The necessity for single moms to get your fat asses in shape is far greater than the general public.
Three things made me recognize this fact this past week:
1. I read “The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food” in the New York Times. The story is fascinating and harrowing, and details just how fat and in horrific health America is. No big surprises, yet always surprising.
2. I finally got over a series of crappy winter illnesses that lasted a month and left me exhausted, grumpy, under-productive and far less emotionally and physically available to my kids, work, friends and personal health than I’m used to. Now I feel better, and I have a new appreciation for health.
3. My two brothers and I are dealing with a recent bout of our longtime single mom’s own serious health issues.
Who doesn’t want all that?
But the stakes are much higher for single moms. The burden of emotionally, physically and financially caring for children is disproportionately placed on the mother in most families, and this fact is exaggerated in single-parent homes. And that is not just for the time the kids live at home. Because, guess what? As you get older, you grow less healthy and have less money — and if you’re not physically and financially independent, you will likely be dependent on your adult children, especially if you don’t have a spouse.
We owe it to our kids to get to the gym a couple of times per week. Go for a walk, join your nagging girlfriend at the yoga studio. Go out dancing, for God’s sake. I know all the excuses: no time, no money. But your time and money are directly tied to your health. Neglect your body and you are more likely to be poor and die young. Health must be a top priority, perhaps the single biggest priority. Everything in your entire life stems from health.
And of course, now you’re single. You want to feel physically attractive. Enough said.
- 10 crazy sex things that happen to single moms (wealthysinglemommy.com)
- Dating as a single mom is the same as dating as a teenager (wealthysinglemommy.com)
- Part 1 – No excuse single mom dating series: “No man will want to have sex with my post-baby body” (wealthysinglemommy.com)
- My Life.. (thatgirltimeaa.wordpress.com)
- Eating Badly When Pregnant Might Make Your Kid Fat (fastcoexist.com)
- Mommy versus Mommy? (grayhairedmom.com)
- A History of Weight (365freedays.wordpress.com)