If you’re like most single people I know, online dating is a mainstay. What more efficient way to connect with men interested in cheap hookups and glomming onto you in fits of slobbering neediness?
But really, in my experience I can’t say enough good things about online dating. Aside from being a one-stop shop of all things men, in my recent year-long tenure of digital connections I also found many, less sexy benefits of putting your pixels out there. Here are 7:
1. Make a friend. After one fun date with a a single dad my age earlier this year, Marc and I friend-zoned each other. We’ve been buds ever since. We recently went hiking with our kids, and we text a couple times per week, usually about who we’re seeing (and met online).
2. Help a friend. I’ve encountered several guys online who seemed cool, but not right for me. So I intro’d them to my single girlfriends by sharing with each party their handle.
3. Help your family. Last week my brother, who owns a media company, had a business lunch with a guy introduced him to — someone I’d met online and dated for a minute.
4. Do business. My friend, an accountant, has turned several otherwise dead-end dates with guys she met online into clients. When I needed an entertainment lawyer, I found one through a music attorney I went out on a date with, and met online.
5. Find old friends. I recently stumbled upon an old acquaintance’s profile. I sent him a message: “Hi Marcos! Your daughter has gotten so big! Hope you’re well!” and I got a similar one in return. Online dating sites the new Facebook? You decide …
6. Catch up on gossip. I went out with one online connection who turned out to be a business journalist who worked at the exact same news wire I did at the same time. He caught me up on gossip of all my old colleagues.7. Boost your web traffic. A couple guys I met online have become regular readers of this blog. Marc told one chick he met online about it and she subsequently not only became a reader, but linked to one of my posts in her online profile. Hey bigblueeyes74: We’ll likely never meet, but me love you long time. Muah!