We all say dumb stuff on dates. Especially first dates when everyone is self-conscious and sussing out someone new.
But there are some things that you just do not say to a single mom on a first date, assuming you’re angling for a second. Here are 12:
1. “That’s great your mom lives in town so you can leave your kids with her on weekends.”
2. “I am really loving this time of my life since my kids went away to college.”
3. “Wow, you look good considering you had two kids.”
4. “Kids need a man in the house.”
5. “You had a C-section? That’s awesome.”
6. “You don’t even have stretch marks!”
7. “Your ex husband lives in the neighborhood? Is his place near here [looking over both shoulders]? Do you ever run into him? Does he hate that you date? Has he ever beat up your boyfriends? Have your kids met any men you’ve dated? How did they react? Did they resent him?”
8. “Did you get your tubes tied?”
9. “How much child support do you get?”
10. “When guys marry single moms and their daughters grow into teenagers, I don’t know how they can control themselves.”
11. “My ex has a lot of issues so I really want to get married so my daughter has a new mom.”
12. “Not a lot of guys are interested in women with kids, you know.”
Interested in getting to know someone on a second date? Commit this list to memory and never ever utter a single one of them.
REMINDER: Plug in your email in the upper right-hand subscribe box. Don’t miss all the latest posts and news!