If you’re like most single people I know, online dating is a mainstay. What more efficient way to connect with men interested in cheap hookups and glomming onto you in fits of slobbering neediness?
But really, in my experience I can’t say enough good things about online dating. Aside from being a one-stop shop of all things men, in my recent year-long tenure of digital connections I also found many, less sexy benefits of putting your pixels out there. Here are 7:
1. Make a friend. After one fun date with a a single dad my age earlier this year, Marc and I friend-zoned each other. We’ve been buds ever since. We recently went hiking with our kids, and we text a couple times per week, usually about who we’re seeing (and met online).
2. Help a friend. I’ve encountered several guys online who seemed cool, but not right for me. So I intro’d them to my single girlfriends by sharing with each party their handle.
3. Help your family. Last week my brother, who owns a media company, had a business lunch with a guy introduced him to — someone I’d met online and dated for a minute.
4. Do business. My friend, an accountant, has turned several otherwise dead-end dates with guys she met online into clients. When I needed an entertainment lawyer, I found one through a music attorney I went out on a date with, and met online.
5. Find old friends. I recently stumbled upon an old acquaintance’s profile. I sent him a message: “Hi Marcos! Your daughter has gotten so big! Hope you’re well!” and I got a similar one in return. Online dating sites the new Facebook? You decide …
6. Catch up on gossip. I went out with one online connection who turned out to be a business journalist who worked at the exact same news wire I did at the same time. He caught me up on gossip of all my old colleagues.7. Boost your web traffic. A couple guys I met online have become regular readers of this blog. Marc told one chick he met online about it and she subsequently not only became a reader, but linked to one of my posts in her online profile. Hey bigblueeyes74: We’ll likely never meet, but me love you long time. Muah!
Never miss an offer or update.
Just pop in your name and email and be the first to find out what WealthySingleMommy is up to!
No B.S. I will never sell your contact info.