When launching starting your new life, you may find you need a new set of wheels. I contacted Michael Jordan, the executive editor the car information site Edmunds.com, and asked: “What are the best cars for recently divorced moms looking for a sexy, environmentally conscious, and family-friendly ride?”
“is a place in which lots of women find themselves,” Michael responded. “It takes an imaginative leap to combine style (which is an interpretation of environmental consciousness), practicality (to pick up dry cleaning as well as big clumsy items from ), and family friendliness (for easy access to the kids’ books to sports gear).” But it can be done.
Here’s Edmund.com’s advice for single moms with budgets for luxury, mid-priced and budget rides:
$$$: Volvo XC70
Why: “This car projects an restrained European simplicity that says you’ve got things under control, since it delivers better fuel economy than a crossover, has all-wheel drive for all-weather, and has the hatchback and flip-down seats that are a godsend on weekends,” Jordan says.
Price: from $33,450 (2013 model)
Mileage: 19 city/25 highway
$$: Honda CR-V
Why: “There’s a reason that crossover vehicles are so popular: they’re easy to drive, comfortable to sit in, wonderfully practical to use, and can cope with bad weather,” Jordan says. “And nothing says environmental respectability like Honda.”
Price: from $22,459 (2012 model)
Mileage: 23 city/31 highway
$: Ford Focus 5-door hatchback
Why: “This is a premium sedan packaged in a small footprint, so you need give up nothing in the way of style, comfort and convenience features, and everyday practicality,” Jordan says.
Price: from $19,200 (2013 model)
Mileage: 26 city/36 highway
- Mothers’ Day cars: Beyond the soccer mom (reviews.cnet.com)
- Single mom doesn’t mean welfare mom (wealthysinglemommy.com)
- 2012 Honda CR-V vs. 2012 Toyota RAV4 – small-SUV comparison (shopautoweek.com)
- Hybrid Vehicles from Honda: The Car That Gives You Optimum Fuel Efficiency (livesportstoday.net)
- 2012 Honda CR-V vs. 2013 Ford Escape comparison (shopautoweek.com)
- Are you a SMILF? (wealthysinglemommy.com)
- Slide Show: Best used cars for 2012: Edmunds.com (marketwatch.com)
- Consumer Reports trash talks Toyota, Honda (bottomline.nbcnews.com)