzle:
- Access to real webcam videos of other members and models
- Ability to use search functions
- Ability to join groups
Senior Sizzle Reviews 2022
Senior Sizzle's parent company (Various Inc.) has 3.2 stars on Trustpilot and an A+ Better Business Bureau rating (not accredited).
With more than 55 billion matches, Tinder is the OG of dating apps. They're so ubiquitous to swipe culture that they actually trademarked swipe left and swipe right.
Who is on Tinder?
Everyone. Tinder is what you make of it, and the dating app attracts a wide range of users, from those looking for a casual hookup to people looking for long-term relationships. While it's always been branded as the “hookup app,” it is possible to find a long-term relationship.
Check out our roundup of other top hookup sites and apps.
What are the pros of using Tinder?
- “Swiping” feature makes the app very user-friendly
- Option to be verified by completing a photo verification test
- Very popular dating app, so you're bound to meet someone
- Pay extra for Tinder passport to swipe profiles outside of your country
What are the cons of using Tinder?
- A lot of fake profiles to weed through
- Lots of swiping but not enough conversing
- Doesn't encourage users to fill out their profiles
What are the costs of using Tinder?
While the app is free to use, Tinder offers different packages ranging from $4.50 a month to $26.99 a month to unlock more features like super likes, profile boosts (meaning you'll get more matches), custom top picks, and more.
What you'll get with Tinder Plus (starting at $4.50/month):
- No ads
- Unlimited likes
- Unlimited rewind (Lets you go back and match with a person if you change your mind)
- Passport feature: Users can swipe on potential suitors in different destinations worldwide no matter where they are.
What you'll get with Tinder Gold (starting at $7.50/month):
- All the features of Tinder Plus
- See which people already liked you
- Top picks to browse on a daily basis
- Free super likes
- One free boost a month
What you'll get with Tinder Platinum (starting at $9/month):
- All the features of Tinder Plus and Tinder Gold
- Priority Likes (any profile you like gets seen faster by potential matches vs. non-subscribers)
- Lets you message suitors before you match
- See the likes you've sent
There are also extra features you can pay for:
- Super Likes – makes your likes stand out to other members ($3 each for 3 super likes)
- Boosts – helps your profile stand out ($6.99 each)
What's included for free on Tinder:
- Up to 100 likes a day
- One “super like” a day
- Option to choose 1 profile daily from your top picks
- And here's how the other packages stack up.
Tinder Reviews 2022
Tinder has 1.3 out of 5 stars rating on Trustpilot. It's not accredited by the BBB, and there is no rating.
On Reddit, Tinder has mixed reviews. Some users complain about fake profiles and how people are more focused on swiping and less on conversing (which, yes, that happens). But there are some people who've had great experiences meeting people on Tinder — some have even led to marriages.
Check out our Tinder review and our reviews of other major dating apps: